our trails must be too hard....[duluth, mn]- Mtbr.com
    dumb ass

our trails must be too hard....[duluth, mn]

seems like some riders need to re-arrange the trail features on the inner loop in hartley park [duluth, mn] in the pictures below.

the correct lione here is the yellow dashed line, not the line that is blocked off by the brush [the red arrow]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

here the pink line is the girly way and the black line in the manly way. leave the logs marked w/ the red x's alone. the logs are there to keep the trail from getting 6' wide.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    please leave these alone. the inner loop is ranked advanced so the obstacles will be harder. if you can't ride these, learn how. if your girlfriend/boyfriend can't ride them, teach them how. just don't be changing them. there is a reason the trail is built the way it is. if you have any questions/comments, feel free to email me.
    Baby seal walks into a club.

mtbr member
    ahem...the girly way?

I know that's its often easier to go over the rocks instead of clobbering around them Guess I'm more manly than I thought.

But I agree in leaving the trails alone and following the line....Nice pics and markings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for addressing the issue ! ive seen this before too... Any other Duluth members on here ?

Custom User Title
    You guys are not alone with this problem.

There is a group of 3 to 4 jackholes that go around our trail system and re-route as they feel fit. Most of the time it is to dumb down the trail or blockoff a go-around for people who choose not to ride a perticular stunt or feature.

Our local bike organization goes through a lot of time and trouble to get the trails that we have and things are the way they are because we are experianced builders.

The big problem is that they will never see any of this, or your post, because they don't care about your trails. They probably never helped out on a trail workday and never will.

Good luck. Those look like some nice trails I will have to see if I can visit them this year.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

SS FR HT
    i know how you feel, in a different almost opposite way. we build stunts on trails we cut trimed and maintain, then some a$$holes take the trail and think that the stunts are to hard so they take them apart. We have a 10 foot drop that are well marked and have two other options, a 3 foot drop and a go around, about a month ago some one took a hammer to it removing about 6 feet of bridge, luckaly I had my build pack and fixed it before someone got hurt,

My little brother and i spent three days building a 15 foot table top to have fun with. we come back a week latter after the it had hardened, to our horror someone (horsebacker) took all of the logs and dirt and detroyed it.....not even removing them from the trail.... just left a big pile of logs and dirt.

So i have got to the point of hiding my trail, i make big step ups or rock drops in to them. Because of a couple of people, a lot of people dont get to ride my trails that my friends and i set up. I just built a trail with 7 wallrides lot of logs jumbles and 15 chutes, made the entrance hidden, so far no problems.

so for the bad spelling and grammer...not my highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    I ride Hartley all the time and have never touched anything. I do have 2 questions though. On a few of the loops, why are there so many tight corners and switchbacks? I get frustrated riding so slow. On any new trails in the future, I would like a faster more flowing trail so I'm not in the granny gear all the time. Also, with all the little bridges covering the sensitive wet areas, why isn't there a bridge over that huge mudhole that never seems to dry up? You know the one, near where the forest is cut for powerlines or something. I'm looking forward to the new trails in Piedmont, very psyched about that.

dumb ass
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72
    I ride Hartley all the time and have never touched anything.
    good for you.

I do have 2 questions though. On a few of the loops, why are there so many tight corners and switchbacks? I get frustrated riding so slow. On any new trails in the future, I would like a faster more flowing trail so I'm not in the granny gear all the time.
    the more advanced trails are built to require more skill to ride. i do this w/ tight, twisty, narrow trails and obstacles like the ones in the 1st post. the old trail on the inner loop were fall-lins trails which erroded out and got 6' wide in places. the new re-routes don't follow the fall-line and use switchbacks to go across the hill.

there is only 2 loops in hartley. the 'outer loop" is the longer one and is intermediate skill level. the "inner loop" is where the above pictures were taking and it is ranked advanced. most of the trail in hartley is intermediate level.

you do need to decide what you like to ride tho. on the lutsen thread, you don't like the fast trails. you want tighter, slower trails...
    ...but I prefer single track with twists and turns, not just a straight high speed shot.

