Quarry Park in Madison- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Quarry Park in Madison

After moving from the PNW I didn't ride here in WI for a little over a year. So, when tax season came around I bought a new Surly 1x1. As the snow thawed I was on the internet looking for the best places to ride.

While I haven't ridden anything outside of Madison yet, I've been doing weekly rides at Quarry Park. Has anyone or does anyone still ride there? It's a great place to have right in Madison, but it doesn't seem like it gets much attention. Of all the times I've been there I've only run in to one biker. Mostly I encounter people walking dogs or with children. What gives? Where are all the bikers?

For those of you who want to ride it but haven't, well, you should. It's technical. Not nearly as technical as trails are in the PNW or the North Shore, but still technical. I primarily ride the outer trails that run along the ridges. Those are challenging trails, especially on a single speed. Speed and momentum are your friend when riding these trails. Lots of short, steep climbs and descents with rocks and roots to mix it up. In the middle you'll find less technical singletrack that winds its way through trees up and over logs, stumps, etc..

There's a little something for everyone, and after a few rides there you'll figure out what goes where and you can start linking the trails together. Stay for an hour, do a few laps, and ride back to your house or the dorms.

Hey Madison! Get out and ride.

mtbr member
    You're not seeing too many people because of the late start the season due to all the snow this year, quarry still had a bit of snow and mud two weekends ago. You'll start seeing more traffic at QP as the ground dries up, I imagine it's starting to firm up now though.

After work during the summer is when you'll find a lot of riders at Quarry Park, but not as many people as you might expect. QP is kind of the ugly step child of the local trails, a number of us absolutely love the place, but most mtb folks you run into at the other trails have never even tried it because of it's reputation as being too small/technical/just-for-kids. Their loss, our gain.

mtbr member
    i tried to get out and ride quarry a few times a week in the summer, i never saw anyone there its very techy with drops and stuff i liked it alot, im coming home this weekend, how were the conditions? im not looking for perfection i just want to ride alittle, as it will be my first ride of the year and im chomping at the bit

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode out there for a couple hours yesterday, and the trail conditions weren't bad at all. Just a little slick in spots, but pretty packed for the most part.I'm sure after today it'll be soaked. It seems like the ridge line trails have good drainage, but everything in the middle will probably be pretty wet. Either way, I'm hoping it remains overseen by many so it doesn't get too crowded. Do you know of anyone that maintains the trails there?

mtbr member
    no i dont know anyone that rides/builds there, in all of last summer (riding a maybe on adverage twice a week) i saw one group of riders once, the trails are pretty maintained and i see track every so often, (and the bonfire pits always have fresh charcoal and beer cans so obviously someone is having fun there lol), im bummed on the rain cuz i wanted to go ride this weekend, ill still most likely hit it up to see about conditions

mtbr member
    Anyone have any pictures of the park? I've searched google with no luck. Just trying to see what the landscape looks like maps ect. I'll probably make it there sometime.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm going to try and get there on Sunday, and if I do, I'll take pictures and post them.

mtbr member
    ill be there once this weekend, all depending on the weather i cant take any pics because of a broken camera, the solo one did you ride there a few years back? i think there was some sweet stunts that the city took down but im not sure

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No, I've only lived in Madison for a year and a half. This will be my first season riding in WI. I used to live in the PNW, which made it easy to get up to the North Shore a lot, but I had to sell my bikes before I left. In fact, I used to ride XC, then freeride, then SS, and once I started riding SS my big hit bike never got ridden. I sort of miss my long travel bikes, but if I had to choose between the two for this area I'd take SS over FR all day long. The area doesn't seem to be conducive for those bikes, well, maybe just a few areas, or if you like urban stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Try quarry ridge ridge as well. I have yet to make it out to Quarry park but the ridge has god a nice free ride section. It's make your line too, which I like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Finally!!! Today I ran into several riders. I was pretty stoked. Too bad they showed up after I'd been there for 2 hours. I was pretty beat at that point. So, I asked a guy if I could trail along with them and he said yeah. He took the high road, I took the low road, and we pretty much met in the middle and almost collided. Oh, well. So, I ride behind the leader and stay on his wheel, my dog following closely, when I get to a mildly technical section and end up going ass over tea kettle. I was like, WHAT!? I'm thinking that the guy behind me is coming up on be quickly. Thankfully he was a little ways back, which gave me a brief moment to get up and run, mount my steed and keep riding. Once I got going the guy in front of me broke right, I broke left, said I would be back on Sunday morning, and broke out. It was a good ride. Can't wait to do it again. This time maybe we can get a train going...

