Visiting Texan - where to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Visiting Texan - where to ride?

I'll be in Northern Wisconsin (Ironwood area) for a few weeks in August. I'll need to rent a bike and want to see some trails. I'm guessing I'll have 3-4 days I can dedicate to riding. I'll have access to a truck so I can travel ~3 hours from Ironwood.

I've spoken to the guys at Continental Ski and Bike in Duluth, they have a Bronson they can rent me weekly. They seemed pretty cool.

Questions:

What are the must rides around there?
    Any other options for rentals?
    Anyone selling a used nice medium-size (17-18") bike?

Quick bio in case it matters for trail recs, I'm a top 5 sport racer and spend 95% of my training time on chunky Austin limestone. I'm not a fan of non-technical riding and I've never really been that comfortable in the air.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ironwood, MI? If so, the CAMBA trails in WI are pretty extensive. Check out their website for info. You also should check out Copper Harbor, MI, a bit of a drive, but world class. Duluth, MN is also starting to emerge. I think there may be trails in Ironwood itself, but I know nothing about them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You're not far from a new and developing trail area called WinMan in N. WI. Probably 45 - 50 min??? It's a small but fun area that can be part of your saying around 3 hours.

3 hours from Ironwood offers a lot of possibilities.

I don't know who rents bikes where you're staying. The little shop north of Tomahawk WI is a ways away but they rent late model fat bikes and others. Minoqua area might have rentals.

Copper Harbor is probably right at 3 or 3+ hours from Ironwood.

Marquette, MI is a great riding area probably a little farther than Duluth and a faster drive than Copper Harbor. Also a place where there should be good bike rentals.

Back to WinMan, if you go south you could do a few rides such as WinMan, Raven and Washburn as smaller ones and Underdown is bigger and get you away from humanity.

Basically you're staying in a great area but the best known MTB areas are a ways away. There are plenty of logging roads and lots of gravel grinding to do too.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The CAMBA trails near Hayward/Cable are 1-1.5 hours away. If you prefer more technical riding, the Rock Lake trails are your best bet and probably about an hour from Ironwood.

You can rent bikes in Hayward at New Moon or Riverbrook. Hayward is about 1.5 hours from Ironwood.