Summer Road Trip - Rogers, MN- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Summer Road Trip - Rogers, MN

Hi!

I'm going to be on a road trip this summer and looking for places to ride. I'm going to be staying with family in Rogers, MN for a few days. I'm guessing this is just suburbia so maybe good riding is hard to find here.

I see something called "Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge" nearby but didn't see anyting in the trails section. Also guessing perhaps with a name like Wildlife Refuge that might not be open to bikes.

Can anyone recommend some riding in this area? I'm sure there are many great trails to be ridden, but I need to be close to family.

Thanks in advance!
    Ted
    in the ghetto of Evergreen

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    First, this: Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists

Second, MN has many options, even in suburbia. In fact, MN has the largest network of urban and suburban MTB trails in the nation.

Rogers is actually more of a exoburb. However, it happens to sit at the conjunction of 94/169 meaning you can get to all the cities trails fairly quickly. (Hillside is the closest, in Elk River.) That also means you can head northly up 169 and be at Cuyuna in about 2 hours.

If you are road trippin' through MN/WI my suggestion would be this: hit the Cities trails while crashing with relatives. After you have left there, go northward, hit Cuyuna, then eastward and hit Duluth & CAMBA, then southward and hit Levis Mounds. That mix right there is over 300 miles of really really amazing singletrack.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Hillside looks perfect!

Thanks for the other suggestions as well, but family is deciding the destinations not riding. After we leave MN, we're off to Iowa.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by indianhillsted View Post
    ...family is deciding the destinations not riding. After we leave MN, we're off to Iowa.
    If this is the case, ditch the day of riding all the Cities trails, and head straight north to Cuyuna for a day trip. You will not be disappointed. Then you can hit Hillside and maybe Lebanon some morning/evening when you have time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Skip the local trails and go straight to Cuyuna. You won't be missing anything with the local trails.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm...intriguing

Ride More, Work Less
    I would second the trip to Cuyuna.

Here's a couple videos to get you motivated

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AxFkLSvxlGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And as you can see, you can make it a family ride
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yl5vzKpY4uo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Look for "Sand Dunes National..." Horse trails, forest roads, etc. I plan on exploring that area more this summer.

If you want something with less traffic than Cuyuna, try the Paul Bunyan state forest. Stick to motorcycle trails (which are also open to hiking/biking) and you will have a couple of days of flowing single track without seeing the same section twice. During the week, you may have the woods to yourself.

If you like sand, check out the single track around Huntersville. Miles of whooped out sand.

There are also nicely done trails just west of Cambridge.

He be a moose too.
    As others have mentioned, Hillside in Elk River is the town next to Rogers. Do not miss this. Best trail in the cities IMHO. If you take 169 south about 15 minutes from Elk River, you can also ride Elm Creek. Elm Creek has lots of curves like Hillside but it's smoother and not as hilly but still fun. You've got plenty of riding for a day on those two trails.