Standing Rocks : Open?- Mtbr.com
    bicycle dreamer

Standing Rocks : Open?

Everything else is opening early so how about these trails? I'm planning on heading up that way at the end of the week. Anyone know what conditions are like / if they are open?

Thanks!
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

=========
    The Portage County Web-site says May 1st, but you can contact Standing Rocks Park for more info at 715-824-3949. I love those trails!

I just passed you

May 1st

Standing rocks opens May 1st. It needs some "riding in" due to the extensive logging to a few sections of trail, but the trail has been completely cleared of Fall leaves and debris. It will look a bit different this year!

It rocks!
    Ride a decent line, won't ya!

bicycle dreamer
    I'll have to give a call ... cross the fingers to see if they are open now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrousness
    It needs some "riding in" due to the extensive logging to a few sections of trail, but the trail has been completely cleared of Fall leaves and debris.
    WTH?!?! They did this at the Reforestation Camp less than two years ago, and that literally destroyed certain sections for months until trail work and riding sorted it out. Where were they logging? What kind of growth was even worth harvesting? I'm super disappointed to hear this. I only ride it a few times a year, but this is still not good to hear at all

I just passed you

Logging...

It's a necessary evil. Without it, managed forests become nothing more than stick poles which never truly turn into big trees. Because it's logged is not saying it's not worth the trip. For example, trail #1 at Nine Mile is one of the most challenging, fun and scenic trails on the system. It is a CLEAR CUT area. No trees.

See you there after May 1!
    Ride a decent line, won't ya!

bicycle dreamer
    *grumble grumble grumble*

Trail dude on the phone sounded rather tired of telling people that the trails won't open till May 1st. Almost to the point of being unfriendly.

An extra hour to drive up to Nine Mile ... hmm ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrousness
    It's a necessary evil. Without it, managed forests become nothing more than stick poles which never truly turn into big trees.
    I respect sustainable logging practices, but I still get all grumbly when it messes up trail I like to enjoy. Camp recovered, so will Standing Rocks....just stinks for awhile.

Mikey likes dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelock
    I respect sustainable logging practices, but I still get all grumbly when it messes up trail I like to enjoy. Camp recovered, so will Standing Rocks....just stinks for awhile.
    I just rode standing rocks for the first time this year. Man I love the trails out there-puts me in the place of my dreams

There are only about 3 or 4 sections of the trail affected by the logging. All are near the beginning if you park in the main lot. I really, really like what some of the select cut areas did to the forest-opened it up & let in some nice light. It looks really nice in places.

I really dislike what the equipment did to the trails. Big ruts are definitely out there-but like I said only on a few sections. They are still rideable, but it messes with the flow a bit. One section is clear cut, & it is pretty interesting riding through.

A volunteer trail crew could clean up the damage from the ruts in a weekend, easy. Are the plans just to ride it out & let it fix itself, or do a little landscaping to get the epic standing rocks flow back?!

Either way, I'm still in love. Dream on.

Members who have read this thread: 0