Rochester MN- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rochester MN

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Rochester MN

I will be living in Rochester for the summer. Anyone else here from the area? What kind of biking do they have around those parts?

And I know this is a MTB forum but are there many paved trails in the area for road biking?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm in the Twin Cities metro so I don't know a lot about the details in Rochester but in general MN has a very extensive paved trail network. Sometimes it seems they want to pave everything! Check out http:\www.morcmtb.org repost your question there and you will likely get quite a few responses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks. I signed up and am waiting for them to activate my account.

Central Iowa also has a very extensive paved trail network but not much for mtb. Soon here youll be able to travel anywhere in Des Moines on a bike without having to worry about traffic.

Also, if anyone is from around Rochester, I am looking for a group to hit the trails with. Either road or mountain. I am new to mountain biking but not to biking in general.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

rochester...

well, I live in Rochester. Its not exactly colorado, but you knew that already.

Roadbiking: couple fairly active clubs (google "rasc and mn") for some ride info. Very good paved bike trails. Not super long but in good shape and some are fairly wooded/shaded.

MTBing: kind of slim pickin's. We had some great stuff at a place called steeplechase, then the owner decided to sell and closed it. No word on that. There is a place called Eastwood in the SE part of town. Trails are not real long but pretty fun. I can ride about 4 miles w/o repeating a trail. Do it twice fast and you get a good workout. If you want I can show you the trails. PM me in spring. I took a trip to Northern WI last year to get a single track fix. I also plan to hit the mnscs this year to see what other trails are in the 1-2 hour radius.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That would be great and im definitely going to take you up on that offer. Ill be moving into an apartment there around the middle of May.

Living the thug life.
    Hey Tyler,

I live in Rochester as well. I would agree with all of the comments above. I would also add that there are a lot of fun trails within an hour of Rochester and the reviews of said trails can be found in the review area of the website.

I would encorage you to check out:

Memorial Trails in Red Wing
    HPT Trails in LaCrosse, WI
    Holizinger's Lodge in Winona and
    The Bronk Unit in Winona

There are also fun trails up in the cities that can be found on the MORC site(Minneapolis/ St Paul area), but you'll end up driving about 1 1/2 hours or more.

Feel free to stop down at Rochester Cycling and Fitness and say "hi". I am the head mechanic there and long time mountain bike rider. Most of us there have been hitting the dirt for quite some time.

Hope that helps,

Charly Tri
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Single Speed Junkie
    Be prepared to drive to the trail.

Winona has some good trails

Redwing will be the closest.

Twin Cities has a great cycling background. Give the guys over at morc a shout. they have really done a nice job building and maintaining trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0