Riding ??? near Madison in December- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding ??? near Madison in December

Hello there folks from the Madison area! I am going be at a tradeshow/event for work December 10-13th. I'll be staying in downtown Madison with no car. Are there trails that are in ridable distance from the city? I'm coming from Ithaca, Ny ...so I'm used to cold weather riding. Is it even worth bringing my bike this time of year? Any info would be helpful.
    Cheers! Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesilicate
    Hello there folks from the Madison area! I am going be at a tradeshow/event for work December 10-13th. I'll be staying in downtown Madison with no car. Are there trails that are in ridable distance from the city? I'm coming from Ithaca, Ny ...so I'm used to cold weather riding. Is it even worth bringing my bike this time of year? Any info would be helpful.
    Cheers! Steve
    Snow or now snow will make a big difference. If there is no snow riding can be good before 9 AM or so when everything is frozen. There is an urban playground with pump track and jumps near downtown. There are miles of metro type paths in the city that lead out of the city.

If it is very cold and/or no sun that window of trails being OK to ride can be extended but sun will thaw the surface of dark trail easily.

mtbr member
    thanks man, I'm going to watch the weather and decide whether or not to bring my bike on the plane a night or two before I leave. The Urban playground sounds super fun, maybe I'll just pack my DJ bike and roll. Thanks for the info. Cheers! Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesilicate
    Cheers! Steve
    Shoot me an email. I ride on the weekends if weather permits. There's snow in the forecast today Dec 3rd, but it will probably be gone in a few days. There's no snow on the ground currently.

[email protected]

Otherwise, the trail Bitflogger refers to is Quarry Park:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4588crx.aspx

Walt

mtbr member
    Not looking so good for riding trails. The forecast for all of southern Wisconsin is for up to a foot of snow Tuesday-Wednesday. Check it out before you pack the bike.

Walt

Members who have read this thread: 0