Realtor in Minneapolis?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Realtor in Minneapolis?

Any MTBers make their living as a realtor in the Minneapolis area? If so, please send me your contact details. I'd love to discuss home buying with some who knows about access to local trails. If you know anyone, or can recommend a realtor please contact me. Hell, even a roadie would do.

Full disclosure.. I asked the same question in the CO forum about Denver. My wife and I are wrapping up our time in Australia, we're considering returning to Austin (our home) or moving to Denver or Minneapolis. There are heaps of factors to consider in all three, but home prices and schools are the factors we're looking at now. Access to a trail w/o driving is a must.
    Draft College Republicans

He be a moose too.
    Take a look at the MORC site, Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists, they have maps of where trails are and good descriptions of the trails. The Mpls area has pretty good riding opportunities for a big city.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    Take a look at the MORC site, Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists, they have maps of where trails are and good descriptions of the trails. The Mpls area has pretty good riding opportunities for a big city.
    I checked out their maps, but I'd like correlate housing, schools, and trails to make a decision. Someone in the real estate business who is a mountain biker would be highly beneficial. I like the Blaine and Ham Lake area, but according to the MORC map there is nothing to be ridden in that area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most trails are in the south metro area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    I checked out their maps, but I'd like correlate housing, schools, and trails to make a decision. Someone in the real estate business who is a mountain biker would be highly beneficial. I like the Blaine and Ham Lake area, but according to the MORC map there is nothing to be ridden in that area.
    The Blaine and Ham Lake area is very flat and has sandier soil. MORC would like to get some trails in the north metro, but the lack of hills and sandy soil makes it almost impossible up that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    check out merckrealestate.com, Charlie is more of a roadie, but he is a straight shooter, and he makes sure everything is faced on every bike he builds.

You might also check out metamorphosis. Sam (as in Samantha), is more of an urban biker, and is pretty rad.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Do you have a job lined up? I'd also be doing research into the commute between work and home. Rush hour can suck, and can really cut into ride time after work.

Why Blaine or Ham Lake?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    Do you have a job lined up? I'd also be doing research into the commute between work and home. Rush hour can suck, and can really cut into ride time after work.

Why Blaine or Ham Lake?
    My office is in Bloomington, but I'll rarely go in if ever. No real reason for Blaine or Ham Lake other than we like a lot of the home criteria and schools. We're looking for a 4+ bed, 4+ car garage, 3 bath on a couple or more acres. I'll start checking out the areas in the S-metro area as well.

I was born in Minnesota, but moved to Colorado when I was 12. With that being said I don't know the area too well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If being within riding distance of a trail is truly a must, I'd recommend looking at areas near Murphy-Hanrehan and Elm Creek. Hillside would be another option (personally I'm not a big fan of that trail, but you will talk to people that love it). Those are my recommendations based on what I know about outer ring suburbia and the neighborhoods around the trails. If you are looking to have a variety of trails to choose from, the southern suburbs will be your best bet.

By the sounds of it you aren't interested in being that close to an actual metropolitan area/downtown/city. If you are open to small town life, living in Crosby/Ironton would be epic for riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nothing against the northern suburbs but probably not what you're looking for culturally. the only off road bikes in Blaine have motors. nothing wrong with that, if you like hunting and fishing as well as mountain biking you may fit in and like it. if not, maybe not the best choice.

In my opinion the best trails in the cities are elm creek and lebanon hills (in bloomington) so if you're only priority is close convenient riding i'd suggest living as close to either of those parks as possible. the problem is that both of those parks are located in the middle of a very suburban area. Miles and miles cul-de-sacs of gray houses that all look the same and the closest thing to a brew-pub is tgi fridays. may not be a problem for you if the riding is convenient enough but worth mentioning.

what about afton area? about 40 minutes east of the cities on the st. croix river. i've never ridden at afton but i hear it's pretty good, they host the salsa 2-4. very scenic area, rural/suburban mix with rolling forested bluffs. also lots of hiking/canoeing/nordic skiing/decent midwest downhill skiing/nice beaches if you're into that stuff too. good schools, home prices may be a little higher than in blaine but there was also a lot of development that direction before the bubble burst so that may have brought prices down.

twin cities are a solid choice for mountain biking. Lots of weekend destinations to choose from. you can head up to the CAMBA trails (2.5 hour drive) or go west to levis. both are imba epics. duluth (2 hours north by interstate) just got a grant to build 60 more miles of trail to bring the total up to 90 miles of singletrack within the city limits. In five years when it's done they'll have more singletrack than any city in the u.s.

Something to keep in mind is that riding season here can be pretty short. most trails don't open until may 1st on the average year and it is normal to have snow by the second week of november. if you want to stay in shape in the winter you would have to get a fat snow bike or some skinny nordic skis.
    Last edited by irj28; 01-06-2012 at 01:11 AM.