PETS trail conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

PETS trail conditions?

Anyone ride PETS in the last couple days? Looking for an ice report really, a friend and I are thinking about riding today but if there was a bunch of ice under the skim of snow now it just gets too sketchy without studded tires...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Haven't ridden there, but I skied Parkside this morning.
    You're probably not going to encounter a lot of the hard ice conditions that we had a while back. I think soft snow and possibly some occasional standing water or water with thin ice will be more likely. Conditions are firmer in the early AM before the temps come up.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks man, be there in a half hour or so, going to give it a shot.

=========
    I rode there Thursday, nice soft melty snow, ala choy. The pugslinaut video in the snow ride thread, represents. Kettle was pretty snowpendously smurfy todehy, like a snow globe all fluffy with full oak clusters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    LOL, I think I need a translation gomez....

I rode regular tires, low pressures.

Trails yesterday were tight but good, in most places the hikers have about a 10" wide path packed pretty well. Trails in the bottom along the river were pretty smooth too. Trails on the higher terrain were not so good, it was warm enough that the snow was soft traction-wise, no way to climb to the upper parts in the seat. Once up top the hiker traffic has been a good bit lower than in the bottoms, trails are really narrow and pretty soft. Felt like riding a log skinny with gravel on it, a really tough ride so I didn't spend much time on those trails. Falling off the packed trail at any point is like slipping into DEEP sand. I rode an hour and a half before I ran out of gas, funny part is I ran out of gas in my arms and shoulders with legs left to keep riding. Staying on top of the bike and keeping the bike in the trail took a lot of upper body effort. Ended up getting 9.5 miles in, had an absolute ball. Feels good to be a little sore today, haven't ridden at all since mid December and was really itching to get out.

Hit it early as Trailville suggested yesterday while still frozen and the ride will be even better. Will probably be at least a week before it is rideable again with the snow coming tonight and tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There were some great riding conditions out there this morning before the sun had a chance to soften things up. I didn't see any sign of anyone else riding out there (though it looked like someone had been out there yesterday afternoon when things were soft). The best thing today was the downhills. With the crusty snow, everything was rideable. I even was able to ride that really steep side trail down to the River across highway A, and hit the fence-line trail along the ridgeline by the golf course (haven't hit that since very early winter).

For all those that didn't get out an ride this morning, you probably missed out on the last good snow ride. The 10-day forecast doesn't show another hard freeze. Unless we get lucky and get another hard freeze in the next week or so, it may be another month or so before the trails are rideable again. Though I'm quite sure some of you (I''ll refer to you as idiots) will be riding in the mud soon and making a rutted mess out of some of the best singletrack around.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I rode out there Sunday, about 9-11 am. Was really nice until it started to thaw. The last half hour to hour was pretty sketchy slush and some ice. I thought I was the first set of tracks on Sunday, unless you were out earlier. The first 8-10 miles I put down didn't leave a track!! It looked like someone had been out Saturday in the afternoon to make one miserable slush loop.....

I am sure it is unrideable mud now, and will get really bad in the next couple days. Unless we get a HARD freeze I don't think it will be rideable for several weeks. I hope the dummies don't rut it up....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Not yet, but gettin' close.

I took the dog for a walk out through Pets today and checked out the trail conditions. Things are firming up but there are still some significant sections of mud. I don't think people should be riding the trails in these conditions, but of course there were some fresh tracks (and deep ruts) from a rider or two that had hit them in recent days.

It's hard to tell how much affect a warm dry day like today and tomorrow will have on the trails this time of year, and I may consider checking them out again either late tomorrow or friday (before the rains), but if we get even a little rain they will quickly revert back to mud. It looks like this weekend is going to be a no go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

trailville

If you do check them please post, it takes me about 40 minutes to get there so checking for myself isn't easily done. I am really anxious to get out and ride!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HSMITH
    If you do check them please post, it takes me about 40 minutes to get there so checking for myself isn't easily done. I am really anxious to get out and ride!!
    I would say if you can get out there tomorrow (Friday) before the rains come, AND have the self control to hike-a-bike through the muddy sections rather than riding through and leaving ruts, you may want to give it a try. That's what I'm thinking at this point. With a warm windy day today and a not-too-cold night tonight, i think there should be some sections of trail in really nice condition. However if your one of those meat-heads that refuse to get off their bikes to help protect the trail, then please stay away because I'm quite certain there will still be some muddy stretches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks tville, gonna give it a shot this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Was nice, only a couple spots were really bad. 3 or 4 MUST hike-a-bike sections and none of them very long. 3 or 4 other sections where it was smart to get off the bike and walk 10-20 yards. The soil was just wet enough where I could iron out the ruts from the last couple days most of the time, for every foot of ruts I left I mashed 1000 feet of ruts flat and smooth. I also had to do some thorn bush trimming, OUCH! I could very well be a meat-head according to some but I left the trail better than I found it.

TWO flats and one good hard crash cut my ride short but the Stans is going in now so hopefully the flats shouldn't happen again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well if you think you may be a meat-head, I'm guessing you left some ruts
    I rode out there yesterday and managed to have a good time without doing any trail damage. I completely avoided the trails I expected to be really bad (the whole area southeast of the river near UWP and some other trails I know to hold water) and walked anything that was soft on the trails I did ride. There were some very nice stretches, and while it messes with your flow to have to get off and walk occasionally to avoid rutting the trail, it doesn't exactly ruin the ride. The real meat-heads will be the ones riding out there today and tomorrow.

You probably need to figure out what is causing your flats. Pets is pretty easy on tires. I think I only flatted once out there in all the years I've been riding, and that was on a freshly broken beer bottle (made a gash so big, sealant wouldn't have made a bit of difference). I usually run about 22-23 psi in 2.25 to 2.4 tires with tubes (I weigh 165).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I left the trail a lot better than I found it, I am satisfied with that.

There were only a few small spots on the UWP side that were really bad, some you had firm soil around the edges and only needed to slow down and go around, some you needed to walk, none long. The worst was right around the tin pump house near the rickety bridge, there were ruts through there that amazed me. How someone could ride through mud that deep is something I don't understand... The tops of the ridges were really the worst, dirt instead of sand or clay and flat terrain make for deep mud. Walk it in a little ways and walk it right back out type of deep mud.

Front flat was a pinch flat, no doubt about it. Included an OTB ejection of myself and a nice bruised elbow. Back flat was a thorn, second thorn flat I have had out there in 4 months but that 4 months is well over 400 miles in the park. Tires are 2.4 with 25-27 psi in them. I go 205 right now with gear. The tubeless 'solution' should help with both situations.

Members who have read this thread: 0