rochester, MN- Mtbr.com

Thread: rochester, MN

mtbr member

rochester, MN

I have a job interview near Rochester, I've never been anywhere near.
    How is the riding there? The job could be the best in the world, but if my riding takes a hit it wouldn't work for me. I'm planning on checking out the area a bit when I'm there, but that's hard to do. Any locals would or wouldn't move there if they had a choice?

Where I live now, there's a lot of good, but not necessarily great riding. Winters are also pretty mild, which scares me about MN.

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rochester...

Look here on the MORC website for trails:

http://www.morcmtb.org/trailreviews/south/index.html
    and
    http://www.morcmtb.org/forums/forumd...nnesota-Trails

There are some near Winona, on both sides of the river. There is one in town at Rochester also.

However, the cities, and all those trails are less than 2 hours away. Also, Cuyuna (my home trail) is just 4.5hrs away. So its not as great Duluth or the Cities as far as "right there" mountain biking, but its not like its light-years away from things either.

As to the winter, Rochester is way milder than northern MN. That being said, I grew in IN and I will take the worst MN winter weather over IN winter weather anytime. Here it gets cold and there is snow, but it is rarely damp and gray and blah. Also, its way easier to get around in the winter here. The plows come out and by and large people drive like they know how to drive on snow. Get an all-wheel drive car and you will be able to handle anything MN throws at you.

Also, snow biking is huge here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I have a job interview near Rochester, I've never been anywhere near.
    How is the riding there? The job could be the best in the world, but if my riding takes a hit it wouldn't work for me. I'm planning on checking out the area a bit when I'm there, but that's hard to do. Any locals would or wouldn't move there if they had a choice?

Where I live now, there's a lot of good, but not necessarily great riding. Winters are also pretty mild, which scares me about MN.

thanks
    Or consider cross-country skiing in the winter. I bought some decent skis from REI two winters ago. Best sporting goods investment I've made in a long time. It's a great change from riding, and one of the best aerobic exercises. If it's not exciting, you're not challenging yourself on the difficulty of the trail you're skiing.

Walt