Rental info near Elkhorn (or Kettle Morain area?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rental info near Elkhorn (or Kettle Morain area?)

I found these guys, but looking for any other suggestions.
    http://www.backyardbikes.com/Rentals.asp

Heading to Elkhorn area to visit my brother in a couple weeks and was kicking around the possibility of riding one day. He doesn't ride much anymore so I'm not sure how much he knows about the LBS scene there. I think we would be riding the KM area? I'll double check, but I think those are his go-to trails.

Looking to rent a FS 29'er preferably in the XC vein. Hardtail would probably be ok but my next bike would likely be a FS. I have a 26" AM pig and a rigid 29'er. Would love something in between some day.

The link above has GF hifi and Niner Jet in my size (XL). Anybody rent SantaCruz Tallboys in that area? Would really love to try one of those. Any other options appreciated.

mtbr member
    Highly unlikely you will find a Santa Cruz rental in the area. Backyard Bikes is the only shop I know of in the area that regularly rents bikes, also that it is by far the most convenient being a couple miles from the Muir trailhead. You might be able to call a couple shops in the area to rent a bike under the table. The only ones that come to mind that might are BicycleWise in Whitewater, RRB Cycles in Lake Geneva, Bike Doctor in Dousman, or Wheel and Sprocket in Delafield (doubtful but worth a shot).

mtbr member
    Thanks. Called my brother last night and he agreed backyard is the way to go most likely. I guess he's pretty familiar with the shop/owner.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
    Highly unlikely you will find a Santa Cruz rental in the area. Backyard Bikes is the only shop I know of in the area that regularly rents bikes, also that it is by far the most convenient being a couple miles from the Muir trailhead. You might be able to call a couple shops in the area to rent a bike under the table. The only ones that come to mind that might are BicycleWise in Whitewater, RRB Cycles in Lake Geneva, Bike Doctor in Dousman, or Wheel and Sprocket in Delafield (doubtful but worth a shot).
    Wheel in Delafield has rentals and demos. Not sure about any 29er's though. may want to call them about that.
    Ray's Indoor Bike Park MKE.
    ------------------------------------------
    It's how I roll..

mtbr member
    Fyi. Rented a hifi from backyard today and rode the white loop and skills area with my nephew. Now just waiting for my brother to get off work to hit a longer ride. It's nice riding in shade! But I miss the desert scenery.

mtbr member
    Thanks again! After hitting the white route and skills area earlier in the day with my 10yr old nephew, I rode the Blue route that evening with my brother and has a great time! Loved he trail system, thanks for sharing. Very different from what I ride in CO. If you're ever coming to Fruita/Grand Junction hit me up in the Western Slope forums and I'll return the favor.

Backyard Bikes was GREAT to rent from. Loved the ease of the online rental form and a very convenient location. Next time I'll spend the extra $10 and try the JET Niner instead of the HiFi though. The GF was just not quite the right fit or setup for me. Had numb hands after 8 miles (too used to my ergons?) and never had so many pedal strikes in my life! Had them add 30lbs to the rear shock after the first ride and even with the propedal on I still fought pedal strikes. Might just be me not used to riding platforms maybe?

mtbr member
    Good to hear you enjoyed Kettle! While I do love riding Kettle, the Kokopelli trails in your neighborhood are among my favorite trails I have ever ridden. I might just have to take you up on your offer next time I make it there.