Tire suggestions, please!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire suggestions, please!

After three years, I'm ready to retire my much beloved (but admittedly heavy) 26x2.35 Klein Death Grips. These tires could climb 90 degree angles and have held up well, but a lot of asphalt this summer has finally worn them down and really hurt their performance on the trail.

So, I'm looking for tire recommendations for XC use on SE Wisconsin singletrack. I don't mind trading off weight for durability, as I don't do much racing and I'm not much of a weight weenie. That being said, I'd like to come in lighter than the roughly 600 grams for my old tires. I'm thinking about going to a narrower tire, too--2.2's or possibly even 2.1's.

It comes down to finding the best all around tread for rooty, rocky kettle-morraine-up-and down-type WI singletrack. You guys/gals know the terrain I mean. I see a lot of those Kenda small blocks and Schwalbe nobby nics around so I've been looking at those. Any other suggestions?

Edit: I got some Conti mountain kings for my wife's bike last christmas and she seems to love them. I was thinking about the Race King as well?
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

No longer 26
    Best 26" Tire combo I ever ran in this area was a 2.4 Nobby Nic front, 2.25 Racing Ralph rear (FS) or 2.4 Ralph rear on a HT. Loved that combo until the big wheels called...

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bontrager Jones XR's (front & rear) -OR- WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 (front)& Jones XR (rear)
    PoisonDogFart

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Tires

You already mentioned the small block eight. This is a great tires for the kettles. I also love my Maxxis Crossmarks. The rolling resisitance is super low with the tight center tread pattern. I feel it hooks up better than the small block with more aggresive side tread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Best 26" Tire combo I ever ran in this area was a 2.4 Nobby Nic front, 2.25 Racing Ralph rear (FS) or 2.4 Ralph rear on a HT. Loved that combo until the big wheels called...

G
    I've read that the Ralph is a good racing tire, but that it might not hold up for everyday use. Did you just race on the Ralph, of use it on your daily ride?
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Rr

The Racing Ralph is true to it's name. It's a racing tire. It was a good hardpack, and even not terrible in (light) mud. But when it came to sand... bleh! I was using the 2.1 F & R on a dually, and whe it was in sand it didn't grip, didn't grip, gripped, and swung the bars around on me.

I'd put another on if I didn't deal with much sand. It wore pretty decent, was predicatble in other conditions, light, and I had gotten them cheap.

And yeah that was on my main ride, and I don't race.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    I've read that the Ralph is a good racing tire, but that it might not hold up for everyday use. Did you just race on the Ralph, of use it on your daily ride?
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    I think I used the 2.25RR Rear, 2.4RR front for a season and then the 2.25RR rear 2.4NN front for 2 seasons, with the 2.4RR going on the 2nd rear wheel for a HT. Am going to order up 2, 29x2.25 RR's for Christmas I think.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm a big fan of the WTB WeirWolf's around here..about three or four of us run them and we really like them. They just STICK when cornering. They are probably a little overly aggresive when it comes to tread for this area but my 210lbs so am not too concerned with my speed loss from a bigger tread. I don't think they are any "bigger" than Panaracer Fire XC's but dang...I love the confidence they give me in corners.

Sep 2008
    FWIW, 600 grams is definitely NOT heavy for a 2.35 tire...maybe you're mistaken about the weight as that is pretty f-in light! Having said that, I like Moto Raptors--a claimed 630g or so for the 2.24 race version. Great traction and actually rolls a lot faster than it looks.

This past summer I used a Mutano Raptor 2.4 up front and it's been great--just change it before fall as it doesn't do well on leaves.

One Colorful Rider
    After 3 rides 62 miles I have new favorite tire.
    The WTB Weirwolf-LT Race K tire, 29 x 2.55".
    I don't care if they are a little heavy. They Grip, climb, corner well and they are comfy

Second Favorite are the Kenda Karma 29 x 2.2 tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    The Racing Ralph is true to it's name. It's a racing tire. It was a good hardpack, and even not terrible in (light) mud. But when it came to sand... bleh! I was using the 2.1 F & R on a dually, and whe it was in sand it didn't grip, didn't grip, gripped, and swung the bars around on me.

I'd put another on if I didn't deal with much sand. It wore pretty decent, was predicatble in other conditions, light, and I had gotten them cheap.

And yeah that was on my main ride, and I don't race.

Good luck,

JmZ
    It's probably not the Racing Ralph that is the problem in the sand it is the size. A 2.1 is going to perform very well in the sand. Try a wide version of the RR and you'll probably get much better results. A wider tire of brand will perform better in sand.

With that being said I've ridden and raced all over the midwest on Bontrager Revolt Super-X's in 2.2 flavor and set-up tubeless with great results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Minion DHF 2.5 Front, 2.35 Back. Single Ply Kevlar bead.

It's pure heaven.

Nevegals are also decent, but they roll like they're on velcro.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Spec The Captain Control 2Bliss 26x2.2 I run the set on my 29er and they handle sand which we have a lot of in MN quite well. They also handle mud (we did a run mud today).

pink

Members who have read this thread: 0