Tires?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Tires?

Im fairly new to the sport, and I'll be needing new tires soon. Currently I have the stock Bontrager tires that came on my Xcal, and find myself getting loose in corners a lot. Just wondering what people in Minnesota are running for tires. I ride mostly at Elm Creek since I live so close, Lebanon Hills, Hillside, and Cuyuna about once a month.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I had stock Bontys on my Paragon and had the same issue.

Cuyuna is my home trail, so take this recommendation knowing that. Tioga Psycho Geniuses are what I run front/rear. They are pretty slice resistant (because Cuyuna) and have scads of traction, even at speed over scree. I've ran them at other trails across the mid-west and have found to be excellent in nearly every midwest soil type. Two things though: they don't do well in really wet mud or on really wet roots/wood. On wet roots and wood they are best described as "death traps". This shouldn't be an issue in the midwest since we don't ride wet trails.

Tioga now makes 3 tires with different versions of the tread pattern that is on the TPGs. The Venture (more aggressive) and the Fast 13 (less aggressive). At most internet retailers (PricePoint, etc.) you can get them for $40 a tire.

Not sure how they are on tubeless setup since I won't run tubeless (because Cuyuna).

mtbr member

Re: Tires?

Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    I had stock Bontys on my Paragon and had the same issue.

Cuyuna is my home trail, so take this recommendation knowing that. Tioga Psycho Geniuses are what I run front/rear. They are pretty slice resistant (because Cuyuna) and have scads of traction, even at speed over scree. I've ran them at other trails across the mid-west and have found to be excellent in nearly every midwest soil type. Two things though: they don't do well in really wet mud or on really wet roots/wood. On wet roots and wood they are best described as "death traps". This shouldn't be an issue in the midwest since we don't ride wet trails.

Tioga now makes 3 tires with different versions of the tread pattern that is on the TPGs. The Venture (more aggressive) and the Fast 13 (less aggressive). At most internet retailers (PricePoint, etc.) you can get them for $40 a tire.

Not sure how they are on tubeless setup since I won't run tubeless (because Cuyuna).
    I run tubeless and I ride cuyuna a lot. Never had a flat. Almost every trip I see someone in the parking lot or trailside changing a tube...

Tubeless FTW

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I run tubeless and I ride cuyuna a lot. Never had a flat. Almost every trip I see someone in the parking lot or trailside changing a tube...

Tubeless FTW
    Good to hear. Heard a few stories about walking a long way out without a tire due to tubeless. (You should always carry a tube.) Haven't got the courage to try it yet. Especially after sacrificing a GEAX to the altar of iron at Cuyuna.

However, the OP question was about tires, which reminds me, I have yet to slash a Tioga Psycho Genius.

mtbr member
    Just rode 40 miles at Cuyuna tubeless on Saturday and didn't even have a spare tube with me. I am running on Racing Ralph's also which don't have the beefiest sidewall (non-Snakeskin versions). Got some nice air on Bobsled and rode the rock garden trails also without a hiccup.

mtbr member

Re: Tires?

Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    Good to hear. Heard a few stories about walking a long way out without a tire due to tubeless. (You should always carry a tube.) Haven't got the courage to try it yet. Especially after sacrificing a GEAX to the altar of iron at Cuyuna.

However, the OP question was about tires, which reminds me, I have yet to slash a Tioga Psycho Genius.
    Yeah a spare tube and a patch kit are always a good idea, I wouldnt ride without them, tubed or tubeless. I originally went tubeless when I lived in Utah and was getting flats every other ride, that was about 2 years ago and I haven't got a flat since running Maxxis ikon exos. I run 2.35's front and 2.2's rear and so far I love them for everywhere in minnesota. I especially love the big volume and traction of the 2.35

FWIW I see a lot of people running racing Ralphs at the mnmbs races. I've never rode them but a lot of racers seem to like them

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    I've been using Bonty XR3's with great success.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Yeah a spare tube and a patch kit are always a good idea, I wouldnt ride without them, tubed or tubeless. I originally went tubeless when I lived in Utah and was getting flats every other ride, that was about 2 years ago and I haven't got a flat since running Maxxis ikon exos. I run 2.35's front and 2.2's rear and so far I love them for everywhere in minnesota. I especially love the big volume and traction of the 2.35

FWIW I see a lot of people running racing Ralphs at the mnmbs races. I've never rode them but a lot of racers seem to like them

Yeah, I think Im going to try out the Ikons. They look like they might be the best bet for the type of riding I mostly do. A little spendy, so I hope theyre worth it.

mtbr member
    They're worth the money, so far they've been durable and the treadwear is great

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tires?

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    I've been using Bonty XR3's with great success.
    Great tires, but the OP might want the XR4 in front per the comment on washing out. I have XR3 in both sizes and XR4. Latter in the front is better for loose stuff and when leaned over yet it rolls very well for a true knobby.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I ride Elm Creek a lot and am happy running Maxxis Ardents. They work just fine for me as long as I don't let them run too low.