Short notice: Good rides on the way from Duluth to Black Hills SD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Short notice: Good rides on the way from Duluth to Black Hills SD

I just arrived in Duluth just for the night (at least). Destined for the Black Hills, SD in no particular time. Would you local's just keep driving to get out of bug-land, or are there any cool places worth riding in Duluth or on the way? Bonus points if there's a place nearby to park a self sufficient trailer free or on the cheap.

Technical or flowy singletrack preferred... can live without 'features'.

Much obliged!

mtbr member
    Lots of great trails in Duluth:
    Trails | COGGS ? Cyclists of Gitchee Gumee Shores | Serving the bicycling communities of Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin since 1994

Once you are done in Duluth you can check out the trails in Crosby, MN on your way to SD:
    Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Trails | Shred the Red

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nice sites - looks like Mission Creek or Piedmont might be good bets. Any recommendations? I probably won't do much more than 10 miles, so nothing epic.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I rode Piedmont the other day before skipping town. It was really fun - just my speed. Conditions were great - dry but not dusty dry. Lots of dry exposed ledge/rock with superhero traction. Not a lot of GoPro drops - just good challenging moderately technical rock mixed with some nice forest singletrack. Just the right amount of traffic - not blown out and but fairly easy to follow - with the exception of a few trails I lost on the rocky lookouts (Admiral Rockbar?).

Seems like a fun area - similar feel to New England.

Perpetual n00b
    You really, really, really should have ridden Cuyuna.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly81 View Post
    I rode Piedmont the other day before skipping town. It was really fun - just my speed. Conditions were great - dry but not dusty dry. Lots of dry exposed ledge/rock with superhero traction. Not a lot of GoPro drops - just good challenging moderately technical rock mixed with some nice forest singletrack. Just the right amount of traffic - not blown out and but fairly easy to follow - with the exception of a few trails I lost on the rocky lookouts (Admiral Rockbar?).

Seems like a fun area - similar feel to New England.
    Glad you enjoyed it. There are plenty of "gopro" drops if you look for them.
    Next time you are in Piedmont, try riding the NIMBY area. Short notice: Good rides on the way from Duluth to Black Hills SD-valleygirl.jpg
    Short notice: Good rides on the way from Duluth to Black Hills SD-caseyfly.jpg

Dirt Huffer
    If you pass through the metro area of Minneapolis and St. Paul check out Hillside Park in Elk River. Lots of good tech and terrain,. They also have a teeter totter - hard to come by these days.

Hillside Park Mountain Bike Trail in Elk River, Minnesota || SINGLETRACKS.COM

10801 181st Ave NW, Elk River, MN 55330

There is also Elm Creek if you want a fast, highly buffed and manicured trail. It's lower on tech and is more new-school flow. Id rate it more beginner but it's a very fast trail which can be fun. I once registered 27mph on my Garmin in one of the open sections, which is a pretty good top speed for an XC midwest trail.

Once you're outside of the metro area, there isn't shit for riding until you get to the Black Hills. You'll like the riding out there though.