No more Welch Village- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

No more Welch Village

I am so bummed..... Although I completely understand their position, I wish we could change it somehow.

https://www.welchvillage.com/mountain-bike-message-.cfm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wide short flow trails....only so many runs on it and it becomes boring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJP View Post
    Although I completely understand their position, I wish we could change it somehow.
    If you understand it, that makes you better than me.

The comment about insurance makes sense. Insurance in the USA is stupid expensive due to a lack of tort and health care reform. If that is stake thru the heart of Welch Village and MTB access, then why the yammering on about about free trails and city owned properties? If its about not being able to compete against these free trails, then why did Welch Village mention the insurance at all? If its a combination of both, then a) why didn't Welch Village research its competition before dropping serious coin to upgrade trails (Spirit Mountain and others were already operating) and b) how tight do the margins have to been for a ski resort (that likely has high insurance anyway) to be put out by a rate increase in the insurance?

My gut feeling is that is that Welch thew a bunch of money at this without doing some real calculating if they could make it work. On top of that, the people I knew who like Welch Village would admit that what they offered wasn't to to the lift ticket cost. They also didn't do much advertisement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So the insurance for skiing is higher than mountain biking. They just decided it wasn't worth it anymore. They never maintained the trails they built and it seems pushed the trails to be easier instead of harder. I think their limited hours of operation was stupid and lead to them failing. I never understood why they weren't open more during the week and earlier on the weekends. Too many rainouts days. The trails they had were fun to ride. I'm disappointed I never got to ride into the rabbit hole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Does anyone know if they are going to allow people to pedal up and ride the trails under their own risk? Seems like such an incredible waste if they just let those downhill trails rot away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridder252 View Post
    Does anyone know if they are going to allow people to pedal up and ride the trails under their own risk? Seems like such an incredible waste if they just let those downhill trails rot away.
    No, they would still take a lawsuit risk, so it ends up being a no-go for everyone.