Riding in the Stevens Point or Wausau area of Wisconsin- Mtbr.com
    Pizzaiolo Americano
    Aug 2018

Riding in the Stevens Point or Wausau area of Wisconsin

I am getting ready to retire from the military and we plan to settle in the Stevens Point or Wausau area. How is the riding? We are moving from Northern Italy. We ride both XC and All Mountain type trails here. I don't expect much tech type stuff there. Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There are trails in the area, but nothing to get excited about. There is some great riding further north, as well as around the Madison area. To be fair, I haven't ridden much around the Wausau area, so maybe things have changed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wausau has great trails. They have done a fantastic job at Nine Mile Rec area. Great mix of technical and flowy trails. There is also a new system in the area that I have never ridden, that is more geared towards downhill/enduro riding. But for XC Nine Mile Rec Area is great!

Pizzaiolo Americano
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbguy123 View Post
    Wausau has great trails. They have done a fantastic job at Nine Mile Rec area. Great mix of technical and flowy trails. There is also a new system in the area that I have never ridden, that is more geared towards downhill/enduro riding. But for XC Nine Mile Rec Area is great!
    Where is the new system? Also in Wausau?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    Where is the new system? Also in Wausau?

Like I said, I have never been there as i am not local to the area, but here is the trail info on the new park:

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...bike-park.html

Pizzaiolo Americano
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbguy123 View Post
    Like I said, I have never been there as i am not local to the area, but here is the trail info on the new park:

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...bike-park.html
    Thanks. This looks like a fun bit of riding. With the 9 mile area, it seems there is enough locally to keep me busy when I can't do the drive to the more technical trails in Wisconsin. Can't wait for the move!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'd recommend a fat bike and some other hobbies.

Pizzaiolo Americano
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I'd recommend a fat bike and some other hobbies.
    I already hunt, fish, camp, play pool, shoot archery and drink beer. I know what Northern winters are like...I also have a fat bike...

mtbr member
    May 2019
    You sound like a wisconite!! Welcome!! I am 2 hours west of Wausau near Eau Claire. I have ridden 9 mile in Wausau, which is pretty nice. That area has a few other trail systems nearby. If you want some rugged old school hand built shred, go to The Underdown near Gleason. There is lots of variety in the state, but nothing mountain-like. I don't think Levis Mound would be too far of a drive from Stevens Point either. It is in Neilsville WI. If you ever shoot over towards me in Eau Claire, I would recommend Lowes Creek for well maintained trails, Northwest Park for some tech, or Hickory Ridge for less traffic on very nice trails as well. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hartman Creek State Park is often overlooked, but pretty decent. Winter too.
    whatever...

aka bOb
    Wausau is getting to be a pretty good area as far as mountain biking, check out CWOCC – Riders and Advocates Also with the UP not too far away for weekend excursions to some of the best riding in the midwest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There is Standing Rocks which is a 10-12 mile loop which is close to Stevens Point. I've wanted to check out Jack Lake which I believe is just north of Wausau. Hartman Creek is easy flowing, Nine Mile has a variety and some rocky technical stuff. Underdown, as mentioned, is often overlooked. There's likely more, but that's a solid area of the state to have multiple options within an hour! If you want to race, try the WORS series or WEMS series.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

lots of options

Wausau has lots of options.

in Wausau
    Nine Mile is XC.
    Sylvan Hill is machine built flow ranging from Green to black diamond jumps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOdvlFW6e9E
    Ringle is new, and is up and running. A previous response described as X-enduro.

near Wausau (and hour or less).
    Underdown
    Jack Lake
    Nicolet Roche
    Perhaps the RASTA trails in Rhinelander.

Trails that'll be easy to drive to but I don't know the distance.
    levis trow
    win man
    Raven
    Camba trails.

mtbr rememberer
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    levis trow
    Camba trails.
    I'm not 100% sure of driving times, but I think you could hit the CAMBA system in 2-3 hours, Levi's in about 1 hour from Wasau. In that ballpark.

Levi's was an IMBA Epic ride, Rock Lake trail in the CAMBA system is this year, fwiw. The criteria for that designation are:

"Demanding, mostly singletrack trail experience in a natural setting
    Denotes a true backcountry riding experience in remote settings
    One that is technically and physically challenging
    More than 80 percent singletrack
    At least 20 miles in length"

There are plenty of other places around, of various levels. Eau Claire has a pretty fun system at Lowes Creek Park, worth a day trip. But Rock Lake and Levi's are the two that come to mind as places that will keep advanced riders smiling.

I lived in I've ridden all over the midwest and the western USA. Other than the verticals coming in 100-200' sections (if you are lucky) instead of 1000-2000'+ sections, plenty of fun to be had in WI.
    Join the Turtle Clan!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    There are trails in the area, but nothing to get excited about. There is some great riding further north, as well as around the Madison area. To be fair, I haven't ridden much around the Wausau area, so maybe things have changed.
    That's not a fair reply and I suggest you visit the area. The Wausau CWOCC and little farther north RASTA posses have done and continue to do great work. The LAMBO bike possee is on it too. They've kept up old school trails and are growing Zipline. Washburn Lake needs to be in the list of great rides.

Nothing against Standing Rocks, but closer to Wausau or north would interest me more unless there is a job or career reason for Stevens Point.

We have a cabin 40 minutes north of Wausau and I admit that more and more I'm happy to be there vs travel to more crowded areas. It's great when you don't want to ride or when single track is wet because of the lakes, rivers and winter options. Wausau has eating, drinking, shopping and grocery options that are good for the area. Add Granite Peak (always Rib Mtn for us old farts) having high speed lift coverage.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