Trail recommendations for Land O'Lakes, WI / Watersmeet, U.P. Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trail recommendations for Land O'Lakes, WI / Watersmeet, U.P. Area

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to a resort located near Land O'Lakes, WI and Watersmeet, MI (U.P.) - pretty much right on the border. Going to do a bit of R & R - fishing, sleeping, possibly waterskiiing (if temps allow), and definitely some MTB! I'd like to get 3-4 good rides in. I prefer singletrack in the intermediate to advanced level - anywhere from 10-25 miles/ride. I also like a bit of double track/fire road mixed in for some speed.

I've been checking around at the trail listings for good trails in the area. I'll definitely being hitting Razorback Ridges one day, as I've ridden before and it's sweet. I'd like to hit Raven outside of Minocqua as well. Does anyone know if Raven is still open? I know last fall comments were going around that the state was going to close it to MTB.

Other trails I've researched, but never ridden in the area are Hanson Lake in Rhinelander, Log Jam in Phillips, Nicolet North Forest (Anvil, Nicolet, and Hidden Lakes trails), and Washburn Lake in Rhinelander. These are all in Wisconsin.

I'm sure their are good trails on the U.P. side, but I'm having a hard time finding any.

If anyone has ridden any of the trails listed above, and haven't posted comments in the trail review section, please let me know what you thought about the trail. I'd like to keep the drive time to 1hr. max. I'm open for recommendations also, especially on the Michigan side. Any favorites?

Like I said, I'm definetly doing Razorback, so I don't really need any feedback on that network. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider
    Hey guys,

I'm heading up to a resort located near Land O'Lakes, WI and Watersmeet, MI (U.P.) - pretty much right on the border. Going to do a bit of R & R - fishing, sleeping, possibly waterskiiing (if temps allow), and definitely some MTB! I'd like to get 3-4 good rides in. I prefer singletrack in the intermediate to advanced level - anywhere from 10-25 miles/ride. I also like a bit of double track/fire road mixed in for some speed.

I've been checking around at the trail listings for good trails in the area. I'll definitely being hitting Razorback Ridges one day, as I've ridden before and it's sweet. I'd like to hit Raven outside of Minocqua as well. Does anyone know if Raven is still open? I know last fall comments were going around that the state was going to close it to MTB.

Other trails I've researched, but never ridden in the area are Hanson Lake in Rhinelander, Log Jam in Phillips, Nicolet North Forest (Anvil, Nicolet, and Hidden Lakes trails), and Washburn Lake in Rhinelander. These are all in Wisconsin.

I'm sure their are good trails on the U.P. side, but I'm having a hard time finding any.

If anyone has ridden any of the trails listed above, and haven't posted comments in the trail review section, please let me know what you thought about the trail. I'd like to keep the drive time to 1hr. max. I'm open for recommendations also, especially on the Michigan side. Any favorites?

Like I said, I'm definetly doing Razorback, so I don't really need any feedback on that network. Thanks!
    I have not ridden Washburn Lake this year, but it's near our cottage and worth the short drive when we feel like it. Places near Washburn Lake (sort of) are Underdown and I suppose you could say 9 Mile too. Underdown has a lot of miles, but not spectacular or challenging, but I don't find any of the ones near there that good compared to Blue Mound and Quarry near home. I have not been to Underdown for 3 years so I'd guess it's a lot worse or a lot better based on the condition then. You could stop in shops in Minoqua, Rhinelander and Wausau and ask what's best.

Have fun.

mtnjam
    I don't live in WI anymore, but grew up in Appleton and moved away to LaX for 4 years to learn stuff. I did spend a LOT of time in the Wausau/Merrill area.
    There are some great trails, if you can find them, west of Merrill toward the cranberry marsh area and even further west of that, you can probably ride all day in the McGinnis Creek area, it's mostly 4 wheeler roads, but they are really buffed out and mostly used during the hunting season. You'll probably see a lot of old run down cabins and the such and if you do you are probably on some land that I still own back there, you are welcome to ride it if you want