Sunday June 6 Work & Ride (complete Middleton bike park stage 1)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sunday June 6 Work & Ride (complete Middleton bike park stage 1)

10 AM on @ Middleton Pleasant View Golf Course. Bring bike.

We will finish the single track loop, dial in the pump track and fix up construction where possible.

We need your help. The city has given us primo land, unprecedented funding and made mountain biking an official city sport with on-going funding. This is a place to spoon feed and hone any bike skill as well as host events. City officials and volunteers stuck their necks out for the bikers and we have to give them our support and get this done before the grand opening.

Hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Big thanks to Tom, Mark, Kevin and Walter!

Small crew but lots of grade A work done. Absolutely primo hand cut bench, fixed up other areas, more tuning the pump track, tuning the jump line.

mtbr member
    Really nice work. This is shaping up to be an excellent bike park with the prospect of a nice chunk of singletrack attached. It's off to an excellent start.

Walt

=========
    Madison has got it go'n on thanks to CORP!

How do you guys bench cut with your hands? We use Pulaski's and Mcleods and we have to continually sharpen the tools....how do you keep a nice edge on your hands? (J/K)

g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~

How do you guys bench cut with your hands? We use Pulaski's and Mcleods and we have to continually sharpen the tools....how do you keep a nice edge on your hands? (J/K)

g
    On the how part - I confess that I'm a bit OCD as far as nice looking bench but it also rides well and needs little or no maintenance. We've also gone to paying more attention to corridor because a wider corridor needs less maintenance and lets you move your tread if that's the right thing for flow and fighting erosion. The better corridor prep seems to help all the people working to make better bench.

I try to spot key areas for flow or water issues, cut them first and then work between them. It seems to prevent mistakes and lets you see where you tread has to be so you don't cut your bench too low.

Our bike posse has a core of diggers 'n builders who are really getting it and know/like flow and I'm really proud and pleased that we've made so much progress.

Some of us are partial to the Rogue Hoe and we've bought more. Walter has slaved often over sharpening tools and I have done it with grinding wheel. Blue Mounds shop has a grinder that we have used over the years.

I hear you though because I'm careful and don't trash tools that often but bigger work days and time can be hard on stuff.

I took a shovel Sunday because I know there would be places we'd be cutting deep and it was a help for finishing but this is a pocked sized park and carrying it was easy. I generally carry a bent handle Rogue Hoe in my rig and that's my tool of choice if I only had one.

I suggest getting Rogue Hoes in your budget.

BTW: We'd gladly risk more trashed tools for more turnout.

Last edited by bitflogger; 06-08-2010 at 04:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~

g
    It's kind of like karate, but instead of chopping people we chop dirt. Everyone is a black or brown belt.

Walt

Members who have read this thread: 0