Singletrack near La Crosse???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Singletrack near La Crosse???

Hi...I'm looking at a possible job in La Crosse, WI, but of course before I consider the job itself, I need to know the scoop on the local riding scenario!!!

I see there's a place called Human Powered Trails just East of town...are there other places, or is HPT all one could ever ask for?

I'm used to tight-and-twisty (live in Pittsburgh now), but my favorite is fast-and-flowy.

Thanks in advance!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You should check out the Gnome-fest sticky. I haven't been there yet, but it's gonna be cool, and it'll only be about an hour and a half away from you I guess.

mtbr member
    HPT is an awesome place to ride and the fact that it's accessable from town (on your bike) is a major bonus. It's a good mix of tight/twisty and fast/flowy.

The HPT organization is also very hard-working in keeping the trails in primo condition as well as advocating more riding opportunities. As home trail, it really can't be beat.

For weekend trips (1-4 hours drive), there a are a ton of other riding opportunities in the state of Wisconsin and surrounding areas...

Levis Trow
    Decorah Human Powered Trails in IA
    Camba trails
    CORP Trails (Blue Mound State Park, Cam-Rock III)
    9 Mile Forest
    Kettle Morraine State Forest

Just to name a few...

Also, if you're into the road side of things at all, the roads around LaCrosse are amazing as well. That's true of most of WI though. LaCrosse has a thriving cycling community as well.

I live in Dane County near Madison and if there is ever a place we'll leave here for, it would be to move to LaCrosse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Fantastic...great info...thanks!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you like fast and flowing, you will love HPT, within an hour you have (as Mentioned) great riding in decorah that is similar to LaX but slightly rougher I would say. Half an hour away you have Winona, MN that has two trails that are amazingly rugged and untamed. Totally different feel that LaXHPT but the two trails are both awesome and a great contrast to one another. HPT is nicely groomed and fairly smooth while winona is rocky and rugged, it is honestly the only time I've been terrified while climbing due to the bluff you're traversing. If you are basing your decision on biking, LaX would be a great place to live.
    I am the owner and Operator of www.speedysheep.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As previously mentioned, HPT will serve all of your dirt riding needs. The trail network is also expanding on an annual basis. When you need a break from HPT you can travel to any of the above mentioned sites and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks all. Now all I have to do is get the job offer!
    whatever...

Members who have read this thread: 0