Rattlers at stump farm??- Mtbr.com
    uhhhhhyea

Rattlers at stump farm??

Never thought I'd see one of these guys up here... but late this afternoon, stretched across the main trail about a 1/2 mile from the trailhead I almost run over this

Did some research and it looks like a Massassauga, from the size and markings. Was able to piss it off enough to get it off the trail (and use its rattle to tell me to back off). First time seeing a rattler in the wild - pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like you found a WI endangered species and away from the map where most evidently are in the state.

I saw a timber rattlesnake at Devil's Lake many years ago but never one of these.

Pretty cool.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/eek/critt...massasauga.htm

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Very Koool! Massassauga are extremely poisonous and one of the worst of the rattlers, but they are beautiful and deserve our respect and places to live too. I had a tough time out west when we would run into a rattler and somebody wanted to kill it.

Bike Now, Beer Later

Very Cool!

What a find! Thanks for the pic!

mtbr member

Poisonous?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    Very Koool! Massassauga are extremely poisonous and one of the worst of the rattlers, but they are beautiful and deserve our respect and places to live too. I had a tough time out west when we would run into a rattler and somebody wanted to kill it.
    Not poisonous, venomous. Just because I care about you.
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

~Disc~Golf~
    that looks like a bull snake
    Honestly... ahh I give up

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    that looks like a bull snake
    Interesting, looked that up... didn't realize there were snakes that mimicked rattlers so closely. I was able to get close enough to see what (I'm no expert) appeared to be a rattle, before he started using it. He was definitely very timid, I don't know if bullsnakes typically act that way.

Either way, there's definitely something primal about hearing that noise that gives you the impression of BACK THE $^#! UP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It's a Fox Snake. Some locals call them Pine Snakes. Completely harmless but a cool find noless. Massasaugas don't live anywhere near the Stump Farm, are smaller and have a much heavier body. Fox Snakes (and some other non-venomous snakes) vibrate their tails when they feel threatened and can be mistaken for rattlesnakes.

http://www.reptilesofwisconsin.com/w...-fox-snake.php
    Last edited by Revolver1529; 05-28-2010 at 02:49 PM.

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolver1529
    It's a Fox Snake. Some locals call them Pine Snakes. Completely harmless but a cool find noless. Massasaugas don't live anywhere near the Stump Farm, are smaller and have a much heavier body. Fox Snakes (and some other non-venomous snakes) vibrate their tails when they feel threatened and can be mistaken for rattlesnakes.

http://www.reptilesofwisconsin.com/w...-fox-snake.php
    good eye - I'm leaning more towards fox snake now - it would certainly make more sense.

While I was pretty sure I saw a rattle on him, the fox snake theory certainly makes more sense.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is what a Massasauga looks like up close and personal. And a Fox Snake. I photographed both of these in Wisconsin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

All in the tail!?

I too believed it to be a Pine Snake, never heard it called a Fox Snake though, but look closely at the tail. It does seem to close with a few small rattles. To the photographer, did you see rattles? Pine Snakes do not have them, but yes they can drum their tail fast enough to mimic a sound similar to rattling.

uhhhhhyea
    I'm certainly not an expert, therefore my observations are what they are. But I distinctly remember seeing what LOOKED like a rattle. In fact, I remember remarking that it seemed like a pretty small rattle sort of like baby corn (the kind you get in chinese food) compared to rattlesnakes I've seen in in captivity. The sound was more of a hissing / very fast rattle than what one usually associates with rattlesnakes.

I zoomed in on the tail, maybe there's enough detail here for some kind of consensus?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattlers at stump farm??-rattle.jpg  

uhhhhhyea
    awesome pics! I'd imagine you've got quite a long lens to get up close and personal like that (at least with the rattler!). I've carried a 70-210 before on rides and it seems to be awesome for wildlife, though a bit heavy.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal
    I'm certainly not an expert, therefore my observations are what they are. But I distinctly remember seeing what LOOKED like a rattle. In fact, I remember remarking that it seemed like a pretty small rattle sort of like baby corn (the kind you get in chinese food) compared to rattlesnakes I've seen in in captivity. The sound was more of a hissing / very fast rattle than what one usually associates with rattlesnakes.

I zoomed in on the tail, maybe there's enough detail here for some kind of consensus?
    no need to zoom in - still not a rattler
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal
    awesome pics! I'd imagine you've got quite a long lens to get up close and personal like that (at least with the rattler!). I've carried a 70-210 before on rides and it seems to be awesome for wildlife, though a bit heavy.
    Thanks man. Snake photography is one of my passions.

That rattler shot was @ 200mm. I would have gotten closer but I was at closest focus for that lens already. Massasaugas are actually pretty small snakes, a 2 footer would be a large one.

Members who have read this thread: 0