No 24-9 this year?- Mtbr.com
    Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008

=========

mtbr member
    i dunno Gomez this was on bike rumour thismorning as well and it looks to be straight out of that toolbag Lairds mouth.

Spokes Magazine reports in an interview with Knight that the economics and registration numbers just weren’t high enough to support the events this year, adding that many participants are older now and have to juggle families with race schedules (what, no one under 30’s racing anymore?). Although 2010 dates are listed on their homepage, Granny Gear’s website does not have updated info on the 2010 events or registration available. If you’ve already paid to register or sponsor, now’s the time to start freaking out.
    Last edited by the locust; 03-11-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Weird Eh
    I saw it too. Take it over, and bag it the next year.

=========
    Wow....that sucks....but an opportunity for somebody to take it over, perhaps?

WORS? WORBA? WEMS? GNOMES? TREK? SRAM?

lets all show up anyway and just ride......ride a lot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No 24-9 this year?-low-budget-graphic.jpg  

Last edited by ~gomez~; 03-11-2010 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~

I'd be up for that. Especially since I already had that weekend set aside.

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    Apparently its been suggested to WEMS already---more details forthcoming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~

I'll see ya there hopefully

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    He says he is not letting it go completely, just for this year. WTF!!!!!
    Last edited by Badgerbiker; 03-13-2010 at 09:00 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I saw a similar post on the endurance forum. Major bummer. I wonder how Kevin Eccles feels about this. He built a great event over the past decade, only to see it shut down the year after he handed it off. This was the event I dedicated my training to over the past few seasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffwilsonn
    Apparently its been suggested to WEMS already---more details forthcoming
    Here is the deal. Marathon County Parks & Recreation Dept will only allow two mountain bike races at Nine Mile per season to limit the potential for adverse impact on the trail system. Typically that has always included WORS and 24-9. So if WEMS (or someone) can come in and establish an event this year and wants to be back the following year they could do so if they can lock the dates (reserve Nine Mile facilities) for the following year before anyone else gets in. Otherwise a new event in Nine Mile will only be a one hit wonder if Grannygear decides to come back in 2011.

mtbr member
    What sux about this is that it was such a great event until last year. It is kind of sad thinking back to the days when you tried to get to 9 mile on Thursday just to try and get a decent camping spot. The vibe was fantastic and there were riders everywhere.

Last year just wasnt the same.

Fortunately we are spoiled in WI with WORS, WEMS, o2s, cheq, fall colors, plus others to really be that upset.

I get to break the news to wife I might be around one more weekend this summer, and that is not a bad thing.

Pin it!
    This is shocking news. I just got the official e-mail from Granny Gear this morning and the rumors are true.
    From the "horses mouth" -

This has been a tough decision. I know how disappointed folks are going to be. For myself, I was really excited to have the USA Cyling 24-hour Nationals come home to West Virginia and I know there was a lot of excitement about this. Likewise, we had wonderful experience at 9-Mile last year and we were so looking forward to seeing the event continue and grow this year. But last year we were robbing Peter to pay Paul all year long and at the end of the year I had to borrow money to pay remaining Moab expenses. I simply can't afford to do that again. I made efforts to bridge the gap with extra sponsorships and I had some commitments in place but I didn't muster enough to move forward with confidence.

This is just sad news. 9-mile (The Swamp) is my primary stomping grounds for riding and likewise for all my riding friends. When it comes to riding, this single 24-hr event is the only thing I look forward to during the summer and now after (I think) 15 years of the event being held, it is now being dropped because of money? Kevin Eccles did it for less cost impact to the riders and I.M.O. he did it better. I can also understand why he handed it off after so many years dedication to the event.
    This also is not an event that was dieing off after every year. I've been either wrenching or racing for at least (10) of the 24-9 races and the event seems to be getting bigger and more riders get hooked every year. In the past races I remember crazy weather we would have to deal with, crash stories, talking to Tinker Juarez after the race, teams helping out other teams with whatever they needed, watching Chris Eatough roll through the tent to grab a a slice of cold pizza at 2a.m. or standing next to Garry Fisher while looking at the latest team standings. It's things like this that I look forward to every year. People just want the event to survive because they know how much it means to everyone that has raced 24-9 in the past. I know it means a lot to me and my friends. Should be interesting to see what happens this year and in the future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So how about someone local steps up and does 24-9 on their own this year? Just an event for local mountain bikers. Something to have fun with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It could be named......23.5/9

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    So how about someone local steps up and does 24-9 on their own this year? Just an event for local mountain bikers. Something to have fun with.
    Something is brewing to fill the void of 24/9 for this year. More details to follow in the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

hitler learns 24/9 has been canceled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7heLaTv-A

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://youtube.com/v/eV7heLaTv-A&amp;hl=en"></param><embed src="http://youtube.com/v/eV7heLaTv-A&amp;hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></div>

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skifastchad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7heLaTv-A

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://youtube.com/v/eV7heLaTv-A&amp;hl=en"></param><embed src="http://youtube.com/v/eV7heLaTv-A&amp;hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></div>
    f'reakin' hilarious!!!!

Garth Brooks & Dun Rulz!
    Jan 2009
    I didn't have the slightest inclination of racing 24/9. I just wanted to go to watch, but now... now I am even pissed I can't race in it this year. Damn Hitler is one persuasive mo'fo'.

Sig heil!

Nice job on the vid

aka bOb
    Best video ever!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    [QUOTE=mblock]Something is brewing to fill the void of 24/9 for this year. More details to follow in the next couple of days.[/QUOT

I sure hope so, C-mon everyone......Lets show this lying SOB how its done!!!!! Make it a non-profit charitable party/race with a shorter coarse. Make it a party again!!!!! Before it was a national Champ. race it was fun as hell. Sure its not gonna have all the bells and whistles but thats not what we need. I can lay my bike down in the grass or lean it on a tree, I dont need a bike rack. I have connections to Porta potty's, Tents and timing companies, Dj's.......Hell, I know everyone!!!!!!! Just let me know what I can do to help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rumor is CORBA might do a 24 hours of Lowes Creek...

aka bOb
    [QUOTE=Badgerbiker]
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock
    Something is brewing to fill the void of 24/9 for this year. More details to follow in the next couple of days.[/QUOT

I sure hope so, C-mon everyone......Lets show this lying SOB how its done!!!!! Make it a non-profit charitable party/race with a shorter coarse. Make it a party again!!!!! Before it was a national Champ. race it was fun as hell. Sure its not gonna have all the bells and whistles but thats not what we need. I can lay my bike down in the grass or lean it on a tree, I dont need a bike rack. I have connections to Porta potty's, Tents and timing companies, Dj's.......Hell, I know everyone!!!!!!! Just let me know what I can do to help.
    Perfect your hired!! Lets race.

mtbr member
    That vid made me pee myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=Badgerbiker]
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock
    Something is brewing to fill the void of 24/9 for this year. More details to follow in the next couple of days.[/QUOT

Straight from the WORS message board:

http://www.wors.org/cgi-bin/forums/i...=10#entry40246

aschmidt53
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Midwest 24 hour racers, stay tuned this weekend for an important update on the 24 hour event at Nine Mile Forest this season.

Muddy Paws Racing

Teen Wolf
    awesome vid.

Pin it!
    That video was seriously L.M.A.O. good, to the point and correct.
    This race seriously needs to happen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This news got me harder than Chinese arithmetic!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0