unnamedepic- Mtbr.com

Thread: unnamedepic

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

unnamedepic

Aug. 28th if anyone can help out with ss gearing it would be great. Just google unnamedepic and its a 75 mile mountain bike race by Madison Wi. thanks

Bear
    Tough call. Most of the race is on decidely un-mountain bike trail. If you gear high enough to be fast on the gravel road, paved road, and rail trail the singletrack at Blue Mound might be a bit tough. On the other hand if you gear to handle the little bit of actual mountain bike trail that is in the course you will get left in the dust on most of the course.

I still think a cross bike is the better choice for this race.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    I rode the new section of trail cut in the connector between Blue Mound State Park and Brigham Park. It is mowed into an open field, leaving 2-3" of soft, springy duff on top of the dirt that is, energy wise, like riding in sand. Keep in mind that in order to get to this section of trail, you will be riding through a loop of single track that has about 1000' of elevation change in 4 miles.

But, as Bear pointed out, most of the miles are on a very flat rail-to-trail conversion.

Still think a single speed is the way to go?

Walt

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Single speed is for sure the way to go because its all i have these days. I am still wondering of what gear to use if it was all flat I would go 36/15 on a 29er. But if I geared for the hills I would go 36/18. I think I will just roll the dice and shoot in the middle. Another thing that now sucks is the day after is the rain date for the last wors race so go figure.

mtbr member
    like omg , life as a racer is sooooo complicated

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the heads up smart [email protected]#

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If it helps, I ride all the northern trails including Levis Trow and Underdown on a 32/18.

mtbr member
    Hills or not I will be in the gear needed to push the bike after 50 miles, I am thinking 2:1, 29er.

Members who have read this thread: 0