Northern Kettle Aug. 19-21- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Northern Kettle Aug. 19-21

I am heading up to the LMS auto race at Road America in Elkhart Lake the weekend of Aug. 19-21. I ALWAYS bring my mtb bike where ever I go. We have an RV and are staying at the track. What is the best way for me to ride from the track to get to the trails at Northern Kettle. We have no extra vehicle, so I have to ride. Are there any other trails nearby that I should check? Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    From the race track you can follow 67 South (about 3 miles) and pick up the Plank road trail (paved) just to the North of Hwy 23, Take that west to Greenbush (about 6 miles). Go past the Wade house and follow Scenic Drive to the Greenbush trail head. Aside from Evergreen Park in Sheboygan, which is farther to ride to, Greenbush is the closest mtb trail. RA has some good hills to pound up and down on and the hordes of people walking slowly add an extra degree of difficulty in navigating around :-)

Pegasus Baby!
    Mar 2009
    google map RA to Greenbush and click the bicycle routing feature. That gets you pretty close to a good route thru Glenbeulah to GB. Should be about 8.5ish miles from RA to the trailhead. There's a dedicated bike trail that goes along 23 called the Plank Road Trail that goes almost directly to Greenbush. A word of warning though, the roads immediately around RA get a little sketch as the Fangio wannabes will be out in force.

What days or nights do you plan on riding?

Pegasus Baby!
    Mar 2009
    what he said:-)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. 67 to Old Plank Trail sounds pretty good, then to Greenbush. Someone by me mentioned picking up the Ice Age Trail off of Co Rd P, then down to Greenbush, but I am not sure if bicycles are allowed on that section. I should be arriving mid morning on Friday and plan to ride after we set up camp, so early afternoon and possible Sat. morning. Is it worth trying to get to Evergreen Park in Sheboygan? Thanks again.