So. Kettles heads-up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

So. Kettles heads-up

Okay, you might laugh at someone posting a "bring your bug spray" message like your mom, but the mosquitos are worse in the woods this year than I think I've ever seen.

Anybody who gets a flat or mechanical and has to stop for more than a few seconds might really be unhappy without repellent. I'm referring to John Muir/connector/Emma. You've been warned!

mtbr member
    good tip! those little suckers love me so i regularly apply bug spray- just be careful putting it on your head. it's important to do so but sucks when you sweat and deet gets in your eyes.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member

True enough...

Quote Originally Posted by slacks
    Okay, you might laugh at someone posting a "bring your bug spray" message like your mom, but the mosquitos are worse in the woods this year than I think I've ever seen.

Anybody who gets a flat or mechanical and has to stop for more than a few seconds might really be unhappy without repellent. I'm referring to John Muir/connector/Emma. You've been warned!
    Happened to me yesterday. Halfway through the Blue, broke a link. I had used "Deep Woods Off" and still lost a pint of blood to the little suckers.
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

mtbr member
    I was there Saturday and they are BAD. I sprayed before hitting the trails but still got chomped if I stopped for more than 10 seconds. So, I just decided to never stop. Good for the cardio I guess.

Pray for no flats.

mtbr member
    The only place you can stop w/out bugs is on the connector where there are street crossings. Besides that, don't stop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The mosquitoes are swarming like gnats, it's really nasty.

I hate rock gardens
    I have a thread in "beginners" titled "Mosquito Rant".

It is because of John and Emma that I posted it. No catching a breather, even when you hit the open fields. Worse year I have ever seen for them in my 38 years on this planet.
    MTB NAME The Hammer

Bear
    Mosquitos suck.

Just ride Blue Mounds instead! Two rides there and camping this past weekend. One bite.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It seems to be really hit-and-miss this year with the bugs. I rode last week in Kenosha (Pets) and was surprised how few mosquitos there were. I haven't been out there since the recent rain (and shame on anyone who goes out there until it has a good chance to dry out) so things may have changed.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slacks

Oh yeah. The mosquitoes are no laughing matter out at the So Kettles.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

I need skills
    Jul 2004

They laughed.

I used 29% deet repellent. The mosquitoes laughed at me. The bugs are bad every year there. It may be an IQ test, but I am going back there this evening.

I just spent 9 days in N Wisconsin and only had to deal with the occasional mosquito. I am going back to the Nicolet Roche ASAP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got nailed by a freaking sadistic horse fly about 10 times on my a$$. 98% DEET. maybe a clove or two of garlic, that keeps my wife away too!

mtbr member
    Mosquitoes were brutal yesterday I rode Emma and John Muir used plenty of bug spray and have cluster of bites on both arms and legs.. Had to wait up for one of our friends who cramped up didn't want to leave him behind.. The trails were amazing had a blast!! Next time we go were picking one trail to ride and never stop

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Spent the weekend at Kettles camping with the family. Even in the camp grounds you had to put a fresh coat of Cutter on about every hour. It was brutal. And the heat never really let up! The only place that was safe was to be at the beach.

I carried a bottle of spray with me on the family ride and had it ready to go anytime we stopped. That way we could actually take a break and the kids could enjoy themselves

Members who have read this thread: 0