Rhinelander or Minoqua shop for SRAM parts and repairs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rhinelander or Minoqua shop for SRAM parts and repairs?

Hi,

I'm near Tomahawk and know Bikes N Boards and Mel's in Rhinelander. Anybody know which Rhinelander or Minoqua shop is best stocked or might have X.9 and X.0 parts?

I suppose I could head to Wausau too. I recall a decent shop on south side of town.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Al, the owner of Bikes and Boards, has been extremely helpful to me. He has some stuff in stock, but will get it in over night if he doesn't. Al seems to have more of the higher end stuff then Mel's, but on occasion I have been surprised with what was at Mel's. Minoqua does not seem to stock much for high end or quality, perhaps more recreation range. And ya there is Wausau and when I need to, I go to Rib Mountain Cycles on Cty N going East off of Hwy 51/39. They are hit and miss too with parts, mostly mid level entry in stocked parts, and I am not in impressed with their wrenching. I've always done my own mechanics and after leaving my bike there twice I will continue to do my own wrenching!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I doubt any shop north of Madison (save for Green Bay possibly) has X-0 or X-9 on hand. You have to be a bit of a hard core to select parts at that level and most shops probably have X-7 or SLX parts on hand at best. I don't blame them as most people want an inexpensive fix when something goes out. Why buy something that you'll have to discount someday to get sold. But a good shop can get them overnight for you. I used to get parts over night in Medford from Gary at Pine Line Sports if I ordered by noon and picked then up late in the afternoon.

I'm fixing a Trek 8700 for my neighbor. The right shifter crapped out. They decided they wanted the bike fixed on a budget so I found a Sun Race shifter (8-speed) and Tektro brake levers to replace the Shimano LX shifters that died. The brake and shifter are integrated so I had to buy a separate set up.

I have to say I have had two very good experiences at Mels. First they helped me get the ISIS bottom bracket in my Giant Trance a number of years ago. The mechanic explained that with ISIS bottom brackets you should install each side partially instead of one side at a time as the instructions tell you.

Two years ago I was on vacation in Rhinelander when I noticed my wife's bike had a broken spoke. Mels installed a new spoke while I shopped for a few items to go fishing and I was able to get the wheel fixed in one trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks.

The piece that holds low limit screw broke. I hope SRAM has small parts so I don't have to trash the X.0.

Both Bikes-N-Boards and Mel's have saved the day for me before. I got some fat Nevegals at Bikes-N-Boards and enjoyed talking trail work with Al. I very much appreciate the work that has been done at Washburn and Underdown because they're close to our cottage and a lot of years I spend more time doing trail work than riding.

Looks Cheq Adventure Company in Minocqua is the only place with a long cage X.9 in the whole area.

I understand margins and inventory but would think an X.9 is not so exotic and of course I'm made at myself for leaving my spare der and shifters at home.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Need a shop too!

I will be heading to a shop somewhere there soon too! Trashed another derailleur hanger and possibly the xtr rear der at the good ol' Nicolet- Roche .... again!!! Also ripped off the aluminum rim on the stay that helps to secure the hanger and I doubt I will receive any help from Titus. With that let me publicly acknowledge that although I have liked my Titus' very much they just don't hold up to my riding, I guess? Broke my Titus Locomoto in half, ya top and bottom tubes, in the mountains of New Mexico and did not get any support or warranty from Titus. They claimed I rode too hard. And now this. The frame is a 2007 so ...? Where do I go in Wisconsin to get help from a Titus dealer? I am most likely screwed and will look to a 29'er SS w/ front suspension. Less parts to break and no more shifting?! And about Titus?, stay away from them they are not the original company that started out with a fine hand crafted bike. My bike could not stand up to the brutal Wisconsin trails. Titus Sucks!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    I will be heading to a shop somewhere there soon too! Trashed another derailleur hanger and possibly the xtr rear der at the good ol' Nicolet- Roche .... again!!! Also ripped off the aluminum rim on the stay that helps to secure the hanger and I doubt I will receive any help from Titus. With that let me publicly acknowledge that although I have liked my Titus' very much they just don't hold up to my riding, I guess? Broke my Titus Locomoto in half, ya top and bottom tubes, in the mountains of New Mexico and did not get any support or warranty from Titus. They claimed I rode too hard. And now this. The frame is a 2007 so ...? Where do I go in Wisconsin to get help from a Titus dealer? I am most likely screwed and will look to a 29'er SS w/ front suspension. Less parts to break and no more shifting?! And about Titus?, stay away from them they are not the original company that started out with a fine hand crafted bike. My bike could not stand up to the brutal Wisconsin trails. Titus Sucks!!!
    This is a good link to remember:

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/section/4/27/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bikes n Boards

Looks like this bike shop is the One for me. Had a good visit with Ivan going over all my bike situations; frame damage is #1, snapped derailleur, broke a spoke blade out of my Mavic SLR's(so need truing), decided against replacing my overly expensive XTR R. Der. with an XT, ... that bad, I'm bad. The shop does not deal Titus, but they convinced them to warranty the rear triangle, chain side, and I am getting it replaced at no charge. Now that's an LBS. In the mean time I bought their Fischer Rig 29'er Single Speed at a steal of a deal and am currently riding that and will or perhaps will give up all the fancy gearing and shocks. I might have a Titus 2007 Racer X fully loaded with quality for sale if any one is interested? Thanks Bikes n Boards!

Roc
    mtbr member
    Bikes n Boards rocks!!!! IMO best bike shop of the North Woods

Members who have read this thread: 0