Razorback Ridges?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Razorback Ridges?

Hey everyone, hope you are surviving the frozen months.

I rode Razorback Ridges a few times up in Minocqua, and one year I went up there and found it destroyed by loggers. I found an older thread on here complaining of same but haven't heard much about it in recent months.

Anywone have any recent knowledge on the trails? Is it worth riding again?

Roc
    mtbr member
    Back in 2006 I posted the original thread complaining about the sloppy logging. I believe the trail is still a mess. It's really to bad, Razorback was awesome! so many fun trails to choose from. The kind of place you could spend a whole day riding at. I used to live in Boulder Junction so I spent a lot time exploring Razorback trails, so many good ones.

mtbr member
    My family and I had been going there for 5ish years and then the logging hit. The trail system was in shambles and I havent been there for about a year and a half.

CAMBA Creature.
    Yup, there was some pretty kool and fun singletrack at Razorback. (B.A.D. loop - White Tail - Face Plant - Blueberry Lake - Expert Loop - Rat'l Snake - Bear Claw...) I haven't been there since the destruction.
    Isn't there a local MTB Club or group that built and maintains the trails?
    Or was the devastation so bad, they gave up?

Razorback Ridges - R.I.P.

mtbr member
    http://www.lamboriders.org/

these guys maintain raven which is a little drive from razorback ridges

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sad that it is gone I only got to ride it once in the pristine state and that was before I was really into mountain biking. My family and I go camping near there (the Firefly/Crystal lake campgrounds) so it was a cinch to get over to those trails.

Thanks for the posts guys!

Roc
    mtbr member
    This might be a good place to voice your opinion
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

No Use for a Name

The Lambo - riders seem to be a loose knit group of good people that just don't seem to have the numbers to take on the job. I have met and ridden with some of them up in Hayward - Cable. Unfortunately up north here the Counties have their income source tree farms and if you build a trail system in it they don't care and will not, sometimes, work around it. I approached Taylor County officials about building a nice ST system(s) in our two county forests and though they were interested in the idea they let me know straight out that they cut and will not work around it. 9-mile has been logged, but the contractors are made aware of the trail and often work around them and keep the trails open even during cutting. Same with Levis-Trow. As for clearing, cleaning, and rebuilding? A hellish job was excellently achieved at Nicolet - Roche after an F-3 tornado went thru, so why can't the cleanup of the Razorback be achieved also. I have time and would volunteer service and coordinations if there is enough interest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, the guys were good at 9 mile. We rode there many a times while logging was going on. Everyone once in awhile you had to ride over some tread tracks but that just added to the fun. The trails were still there to ride!

Unfortunately I don't get up there enough to volunteer on a regular basis Would donate trail fees though

Roc
    mtbr member
    Yes it is a shame, but the land is owned by the state of Wisconsin. When it come time for select harvesting.......... it is what it is. The Lions club is a volunteer organization. Trail donations are what kept the trails in shape. It will take time to get the trails back after logging. Sorry.

That's the response that was given to me from the Sayner Star Lake of Commerce

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Maybe if enough of us voice our opinions like Roc did maybe they will realize they need to go about this in a more orderly fashion? What does everyone think?

Justin

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Against All Authority

I would be willing to help out with any of the logistics in trying to get this trail system reopened. I have not been there since 2008 because of the decimation and prefer riding ST as opposed to logging or gravel roads. Boring!!! Since it is State Forest, it would be with the state that one should start. When I have enough time to be on the computer for a good time chunk, I will start inquiring to the state forestry dept. about options in getting going, but with past experience this will not be too simple. Keep the ideas and advice going on this one, riding season is just around the bend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I wouldn't be able to put in time building but would be happy to donate a few dollars above and beyond trail fees.

I can certainly understand the landowners position - lot more money to be made logging than selling $3 daily trail passes. And I think Razorback had voluntary fees, didn't it?

mtbr member
    Yup razorback had donation type fees, before it was logged my family donated between 25 and 30 dollars, and I donated 10 if I was there by myself

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    When I was sitting at the bonfire at the CFTF this year I brought up Razorback Ridges and a girl was telling me someone is resurrecting the trals. I was half drunk so I don't remember the details but she did mention a name. It is such a long drive for me I hate to go all the way up there without confirmation that things are being rebuilt. We used to go camping up there every year, but stopped due to the logging.

altazo
    I grew up in Wisconsin, but have lived in Utah since '95. While visiting family in '02 or '03 I was able to ride Razorback Ridges for a day and was impressed. It was much better riding than I had anticipated it would be.

You folks need to get organized and be proactive with the good trails you do have.

He be a moose too.
    My family lives near Minocqua and have ridden the Raven trail many times. There were some problems with logging on this trail and local DNR immediately got involved and made some pretty good efforts to resolve the problems and took time to talk with the local riders and listen to their concerns. I have to say, I was impressed at the response.

One of the reasons they were so good, the manager told me, is that they very specifically didn't want a repeat of Razorback Ridge. So it doesn't mean the Razorback trails are back, but it is on their minds that this shouldn't happen again. It's been a long time since I rode that trail. I remember racing on it many years ago.

Also Altazo, I don't know if it is a problem with not being organized. You need to remember that this is a sparsely populated area without a large, local mtb'ing population. The local group is dedicated, but small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was hoping to make a trip to RR if the trails had been restored. Glad this thread continues as it is A) Informative and helps a brother not waste time and B) Good to know that people are still interested in getting the trails back. I had the occasion to ride the trails once--being from way out of town--and I could see through all the destruction that this was a good trail. I hope it will come back some day! Again, people like me will drive a distance to get to such a place and be happy to pay trail fees.

Members who have read this thread: 0