Nine Mile Trails - Condition?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nine Mile Trails - Condition?

Has anyone ridden Nine Mile yet this year? If so, condition? I imagine the front loops (near parking lot) are in good condition/dry due to soil composition, and the ones way out there in the dense woods may be a bit wet yet - especially with last weeks rains. Also, any closures, reroutes, or new trails?

Looking at heading up there Memorial Day weekend, and just wanted to get a trail report. TIA.

bubbletea Latte'
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider
    Has anyone ridden Nine Mile yet this year? If so, condition? I imagine the front loops (near parking lot) are in good condition/dry due to soil composition, and the ones way out there in the dense woods may be a bit wet yet - especially with last weeks rains. Also, any closures, reroutes, or new trails?

Looking at heading up there Memorial Day weekend, and just wanted to get a trail report. TIA.

I was just there Thursday night, it was damp because of the day long mist. The rocks and roots were slippery, but there really wasnt much mud. A few spots here and there, but all in all pretty clear.

mtbr member
    I've been there twice in the last week and a half. Looks good, nice and dry. 16 is a little moist but that's mostly due to the microclimate in that part of the forest. I just discovered the rock gardens on #1, sweet!

There's some new trail on number 10. They added a short bridge and raked out some new trail that hasn't been ridden in very much yet at all. Turn right where 9 meets 10 and you'll be there.
    Last edited by Mighty Drop Off; 05-23-2005 at 01:05 AM. Reason: addition

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Drop Off
    I've been there twice in the last week and a half. Looks good, nice and dry. 16 is a little moist but that's mostly due to the microclimate in that part of the forest. I just discovered the rock gardens on #1, sweet!

There's some new trail on number 10. They added a short bridge and raked out some new trail that hasn't been ridden in very much yet at all. Turn right where 9 meets 10 and you'll be there.
    Thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear 16 or the "flower trail" is open. Last fall they closed it for some reason - I think it had something to do with a critical time for some of the vegetation near the trail. It's one of my favs, then again, just about all the trails out there are my favs.

Yeah, 1, 2, & 3 across the road are fun. The rock gardens on 1 in the woods, and out in the clear cut, along with the rollers on 3 in the pines are sweet.

I'll definitely look around for new trails near 9 & 10. I rode what I thought were new trails the day before the WORS race, but I wasn't sure cause I was riding when it was just about dark out. New trail is always nice.

If you're looking for technical - I'd suggest 12 which is a small loop off of 11, just after it crosses L. It's a steep uphill with several log crossings, tight switchbacks, roots, etc. When you get to the top, it's back down - a bit easier. About a 1/4 mile total. A good challenge everytime.

I may make it up there this weekend - depends on how the knee heals up this week. I gouged it up on some rocks while riding yesterday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you are going to nine mile from the south you may want to stop and check out the single track at Standing Rocks Park in Portage county. There is over 9 miles of single track. For a map go to pointpursuit.org and click on the trails shortcut.

mtbr member
    Jim, is that you? This is Logan. I gotta second the reccomendation for Standing Rocks, it's become very very very nice (thanks Jim). The reviews don't even begin to do it justice. Just about 11 miles of tight twisty stufff with some roots, some rocks, and a lot of short steep climbs. Nice scenery to boot and a lot less of a navigational endeavor than Nine Mile. It's well worth the drive from anywhere in the state.