Perfect tire for Southeastern Wisconsin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Perfect tire for Southeastern Wisconsin?

I am looking for the best tire for Southeastern Wisconsin. Southeastern Wisconsin has a lot of trails with a lot more rocks than roots. Terrain can be either hard pack dirt, a little bit sandy, or even loose, but hard pack is predominant. I'm looking for a tough tire that I can use for a long time, but isn't expensive. These tires will be on my 29er XC bike so I would like them to be faster rolling. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Cavermatthew

mtbr member
    It's hard to go wrong with the Maxxis Ardent as an all round tire, it does pretty much everything decently well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am a big fan of Maxxis tires as well. I run Ikon 2.2s on the rear of my 29ers and an Ardent on one and a Ikon 2.4 on the front of the other. The Ikon 2.4 is awesome and I will be swapping that in for the Ardent when it wears out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with the Maxxis Ardent as an all round tire, it does pretty much everything decently well.
    Those are favorites where an Ardent 2.4 on front holds you really well when leaned over as is often required for a 29r, and 2.25 in back helps keep things feeling zippy. I've become fond of Bontrager XR3 back and XR4 front for a combo that feels as zippy as the Ardents but doesn't pack with mud as fast.

The modern Bontrager tires are worlds better than ones I recall from years ago. Right now I have the "Team" and "Expert" on different bikes and I can't tell that "Team" are any obvious advantage so would go with the ones that are cheapest tubeless ready.

Eminent Goofball
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples View Post
    Agreed.

I just put a set of Maxxis Ardents on my wife's bike, and she is NOTICEABLY faster, and is attacking turns much more aggressively than before.

She was running Specialized tires prior: The Captain up front and a Fast Trak in the rear.

I'm currently building a new bike, and I'm putting Ardents on it.

mtbr member
    Riding in the same area I DID like my Bontrager Expert 3's, I replaced them after they wore with Kenda Honeybadger Pro's and loved every second I spent on those tires. They do everything DAMN good!
    2014 Farley - far from stock.
    Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 - for zee dirt jumps
    2014 - Stache 8 - Sold but fondly remembered

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I have team issue XR3 front and rear on a Trek Fuel and ride single track (not too concerned with weight). I recently did about an hour at CamRock on a borrowed bike with Maxxis Ardents. I was WAY impressed. They hooked up MUCH better than I was used to. I pushed it harder and they continued to grip and inspire confidence.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Grip: Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Speed: Maxxis Ikon 2.2
    Good Mix of both: Bontrager XR2 29x2.2

I ride southern wisconsin almost exclusively, all set up well tubeless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadfish View Post
    Grip: Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Speed: Maxxis Ikon 2.2
    Good Mix of both: Bontrager XR2 29x2.2

I ride southern wisconsin almost exclusively, all set up well tubeless
    This is my current setup for southwest WI (2.4 Ardent front 2.2 Ikon rear) I'm switching to Schwalbe Hans Dampf 3.5's and giving them a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westache View Post
    Riding in the same area I DID like my Bontrager Expert 3's, I replaced them after they wore with Kenda Honeybadger Pro's and loved every second I spent on those tires. They do everything DAMN good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble13 View Post
    I have team issue XR3 front and rear on a Trek Fuel and ride single track (not too concerned with weight). I recently did about an hour at CamRock on a borrowed bike with Maxxis Ardents. I was WAY impressed. They hooked up MUCH better than I was used to. I pushed it harder and they continued to grip and inspire confidence.

The XR3 is a fantastic rear tire for our area, but I constantly found the limits of it when trying to use it up front. If you are an aggressive rider the XR4 up front and XR3 out back is pretty hard to beat, especially for the price compared to Maxxis.