Nine Mile Trails & Condition - June 04- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nine Mile Trails & Condition - June 04

Anyone ride Nine Mile in Wausau yet this year? I'm planning on hitting it this Saturday 6/19/04. With all the rain so far this spring/summer, how are the trail conditions? Does anyone know of a trail or park hotline for conditions? I'd hate to drive up there and find the whole network closed. Nothing posted on the map. I'll probably call the Marathon County Park headquarters Friday just to check. I know the majority of trails there have a gravely/stoney soil, so I think it drains and dries out well. I imagine some of the trails way back in the "Little Alps" section, like the Flower Trail may have standing water. Are any of the trails closed?

Also, I checked out the Marathon County website, and they have a link to new/update Nine Mile map - PDF dated 5/6/04. I pulled out my old map that I picked up at the trailhead last year, and it's dated 6/1/01. It looks like they renumbered a bunch of the trails. 1, 2, & 3 are the same. 4 to 16 are either changed, added, or I think finally mapped out. Looks like they reidentified a lot of the ski trails as well. Just when I was getting to memorize the trails, they switch it up, but it looks like it's for the better.

If anyone has ridden this killer network this year, please post up with comments! Maybe I'll see you out on the trails this weekend!

Lone Wolf
    Jul 2003

How was it?

Did ya get out there? I rode the HPT trails in LaCrosse and they were great..amazing that they are though, we've gotten so much rain lately. ( I'm sure everyone else has too. )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Follow up

Quote Originally Posted by rokklym
    Did ya get out there?
    Yeah. All day Saturday. Got about 18-20 miles in. All the singletrack was in good condition - no standing water to speak of, basically quite dry due to the rocky soil conditions. A few of the cross country ski trails had water, but nothing big.

I was glad to see the trail ID numbers were the same as last year - see my above post for more info. Thinking about a return trip over the 4th of July weekend. One day at 9 mile, one day at Levis Mounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Late to post, but anyways, just found the forums.

I rode 9mile about a month ago, and that was the best trails ive ridden in a long time. First time out there, but we had a vet show us the trails to hit. The trails were technical and a blast, my fav was flower trail, we hit it from a little connector, rode to the flowers, then rode it backwards. Rock garden was also a blast. I fell so many times, oh, just a great day of ridin.

Its quite the change from the kettles.