Twin City Riders , I need suggestions.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eayste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    217

    New question here. Twin City Riders , I need suggestions.

    I will be in the Twin Cities area , from South Dakota over the Memorial Day weekend.
    With all the rain the Dakota's and Minnesota has had in the last month,
    I need to know what trails are rideable and worth going to.
    I have checked out the trail conditions at the M.O.R.C website and it seems the trails are spotty.
    With any luck , it will remain dry this week and weekend.
    So far, I am planning on riding Lebanon Hills if it is open, The River Bottoms , The Farm , and maybe heading down to Rochester or Red Wing area for a day.
    Maybe to check out the Steeplechase area if it is open to ride ?
    Anything else in good condition and worth going to ?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: col200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    267
    If you're in the Cities, there is a sweet trail at Theodore Wirth Park. It's about 5 miles long but really fun riding. You can get all the info you'll need from the MORC website. It's built well and sheds water like no other trail. It'll be dry!

  3. #3
    Chumpstomper
    Reputation: SuperClydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by eayste
    I will be in the Twin Cities area , from South Dakota over the Memorial Day weekend.
    With all the rain the Dakota's and Minnesota has had in the last month,
    I need to know what trails are rideable and worth going to.
    I have checked out the trail conditions at the M.O.R.C website and it seems the trails are spotty.
    With any luck , it will remain dry this week and weekend.
    So far, I am planning on riding Lebanon Hills if it is open, The River Bottoms , The Farm , and maybe heading down to Rochester or Red Wing area for a day.
    Maybe to check out the Steeplechase area if it is open to ride ?
    Anything else in good condition and worth going to ?
    Eayste

    Minneapolis local here, be gald to help you with trail selection. What do you ride? SS? FS?

    Lebanon Hills: pretty good trail, around 8 miles a lap. If it is open you'll enjoy it, probably the most heavily-used trail.

    River Bottoms: flat and fast, but kind of boring. I would not make a point of riding in unless you have ridden exhausted all other options. Good for night riding, though.

    The Farm and its sister trail, Mammoth: Fun, quite technical in spots; enjoy them before the fall victim to urban sprawl.

    Red Wing (Memorial Trail): It's okay, but a long way to drive for just okay. I would not feel bad about skipping this one.

    Rochester: Very little to ride down there, but the best damn pork ribs anywhere. Steeplechase is not open for riding yet, not enough distance at the other trails to justify the drive.

    Elk River (Hillside Park): Fun singletrack, about 6.5 miles a lap. Up, down, up, down, up, down. Just a 30 minute drive from DT Minneapolis.

    Milaca: My favorite, but may be very wet, especially Bog Monster . Still, close to 13 miles of singletrack, all in a loop.

    Therodore Wirth: The newest trail around, in the heart of Minneapolis. Lots of traffic on this one, too.

    Don't discount Duluth, some crazies up there that will show you a good time.

    If you want a guide, PM me and we'll get you set up.

    Where are you from in SoDak? We need some beta for a mid-June trip.

    Cheers
    Mark

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eayste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    217
    Thanks for your input Mark .
    On previous trips to the Cities, I have ridden Milica & the river bottoms.
    I am hoping Lebanon Hills is open .
    2 other guys I am traveling with have ridden Elk River and Lebanon Hills.
    We are going to try to find " The Farm".
    I am from Sioux Falls.
    I had a friend that lived in St. Louis Park , but he moved about 3 years ago and I have not been up to the Cities since then , so other than what I read on the web , I am a little out of touch with the mtn bike scene in the Cities.
    I will make note of Steeplechase and the Rochester area .
    Any info on the Red Wing or Winona area?
    thanks
    Eric

  5. #5
    Chumpstomper
    Reputation: SuperClydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by eayste
    Thanks for your input Mark .
    On previous trips to the Cities, I have ridden Milica & the river bottoms.
    I am hoping Lebanon Hills is open .
    2 other guys I am traveling with have ridden Elk River and Lebanon Hills.
    We are going to try to find " The Farm".
    I am from Sioux Falls.
    I had a friend that lived in St. Louis Park , but he moved about 3 years ago and I have not been up to the Cities since then , so other than what I read on the web , I am a little out of touch with the mtn bike scene in the Cities.
    I will make note of Steeplechase and the Rochester area .
    Any info on the Red Wing or Winona area?
    thanks
    Eric
    Eric

    Red WIng is okay, a long way to drive for not much trail.

    Winona is supposed to be fantastic riding, but I have never ridden there.

    Let me know when you guys want to ride The Farm and Mammoth, I'll guide you or get another to do the same. Riding both trails is pretty epic, I think 20+ miles.

    Mark

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eayste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClydesdale
    Eric

    Red WIng is okay, a long way to drive for not much trail.

    Winona is supposed to be fantastic riding, but I have never ridden there.

    Let me know when you guys want to ride The Farm and Mammoth, I'll guide you or get another to do the same. Riding both trails is pretty epic, I think 20+ miles.

    Mark

    Thanks for the offer Mark , I will speak with my traveling counterparts and find out what we are riding on what days , and maybe we can meet up .

Similar Threads

  1. Oldschool-style Passion post. (CRAZY long)
    By Ska in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 01:20 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 07:10 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 09:02 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.