The 'perfect' 9-mile?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The 'perfect' 9-mile?

I'm heading out for a good ride this Sunday, but I haven't been able to put together an exciting, cohesive loop at 9-mile yet. Don't get me wrong, I have a blast every time I'm there, but I just can't seem to connect the sections in a way that really flows well. Sometimes I've been kinda lost, and often going the wrong way. I blame most of it on that I have only had the opportunity to ride there a few times.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a route to take? I've got a map on hand and am somewhat familiar with the park, but I'd really love to try something well laid out; maybe like the WORS route? Unfortunately I can't get out there that weekend, but it'd be cool to check out.

I'm looking to ride somewhere in the 20-30mi range, so laps or a cool mix-up are most welcome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Maps

Quote Originally Posted by wheelock
    I'm heading out for a good ride this Sunday, but I haven't been able to put together an exciting, cohesive loop at 9-mile yet. Don't get me wrong, I have a blast every time I'm there, but I just can't seem to connect the sections in a way that really flows well. Sometimes I've been kinda lost, and often going the wrong way. I blame most of it on that I have only had the opportunity to ride there a few times.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a route to take? I've got a map on hand and am somewhat familiar with the park, but I'd really love to try something well laid out; maybe like the WORS route? Unfortunately I can't get out there that weekend, but it'd be cool to check out.

I'm looking to ride somewhere in the 20-30mi range, so laps or a cool mix-up are most welcome!
    I've been the WORS course designer for the past few years and I'm working with Wausau24 director for this year's 24 hour course design. I've got a couple of maps for each course design. Send me your email and I'll zip a couple of copies to ya. The sport/comp/elite loop is around 8.5 miles and the 24 hour loop is 11.5 miles so you'd get about 20 with those two. If your not really familiar with the trails you might get a little mixed up. I'd offer to meet you there but I'll be in Rhinelander racing this Sunday

mtbr member
    Thanks for getting those maps to us. We had a great four hours of riding on a beautiful day. Couldn't have been better

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in those maps, too. Could you send them?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

9-mile route?

Sorry I missed you wheelock and couldn't get this to you sooner. I ride there about twice a week and this is how I like to ride it for flow and toughness. Also not much doubling of sections and one can add on easy enough to get greater mileage. I happen to be one of those who likes the 25 - 35+ rides and there aren't many around, but this is my effort or version. From parking lot get onto trail #4 ride to #5 staying left and kicking you out to Red Bud Rd. cross to #3 heading south (right) and maintaining right turns onto #2 then #1 then # 2 back on #3 back to Red Bud crossing and head south to #6 ride to the end at ski trail take a right ride up the two small hills take the middle section of the three forks riding back down to trail #5 on the left. Take it staying to the left and intersecting onto #7 to ski trail across to #9 hit that riding back up towards #7 but just before the sign look to left for trail # 10 always staying right when trail forks. # 10 dumps back out on ski trail N take it and stay left at first fork continue riding up on a small rise the left at next fork and immediately look right for # 13. Now one begins the techy power riding! At fork stay left still on # 13 next fork stay right ride to # 11 and staying right on its forks. You will be hitting some good rocky sections towards its end and look for an opening on a ski trail where # 12 starts. If you see it coming get yourself in a gear that can carry your momentum up and over a 3ft. inclined rock onto # 12. Can't hit it right just go back and try again. It's worth it! # 12 is a twisty rocky techy earned hard section and will dump you out at a ski shelter. I prefer to take left down the ski trail S and then right onto the horse trail to # 14 veering off to the right follow all the way to its end onto the horse trail. Again for mileage I prefer to head north on the horse trail and follow sign to coffee house keep going on horse trail past old tree cut area and as you rise on a small hill look for trail # 8 to right and follow it taking left at # 7 fork all the way back to that crazy intersection of 7,5, and 4 where the beginning of your ride was! Jump back onto # 5 repeating that beginning section back to Red Bud cross and instead of repeating your ride on #3 S go left onto # 3 and repeat your ride in reverse by maintaining left turns onto #2 onto # 1 onto # 2 onto # 3 and back to Red Bud back to # 5 going right back up to # 4 back to the parking lot. My God that is the most discombobulating directions and ride, but as often as I ride it becomes second nature. With that explained, MBlock if ever interested and I know it costs $ to make new maps, I would very much volunteer to take out the old numbers and redo it to make more sense, more linear and sequential to follow with better and simpler ease. It only takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours, so for more do it all in reverse. Lots of dumpouts back to the chalet when enough has been done or you feel damaged. Also may see horses so please stop, get off bike and be courteous to riders and their steeds. We encountered horses often in the rocky mountains and always maintained a friendliness. If approaching from behind call out or lightly whistle to let riders know you are there. Do not approach quickly because it can frighten the horses. We created such a good relationship with equestrians in Southern Illinois that we were able to get The River to River Trail built and allowed for mountain biking.
    Last edited by Steve O'Punc; 05-20-2010 at 07:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Actually, having spent the day there last Sunday those directions made perfect sense. A little fuzzy in the area transitioning off #6 just right, but I can visualize that loop pretty well. Sounds sick. I'll have to hit that next time I get over there. I'll shoot you a message when I'm going that way again! Yes, I made it up the rock on #12, yes it was fun

Garth Brooks & Dun Rulz!
    Jan 2009
    I can confirm he made it up that rock at the entrance to #12. I can also confirm he did it riding a noisy POS slack hardtail, all while wearing spandex to show off his package to impress the ladies (and some guys if they were so inclined - Not that there is anything wrong with that).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What package? From a UPS delivery? Where'd you carry it? I try to carry everything on my back and off the bike. Went and did some trail building with the crew over at Nicolet- Roche and some riding and some fly fishing all of which were fantastic. That trail system is a must do. It is all back together, rides hard and plenty of techy stuff especially the last section thru the tornado path. We built 4 berms, a boulder ramp, and 2 jumps and they work great. Anyone reading this get over there and ride and experience what might be becoming the best riding in the north, maybe state! And major potential out of Bear Paw. There is a buzz about building a river trail up to Langlade and back. Trail building volunteers would be needed. Thanks Charlie and Lloyd for such a great time!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0