OT: Need hotel and food recommendations in Milwaukee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OT: Need hotel and food recommendations in Milwaukee

I have a probably business trip to Milwaukee in mid July. Looking for good places to stay and eat.

For a hotel, I really don't care as long as it's clean, and I can walk to decent food and beer. (Don't mind driving to the food, but it's always better if I can leave the car at the hotel and walk or stumble back...) Comfort Inn or anything is fine, just mainly looking for a good "area" of town.

Food is always important. I want to eat the local fair, which I assume includes at least one really good Bavarian experience? Any wierdo or unique places with good food and decent people is great. I prefer someplace where I can sit at the bar and talk with people, rather than being in a booth at an Applebees in Anytown, USA.

I post here because I've always gotten good advice for local dining. In general, MTBR ers have good/similar taste to me. I won't be bringing a bike on this trip, and probably won't have time to rent one and ride, which I have a feeling is really a shame.

Am looking forward to "experiencing" Milwaukee for a night or two though.

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Actually, if there is a place to rent a bike, I might as well get that info too. Especially if I can ride from the LBS.

....just in case

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well hopefully our trails are dried out by then. Not kidding either! 7 inches of rain has destroyed our trails. As for a place down town to stay you have the Hyatt, Intercontinental Hotel, and a list of others but those two are in the heart of downtown.

Bike shop - Crank Daddys rents specialized bikes and you can ride to the river trail - just ask them where it is located.

Food - If you are 21 you are going to want to drink somewhere on Water Street or Milwaukee St. Yep that is right we dont eat and not drink.
    Bar Louie, Water Buffalo, Ale House, Safe House, Sakatumi (Sushi), and Mo's Irish Pub all have great food. There are a million other restaurants and bars but this should get you started.

I assume you are going to be here after Summerfest (the worlds largest music festival and party) ends July 6th? If you are here then deffenatly hit that up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, I'll be there some time during the week of July 13.

Food recommendations are great, that is exactly what I'm looking for, and the kinds of places too. As for the eating without drinking, I share the philosophy, that is the reason I want to stay somewhere close to the decent places to eat (and by default, DRINK). Nice to know I can enjoy a beer or six and still get home.

I guess I'll check conditions closer to my departure. May not have time to ride anyway, but if I do, it's good to know where to rent and ride. If the trails are wet and swampy, I'll save it for next time.

Thanks!

uhhhhhyea
    Don't know what your preferences are, but a couple places to check out:

Oakland Gyros: Awesome food. Cheap. Best chicken kebobs i have ever tasted, by far
    http://grhomeboy.wordpress.com/2007/...oakland-gyros/

Twisted fork: A little bit more "upscale" (still pretty relaxed) but nonetheless amazing food
    http://www.twisted-fork.com/

Places to drink: You do know milwaukee is the beer capital of the world, right? Actually the first place that comes to mind is Lakefront Brewery, some amazing microbrews right there... if you take the tour, $6 basically covers you for all you can drink (I distinctly recall having more than 4 pours).

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    :...business trip to Milwaukee in mid July. Looking for good places to stay and eat..."
    Hotels:
    Old school, higher-end, The Pfister Hotel, +1 on the InterContinental and Hotel Metro is a decent call. In general, go for east of the River, South of Brady Street and North of the Third Ward for a solid downtown proper experience.

Dining (I could post forever on this)
    High-end: Sanford's, Bacchus
    Mid-level: Third Ward Caffe, Coquette cafe, Water Buffalo if you want some "newer" digs and many, many more...
    Low-end: Speed Queen take out
    German (Bavarian): Karl Ratzsch's
    Best call you can make (via cab only 2416 West State St) Five O' Clock Steakhouse (formerly Coerper's)
    Sittin' in a bar / locals: "Are you kidding man, this is Milwaukee?" More bars within any walking distance than you can even consider."

Hit Jazz on the Park (Cathedral Square) with a good Cabernet in-hand, the lakefront, Callatrava (sp?) for the visual, stagger around anywhere downtown, on Brady Street or in Walker's Point after dark for fun, party in the Ward with some maturity or Water Street for a younger crowd and...in general, keep your ass east of [roughly] 9th street, South of Brady.
    Last edited by No Name; 06-13-2008 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go to Lucille's Rockin Pianos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There are honestly too many places in Milwaukee to go to. I live in Madison but goto school in Milwaukee and I still haven't been to all the places I want to yet downtown. Your best bet depending o the hotel is just ask the people there; they'll point you in the right direction. I would stay around Water or Milwaukee street; lots of bars and places to eat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to all who have replied. Basically, it looks like I have more great places to go, then I have time to go to them. so that is GREAT.

Once I make my reservations, I'll just see what's in the neighborhood.

As a first time visitor, I'll probably try to hit Karl Ratzsch's, but really like the prospect of "Sittin' in a bar / locals: "Are you kidding man, this is Milwaukee?" More bars within any walking distance than you can even consider." "

Again, thanks. Milwaukee is a town I've wanted to visit for a while, and it looks like I will get to do that soon....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Members who have read this thread: 0