Silver Lake Park in Kenosha County organizational meeting Feb 24th.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Silver Lake Park in Kenosha County organizational meeting Feb 24th.

There is going to be a meeting about Silver Lake Park being put on by Silver Lake Singletrack this Monday. "The trail building is part of a larger effort to help the county develop 10 to 14 new miles of single-track trail for mountain bikers of all abilities to be used year-round." Let's try to get a big group out there.
    http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/fat_...475563541.html

It will be a 75th Street Inn, 26229 75th Street, Salem, Wisconsin 53168 this Monday February 24th and 7pm. This is going to be an organizational meeting for friends of the trails and volunteers. There will be discussion how it is to be organized, make some decisions and call for volunteers.
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    can you give me more info on the silver lake parks trails?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't have a lot of info on it. But the county is working with local bikers to design and build trails. They're looking to build 12-15 miles total. Right now there are just a small kiddy loop and a groomed fatbike trail. The meeting is supposed to discuss the project. More info should be posted on www.facebook.com/groups/krmtb and www.facebook.com/groups/579182358817570

mtbr member
    This sounds like a great idea! I'm sure I could get a few guys to help build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A little write up that someone did about the meeting, I was unable to attend unfortunately.

"It was a good meeting last night. About a dozen folks came and offered ideas and opinions. Amy filled us in on what the county wants and where everything stands, which, in a nutshell, is as follows.

- Kenosha County wants all interested trail users to work together as one organization on all singletrack projects in the county.

- They want Silver Lake Park (SLP) to be done first and will then address other opportunities such as PETS and KD Park. (*More on this at the end.)

- They want us to use a professional trail designer to lay out the trails in SLP.

We currently have a trail proposal from Great Lakes Trailbuilders (GLT) and are waiting on another. GLT's proposal give us 10-14 miles of trail and will cost about $9000. The county will provide about $3500 toward the trail design phase at this point. That leaves $5500 that we need to raise. GLT will allow us to pay in installments so we can get started. Labor will be provided by us and the county. We will also have to sign the trails as well, so we will need more funds for that as well.

The county has also agreed to act as a fiscal agent for our group. This means we will be able to fund-raise as a non-profit using the county's tax exempt number. Any funds we raise will be tax deductible for the giver and will be earmarked for our use only. Last night's group thought the corporate sponsorship and crowd sourcing route would be the best way to go for now.

That said, if anyone has any ideas and/or contacts that may be helpful in raising money please message me with the info and I will add it to a list I will be creating to track with whom we are speaking. Nothing turns possible donors off more than being asked by several people for the same organization and we need all we can get.

Kenosha county really wants these projects to move forward so let's use their good will while we can and get some excellent trails built.

*KD park is adjacent to a foreclosed parcel of land that belonged to Powers Construction Company. The property is filled with piles of debris that have been there long enough to have trees growing from them. The land manager is working with a corporate sponsor (he's not allowed to tell us the name yet) that wants to build a bike park on the land. Once that deal is finalized we will know more.

That's it for now. Get your fund raising hats on and go ride for inspiration."

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Another person added this..."

A few clarifications...the County attorney is being asked (we should know soon) if we can operate the same way the friends of the Dog Park operate. In an ideal partnership with the County, FRIENDS OF KENOSHA SINGLETRACK or FOKS (approved by vote last night) can officially "Adopt A Trail" at SLP. The WIS Recreational Use Statute protects land owners, volunteers and users from suing each other. This is great! Since the IMBA club insurance has been eliminated that was a concern re people getting involved and stepping up. However, in Wis, we are blessed and with the Friends structure and the statute below, we are a collective of friends and not "officers" and can't be held liable as is true in other states. The set-up is squeaky clean, transparent, and funds we raise are earmarked for our projects. Brilliant! Wisconsin Legislature: 895.52 At Petrifying Springs, there is a bike path open for adoption, and our goodwill in correcting any issues on (unofficial) trails there will go a long way to the long-term potential of a trail plan, reroute and rescue of access to that trail system. Andy and I will set some times for a sit-down with the friends of Pets and the County, who is enthusiastic about the future of the project. David Speigelberg volunteered to assist as diplomatic liaison on that! Please set your intentions and step forward, the people who show up and help out get the most gratification and fun from their contribution! Thanks!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the information, keep it coming.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. It would be nice to have "legal" trails to ride, but I absolutely love the existing trails at Pets/Parkside and though I would like to be wrong on this, I highly doubt they will be as fun (at least for me) as "official managed" trails.

I haven't attended any meetings on the Kenosha County stuff because up until now it was all about Silver Lake and I really don't get out there much. Plus there's nothing that sucks the fun out of mountain biking more than sitting in a conference room talking with "interested parties" about it. I have been spending a lot of time on the Beulah Park trail crew though since that is much closer for me. I will say that CAMBR has really impressed me (especially in the past year) with the types of trails they are building. Much more technical than I've seen in the past. Not necessarily exactly what I would like to see, but much closer than what we've historically seen with managed trails. This trend has been going on other places as well, hopefully we will see some of that in Kenosha.

As far as the new KD park goes, I put up a page about 5 years ago when they first started talking about putting a park there. Tha page is here
    WI Kenosha New Unnamed County Park - Trailville
    The information is old, but you can see what's there and what the initial plans were. It's an old gravel pit, but more gently rolling than you would expect. Not particularly big for a Kenosha County park.
    It's located right across the street from New Munster Marsh.

Silver Lake park has some nice big rolling hills and an old gravel pit. The existing trails were mostly wide mowed XC ski type trails but there was a little bit of "informal" singletrack and some fun stuff in the old Gravel Pit. There is a lot of potential for some flowy long downhills because of the fairly significant elevation changes in the park. You can check out my map here
    WI Kenosha Silver Lake County Park Trails - Trailville

I haven't been there since they put in the new mountain bike trails last fall so it's not on the map, but I believe it was in the area by parking lot #4 (right in the center of the park).

Pets is a completely different animal because it runs through a deep ravine created by the Pike River and tributaries. It does also have some hilly flowy areas in addition to the ravines. It's a great comboThat's what has made Pets so much fun. There have always been rugged hiking trails in Pets, and that's why mountain bikers have been riding here for decades.
    WI Kenosha Petrifying Springs Park Trails - Trailville
    Here's a little Pets Fall Color mountain biking from last fall
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lw7nhH4zVa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kenosha County Parks also include Bristol Woods Park and Fox River Park. They put up some no bike signs in Bristol Woods a few years back (which was surprising because almost no one rode there anyway), And Fox River is mostly open grassy areas with just a little bit of trail in some wooded areas. There is some fun stuff there though if you pay attention.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.