Recommendations for skills coaches near Madison- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Recommendations for skills coaches near Madison

I'm a roadie who got into road cycling mostly b/c it doesn't require a lot of on-bike acrobatics. So the weight shifting, etc required for MTB, are somewhat foreign to me. I've tried bunny hopping and log clearing, with various levels of success (or lack thereof), and would like to improve these areas (especially manuals, hopping logs at speed, etc).

Any recommendation for coach located close to Madison? I know there's a skills session available in September, but the pricing is a bit steep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by echappy View Post
    I'm a roadie who got into road cycling mostly b/c it doesn't require a lot of on-bike acrobatics. So the weight shifting, etc required for MTB, are somewhat foreign to me. I've tried bunny hopping and log clearing, with various levels of success (or lack thereof), and would like to improve these areas (especially manuals, hopping logs at speed, etc).

Any recommendation for coach located close to Madison? I know there's a skills session available in September, but the pricing is a bit steep.
    You'll get far more local eyes on your topic if you post this on the madcitydirt.com site. Some of the Blackhawk Ski Club instructors are qualified but I don't know about their availability. Last season a coach and instructor offered private lessons.

You can get a lot out of joining the regular group rides. That's 1x a week at CamRock and 2x a week from Capital Brewery. Those no drop rides usually have Blackhawk youth instructors and NICA coaches as well as jump and trials oriented riders. The brewery rides often have riders who do the jump lines, skinnies and old school trail bits.

Know this about the second clinic weekend coming in September. It costs that much to make it happen. The clinics weekends were done because of limited help. The new skills building area under construction right now? That's a $25,000 bill. If riders are not spending a lot of time making it all happen themselves professionals have to do it. The professionals with a sustainable business are not cheap.

No matter what make sure you're a Blackhawk member and get to the new skills development area being built right now.

Good luck.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    May 2018
    thanks for chiming in! I'd love to take classes with the instructors at Blackhawk, but it appears they may be limited to school-age children only?

After receiving discounts on the instruction, it would appear that it's not a bad deal overall. Debating btwn the half-day fundamentals course vs the two-day session, as the latter may have "too much" content to process over a weekend.

I'll definitely get started with membership at Blackhawk, though unfortunately, i don't think my skill levels are there to allow me to take advantage. Will also definitely be happy to participate in trail work to help make this sustainable. Current move is set for early July, and i'm hoping to join one of the rides soon after.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    This motivational speaker is from Madison.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FYI, the Ninja clinics people did add instructors for the first session based on the waiting list so consider that for their fall session. The next session should be better automatically if only from the recent, current and next up trail work.

Blackhawk's new learning area is just about completed. There's a new area to session and spoon feed how to drop and jump. More repair and completing projects at Blackhawk and Pleasant View next door started this week. The new construction is REALLY good lead by Jeremy W known for his Red Bull course, Bentonville and other great work.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the info. I actually signed up for the skills session at Blackhawk and will go buy my pass shortly.

Haven't been able to really ride my MTB for a long time (the terrain here in Philly is surprisingly challenging), but hoping to get up to speed by the time they do the clinic.