Vandalism @ Middleton Bike Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vandalism @ Middleton Bike Park

The city reported that somebody vandalized the split rail fence construction that was started and more will shut it down.

Please respect the property managers and the people who work on the trails you use. In this case join CORP's forum or contact the public lands department if you want something changed or have a concern. That's www.madcitydirt.org.

The respect is important in so many ways. The trails you ride are public places so we must share with everybody. These properties represent significant efforts and risk taken by property managers/owners, volunteers and other user groups.

Much about this particular place is unprecedented for the area such as the funding, cooperation with the city and new faces doing a tremendous amount of work. Finishing the fist part of the park is only 1/4 of what's available to us.

The city employee who was making the fence has gone beyond his duties to help and do back breaking work. This includes stepping up when volunteers did not. It's particularly hurtful to his work was sabotaged.

News of the vandalism came on the heels of a message saying we're getting two bridges, more machine time and more materials. Not what we need.

Please spread word to riders you may know who do not use the popular forums because they may not know how important the communication, giving and community parts are in order to have places to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Didn't those trails just open? How embarrassing.

mtbr member
    If the vandals are actually mountain bikers, they should be banned from all trails and also give me their bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    Didn't those trails just open? How embarrassing.
    Not yet done, grand opening June 19, and as I said it happened on the heels of getting news that the city is going went well beyond the original commitment. The city is building two bridges because not enough volunteers stepped up to get it done on time and we're getting funds from another source for more machine time and materials.

I'm hoping it does not repeat and that people step up whether that's labor, writing a check or drinking beer on the patio.

This is a very special situation we have with the best yet to come so I hope we get the respect it deserves.

Thank you.

=========
    Set up a game camera and catch them in the act.....just a suggestion.

g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got a message from Public Lands that a bike rider confessed and apologized. Penni said the apology will be accepted if the person fixes it ASAP and focuses on being positive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    hey that's an awesome turnabout. it's not in my riding area, but i'm happy to hear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great news the person confessed to it, but what would make someone do something like that to begin with?
    What exactly was done to the fence?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvt
    Great news the person confessed to it, but what would make someone do something like that to begin with?
    What exactly was done to the fence?
    I don't have all the answers. I'm glad it is fixed and the best solution is for all riders to be communicating and working with the people responsible for the trails as well as giving time and money. The communication and involvement makes sure all riders have an understanding and the giving insures everybody gets what they want or a chance to get there.

Trail building, volunteering, public lands - wrong business for instant gratification and keeping everybody happy all the time.

Again, I'm glad to be where we're at and I appreciate the help I get more than people might know.

Members who have read this thread: 0