For those wanting the WI free ride properties.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

For those wanting the WI free ride properties.

Hi,

As follow-up to a lot of recent threads I noticed our club president pointed out the budget for wood at Quarry Ridge sits allocated and unused. At Blue Mound we have the head ranger giving us the OK to use wood and I've pledged money for that.

All somebody needs to do is step up. Here you have a few public properties that will probably remain parks forever and a club with money, tools (serious tools and lots of them), trained and experienced builders as well as 4 FSTA certified club members.

Do some work for something that would last. I think the problem is few riders volunteer and give to begin with and FR/HD/Trials riders as a smaller group within so you have an uphill battle. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You have a chance to join an organization with experience, training, tools, money, and ties to the property managers.

The work day part of the season is coming to an end but there are still events this season such as the National Trails day at Blue Mound, Quarry Park day and IMBA visit later in the summer as well as the social weekend coming up. Also consider volunteering at the race. It's our biggest fund raiser and you might be surprised at how much help you'll get from others.

Consider joining the crew and picking up on what has been started. Visit http://www.madcitydirt.org and register to know what's going on.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    wow that sounds really good, i hope that really takes off! i loved blue mounds but always thought more stunts, ladders, freeride options would be perfect mixed in with the natural rock formations. too bad i moved

mtbr member
    Hey, those photos on that flickr stream? Are the ones on the first two/three pages from blue mound? I'm talking about the photos with the double, and the teeter/ladder drops.

mtbr member

Quarry Ridge

We can't build ladders for drops at Blue Mound.

Walt

mtbr member
    This is from a long time ago, but why not and what is the latest on this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07
    This is from a long time ago, but why not and what is the latest on this?
    Hi,

It's the same as always where volunteers are needed to make things happen.

Some of us did meet in Middleton yesterday. Right now we need somebody with drawing skills to help us prepare for the next PFRC meeting. Site design, selection and fund raising are the tasks at hand to meet the money the city has budgeted and have a site generally accepted.

Register here and select notify for forum topics that interest you and make sure you give time and or money if you like trails:

http://madcitydirt.org

Thank you for your interest.

mtbr member
    well im currently living in washington though i could be coming back to go to uw if i do i definately would like to take a more active role with trailbuilding/volunteering. its really good to see things like the proposed freeride type park in middleton and the idea of more diverse riding at blue mounds with ladders and manmade stunts and also heard quarry ridge got some more work done to it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yo Bitflogger,

you should toss this up on mfcmtb.com We have a few transports that might be interested in helping out with projects like this and can't hurt to have the info in more places!

weRd!
    Buck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07
    well im currently living in washington though i could be coming back to go to uw if i do i definately would like to take a more active role with trailbuilding/volunteering. its really good to see things like the proposed freeride type park in middleton and the idea of more diverse riding at blue mounds with ladders and manmade stunts and also heard quarry ridge got some more work done to it....
    Hi,

Bitflogger's project in Middleton is something he can define better than I can. But my understanding is that it's going to be centered around a pump track and will include some other skills features. I looked at the two possible sites with him. They are urban, flat, and about 3 acres. This is an excellent project that I look forward to helping to build and to ride, but I don't think it qualifies as "freeride".

We have another park at Quarry Ridge in Fitchburg. It has a main loop of about a mile with a hill ~100' high at one end. We have permission to build drops there including wooden, man-made stuff. The development of the stunts has stopped. Despite repeated appeals, we have not been able to find anyone to supervise the project and be willing to deal with the park management.

Blue Mound has ~300' of vertical available total, with ~200' in any one spot. I'm building a new loop on the south side of the mound that goes around a large ravine and another slightly smaller. We have permission to build ladders to cross wet areas, but any other type of wooden tech feature is not OK. That being said, we can use rocks to build stuff, and there is no shortage. The new loop will be a technical XC trail, but to my eye, it looks like the the ravines and their large rocks could be used for something more freeride like.

There is no possibility at any of our parks that there could be shuttle transportation. Quarry Ridge has no service roads, and the ones at Blue Mound don't line up in a useful way.

From what I've seen, the biggest drawback is that the land managers want to deal with a single person in charge of these projects, and the riders who want to do freeride stuff just don't seem to work that way. The land managers want to have a plan in place before any dirt is moved and the guys who build jumps seem to want the freedom to change things whenever inspiration strikes.

To be clear, I'm an XC guy and I only speak for myself. I'm the trail manager at Blue Mound and am in favor of freeride stuff as long as it's done through proper channels, the park management, who I deal with directly.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    Blue Mound has ~300' of vertical available total, with ~200' in any one spot.
    Top of park is 1719 feet, crossing at north end of Pleasure Valley is 1150 - it can make for good exercise, but it's not same as ski area riding with the road and park features present.

There is superb stuff in the park yet to come and unfinished by free ride types in the past and it would require surprisingly little more in terms of labor or money to get it done or accelerate that. That would hold true for all of the properties because there are hundreds of riders in the area but most all the trail anybody rides was made by about 12 stalwarts over about 12 years.

We'll never be able to get around the rules of working on public lands that Walt mentions but if we get the master plan done we have trails for generations that won't change or disappear with a change in land ownership or business strategy from a land owner or business.

We hope to see ya'll this spring, and fingers crossed for getting a lot done before it's riding time!

Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0