Searching for an LBS - Near either Lake Pepin or Eagan Areas - Any recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Searching for an LBS - Near either Lake Pepin or Eagan Areas - Any recommendations?

Hi all,

So the LBS I used to use closed up shop. Now I'm stuck near Lake Pepin with a few bike shops no closer than 30 minutes in all directions. So I've been trying to find myself a new shop to use. I thought I had the one I wanted after getting good service when buying my son's new bike, but they won't service Fat Bikes. So it's back to the drawing board.

Anyone have any recommendations for any decent LBS'? Rochester, St. Paul, Winona, etc are all the same distance from either my house (Lake Pepin area) or my place of employment (Eagan area).

I've seen some shops that look like they're specifically geared towards road bike riding, but currently we all own Fat or MT bikes (entry level). So really I'm hoping to find a Bike Shop that has knowledge and familiarity with MTBs, Fat Bikes, etc and that is comfortable doing upgrades, and answering newb/uninformed questions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Medicius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicius View Post
    ....Anyone have any recommendations for any decent LBS'? Rochester, St. Paul, Winona, etc are all the same distance from either my house (Lake Pepin area) or my place of employment (Eagan area)....
    I would recommend Valley Bike & Ski Shop - Minnesota MN Bike Shop | Giant Bikes | Felt Bikes | Tandem bikes | Burton | Atomic I purchased my first bike from them and most are regulars at Lebanon so they no Mountain Biking first hand. I also know they sell and service Fatties as well.

mtbr member
    I don't know the independent bike shops of MN super well (I live in the Twin Cities area) but I just had some serious work done on my cross bike at my local Erik's and they did a great job. I know there is an Erik's location in Eagan. They work on all brands/kinds of bikes and do sell fat bikes now too. Might be worth stopping by and checking out. I would reccomend Freewheel bike to you as well as they sell lots of fat bikes but any of their locations might be farther than you would want to drive.

Good Luck!

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    I have to ask. What needs servicing on a fat bike that your new shop won't touch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H20Trail09 View Post
    I would reccomend Freewheel bike to you as well as they sell lots of fat bikes but any of their locations might be farther than you would want to drive. Good Luck!
    Ericks is a good spot too, more of a chain though than traditional LBS. But yes they are worthy of looking at. Freewheel... well I have had a few bad experiences with them at least in the sales area so I can't speak to their service department. Valley bike and ski though is a great independent LBS if that is what you had your mind set on. Their service department is great and makes sure that the work they do is done correctly. I would easily recommend them to anyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Phinias, thanks for the feedback. I've been to Erik's and the sales people are friendly. I haven't interacted with the service guys, but I assume they know their stuff. I just...I don't know...wanted to find the small shop - local business owner thing.

CJohnson - in terms of the new shop and my fat bike, nothing. But prior to reading about chainring replacement online I was one of the average consumers that left upgrades in the hands of professionals, so I was calling around looking for someone who could service my son's broken bashguard and also do component replacement on my fat bike. The guy that owns the place said he's not setup to work on fat bikes and to check with other places.