mtbr member
    sounds like a fun time, i might be there sunday morning depending on weather (keeping my fingers crossed for no rain...)

mtbr member
    Quarry Park, tonight. Hoping to restart the Tuesday night tradition that was big a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I cannot make it tonight, BUT... I'm totally down for getting this going. Next Tuesday is DEFINITELY on. How many people do you think will show up?
    :: the_solo_one ::

mtbr member
    when i get back into town (may 16th, dam college life lol) i would do the tuesday night tradition with you guys, i doubt people many people would show up, 5 at the most, quarry park is kinda a hidden gem and i like that about it

mtbr member
    I rode there the last two evenings, around 6pm, and ran into half a dozen other riders each night. About 5 years ago it was consistently 10+ riders on Tues nights. I'll be out there again tonight.

mtbr member
    half a dozen riders? thats cool tho, i rode there (well during the day mostly) last summer and i didnt see anyone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    half a dozen riders? thats cool tho, i rode there (well during the day mostly) last summer and i didnt see anyone
    Yea, it can be spotty. most folks are working stiffs or students, so evenings and weekends are the time to ride if you don't want the whole place to yourself.

mtbr member

Quarry shots

Here are some shots of us playing around:

ledge2.jpg

ledge3.jpg

ledge4.jpg

ledge5.jpg

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    good stuff, Nipples. I'm envious of the days of slamming my seat-post and riding chopper-style. Launching off hip jumps, kickers, etc.. Nowadays I've got my seat dialed in to what my body's geometry. Either way, I'll do my best to keep up with you guys on my 1x1. See you next Tuesday...
    :: the_solo_one ::

mtbr member
    it's never too late to drop your seat and play around a bit.

mtbr member
    My brother and I were out looking for this park and couldn't find it. GPS lead us to three different Quarry park locations, 2 were playgrounds, one might of been it, but we saw no entrance. Loads of bikers in Madison though. Is there a dedicated park or is it like you just hit a hidden trail type deal. I thought it was a some what large park with a lake but now I'm not really so sure. Anyone have a address to map to or better directions?

mtbr member
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.014505&z=16

This is where the park is...

For a reference point...Whole Foods is on the corner of University Ave and Hill St.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Weekend of 10/18...

I'm from Los Angeles and will be visiting Madison on 10/15-10/20. I would love to check out Quarry Park or whatever awesome trails you guys have over there!

I won't be bringing my bike when I fly. It costs too much! Does anyone know of any demos going on that weekend. Or do any of the area bike shops rent out bikes?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BullitBoyJon
    I'm from Los Angeles and will be visiting Madison on 10/15-10/20. I would love to check out Quarry Park or whatever awesome trails you guys have over there!

I won't be bringing my bike when I fly. It costs too much! Does anyone know of any demos going on that weekend. Or do any of the area bike shops rent out bikes?

Thanks!
    drop me a PM and I will try and get up there ( possibly the 18th ). it's about 2 hrs for me so I can't guarantee anything but the trails there are definitely worth the drive. I don't know how they would compare to real mountains, but they are rocky, tech, and the drops jumps and hips are a blast!

mtbr member
    i think eriks bike shop rents but im not positive, might be worth a phone call tho cuz quarry park is an awesome time

http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/ride/text_2.asp?s_id=0

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Members who have read this thread: 0