aka bOb

=========
    pretty great news....lots of rocks!
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

singletracksuperfreak
    BOOYA.

If you build it, they will come...

aka bOb
    I went to the meeting yesterday and a lot of the big nuts where there including the mayor. They all seemed for it but there are some big challenges we face.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'm 2 hours away and I'm pretty excited about where this is heading *fingers crossed*

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I'm 2 hours away and I'm pretty excited about where this is heading *fingers crossed*
    We might need people from all over the state to send letters in saying they would use the trail system as it is state land. I will keep people posted and hopefully we can show enough interest that they go for it.

Thanks.....Bob

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    We might need people from all over the state to send letters in saying they would use the trail system as it is state land. I will keep people posted and hopefully we can show enough interest that they go for it.

Thanks.....Bob
    certainly drop me a line, I've got a few buddies who will gladly support any new place to ride even if it is someplace that may even be a weekend out of town for us

sure we're all n00bs or getting back into riding but riding has changed my life this year for the good, I'd love to give back

clown question, bro
    I'm liking the sound of this.

The Wausau are may be getting slightly more tolerable to live in...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    I'm liking the sound of this.

The Wausau are may be getting slightly more tolerable to live in...
    We are also starting a MTB club with the help of Fat Tire Guides of to help organize this so if anyone is interested drop me a line and I can give out some info on the first meeting.

Bob

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sweet! I have been sending them emails all summer long about this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am new to this forum but am a long time WI mountain biker.

Please let me know if you get to the point where letter and WI support is needed. I am in. I would definitely make the trip to Rib Mtn 2-3 times a year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Word from a Wausau buddy is that its a no go....

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvt View Post
    Word from a Wausau buddy is that its a no go....
    Nope DNR is coming up for a meeting in Feb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well thats good to hear. What was all discussed at the original meeting?

mtbr member
    Please keep us updated if you're in the know! thanks
    "Life begins where the road ends..." -not sure
    ...and prefferably starts going downhill :)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Update....

Here is what I know.

People from the Trek Store of Wausau as well as a representative within Trek Bicycle Corp submitted a letter to the State DNR asking for a variance in the Rib Mtn State Park master plan because the current plan does not include off road bicycling. That is step #1.

A meeting was held at Red Eye Brewery to gather local enthusiasts and local leaders to discuss growing mountain biking in our region. Trek Store set this meeting up and the IMBA Midwest Regional Director (Hansi Johnson) was there and gave a presentation. The DNR had a representative there (Dawn Bishop - Property Supervisor for Council Grounds/Rib Mtn State Parks).

On January 16th we (local riders) held a meeting to begin forming a more well organized mountain bike/trail specific club for our area (IMBA Affiliate/IMBA Chapter yet to be decided). We are currently going through the motions of naming the club, setting up a board of directors, mission statement, bylaws...etc. This club will be needed in order to work better with the State DNR and will give us a better more professional presence with them if we do indeed get trails in the State Park. It will also go a long ways to maintaining the already good relationship we have with the County Park/Forestry Dept (land managers of Nine Mile) and may help open up more possibilities on County owned land.

I recently received word from Harold Schmidt (longtime WORBA board member and currently the off-road bicycle rep on the Governor's State Trails Council). He informed me that at the last State Trails Council meeting the DNR had discussed the possibility of MTB trails at Rib Mtn and that they were "seriously considering it". Don't get too excited this doesn't mean it will happen but I take it as a good sign.

On February 28th there will be a meeting with the DNR (Dawn Bishop and others), Hansi Johnson from IMBA, and people from Trek/Trek Store as well as one representative from the new local MTB club. We will know more after that date......

aka bOb
    Thanks for the update Matt!

mtbr member
    Thanks - and keep us updated on the formation of the new club. A potential member here...

altazo
    It's very cool that Trek stays so invloved in building the sport within Wisconsin and beyond.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any updates? Lol have to ride down the snow again this year. I need a fatbike lol
    The worst is feeling the highest of highs, but always feeling the lowest of the lows.

It's all a dream...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein406 View Post
    Any updates? Lol have to ride down the snow again this year. I need a fatbike lol
    We had a meeting with the DNR on Feb 28th. Two people from the Trek Store plus one from Trek Bike Corp as well as myself were there. The DNR folks included the State Trails Coordinator, Section Chief for Recreation, Planning, and Development and the Rib Mtn property manager.

We were told right off that the meeting was not to give a yes or no answer to allowing trails on Rib. The main issue is that the master plan for the park was redone only 6 years ago and when it was updated mountain biking was specifically written out of the plan. Meaning it specifically stated that mountain bike trails would not be considered. Because of that in order to make the change the master plan has to go through an amendment process which will be lengthy and there will be many hurdles along the way. It will basically be like redoing the master plan all over again. All plants, soils, endangered species experts will be involved at some point. All other recreation activities will be allowed to come to the table too (i.e. horseback clubs could ask for access, atv clubs....etc.) Basically everything has to be considered again.

None of the people from the DNR were hostile or seemed annoyed by the issue. They basically were there to tell us that to get the amendment process going they would need a much more detailed proposal from us (meaning the local club and/or Trek). In short they were actually very helpful in giving us ideas of things to include in the proposal to help "sell" the idea of MTB trails to those higher up in the DNR that will have the say so to approve the amendment process.

That being said the amendment process relates primarily to the State Park. There is another issue with the ski hill lease area. That land is owned by the DNR but leased to the owners of Granite Peak Ski. According to the State Trails Coordinator the wording in the lease does call for the possibility for MTB trails on the lease property. There would still be a very involved process to make that happen but it would likely take less time than the amendment process. Plus it will require working with the owners of the ski hill to buy into that idea (shared trail pass revenue..etc.). If your dreaming of ski lift access at this point I would say dream on.....but it does seem more feasible at this time to start in that area of the hill.

Anyway you look at it there are a lot of hurdles to make trails on the hill a possibility and it will take a good strong organization to keep pushing it. Good thing Central Wisconsin Off Road Cycling Coalition has been formed (CWOCC | Building a Stronger Mountain Biking Community) or (https://www.facebook.com/pages/CWOCC...99807163439765). If you are interested in joining PM me or shoot a message on Facebook and we can add your email to a mass contact list we are gathering at this point.

Right now we are NOT taking membership because we are applying to become an IMBA Chapter. Once the Chapter is official all membership will be joint through IMBA (basically you buy an IMBA membership and choose the Chapter that covers your area).

aka bOb
    Thanks once again for the update Matt!!

clown question, bro
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Thanks once again for the update Matt!!
    And thanks for the work trying to get it all off the ground too!