Also, with all the little bridges covering the sensitive wet areas, why isn't there a bridge over that huge mudhole that never seems to dry up? You know the one, near where the forest is cut for powerlines or something.
    yup, i know that one. i put on trailwork days every other thursday last summer. we didn't get to that mudhole to bridge it, due to the lack of voluteers and burnout on my part. unfortunately, there will be fewer workdays this summer. watch for the signs on the trail announcing trail work and come help.

dumb ass
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapfreerider
    i know how you feel, in a different almost opposite way. we build stunts on trails we cut trimed and maintain, then some a$$holes take the trail and think that the stunts are to hard so they take them apart. We have a 10 foot drop that are well marked and have two other options, a 3 foot drop and a go around, about a month ago some one took a hammer to it removing about 6 feet of bridge, luckaly I had my build pack and fixed it before someone got hurt,

My little brother and i spent three days building a 15 foot table top to have fun with. we come back a week latter after the it had hardened, to our horror someone (horsebacker) took all of the logs and dirt and detroyed it.....not even removing them from the trail.... just left a big pile of logs and dirt.

So i have got to the point of hiding my trail, i make big step ups or rock drops in to them. Because of a couple of people, a lot of people dont get to ride my trails that my friends and i set up. I just built a trail with 7 wallrides lot of logs jumbles and 15 chutes, made the entrance hidden, so far no problems.

sound like you're building these stunts on multi-use trails. do you have permission from the land manager?? free-ride stunts and multi-use trails don't go well together...

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    Great, now I have guilt for not helping last summer. I'll have to keep an eye out for signs requesting help this upcoming season. I'll have to check out the inner loop again. I quit using it for awhile because I thought it was so darned slow. I'll try it again with an open mind.

dumb ass
    i'm not trying to give you a guilt trip but...

i'll post signs at the spot on the trail where we'll be working on about 2 weeks before. looks like there's enough of a duluth group here so i should post something up here also.

the inner loop was re-done to get rid of the washed out hills and it added about 1/2 mile or so of trail. seems like either you like it or hate it.

SS FR HT
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr©™
    sound like you're building these stunts on multi-use trails. do you have permission from the land manager?? free-ride stunts and multi-use trails don't go well together...
    Its all legal stunts, the trail with the wall rides is actual a feature on a race on march 29th. some of the works that do the timberwork brought nail guns and chain saws and made an obstacle course that is awesome.

one thing that really suprises me is the we have a 9 foot drop that is completely out in the open that only has been touched once. it sticks out like a sore thumb, there is a video

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=15188504

It has four trails that connect about 20 yards behind this and is in a clearcut. yet my hidden stuff gets pulled all the time, except for one of my DJ lines with some desent sized hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Snow mobile trail

I have ridden hartley twice this winter and noticed the snowmobile trail cutting a cross section of the outer loop. starting at the trail close to the creek all the way to the part prior to climbing the outer loop if doing it clock wise!!!

dumb ass
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoy_d
    I have ridden hartley twice this winter and noticed the snowmobile trail cutting a cross section of the outer loop. starting at the trail close to the creek all the way to the part prior to climbing the outer loop if doing it clock wise!!!
    that would be a right-of-way that services the neighborhoods north of hartley park. at one time it was an official snowmobile trail but not any more. snowmobiles are not allowed in the park, although you will see a rogue one on occasion...

here's a bad map of the park--

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr©™
    that would be a right-of-way that services the neighborhoods north of hartley park. at one time it was an official snowmobile trail but not any more. snowmobiles are not allowed in the park, although you will see a rogue one on occasion...

here's a bad map of the park--

The illegal snowmobile trail follows that vertical line bisecting down all the way to that north road on the map.

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Just thought I'd post a hello to all of the Hartley trail riders. I ride Hartley trails often..
    Last edited by KevinBicycle; 03-29-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0