Nine Mile ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nine Mile ?

Rokken with Dokken

Nine Mile ?

I've heard people talk about Ho Chi Minh, the Flower Trail and the Alps at Nine Mile. Are these just names for some of the numbered sections of singletrack, or are they super-secret trails that aren't on the map?

Always a fun ride up there, although I seem to put in the most miles just trying to figure out where the heck I am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyTurtle
    I've heard people talk about Ho Chi Minh, the Flower Trail and the Alps at Nine Mile. Are these just names for some of the numbered sections of singletrack, or are they super-secret trails that aren't on the map?

Always a fun ride up there, although I seem to put in the most miles just trying to figure out where the heck I am.
    Yeah, those are just names that came from ... ??? I'm guessing the original trail builders or locals coined them. I've ridden there quite a bit over the years, and to the best of my knowledge Ho Chi Minh is #11, 12; Flower Trail is #16 (due to the flowers along the trail during certain seasons - I've actually seen the trail closed at times to help protect flower germination), and the Alps is the far southwest portion of the forest (due to the topography). Maybe some local will chime in here and correct me, or provide more insight...

Just put some more time in there, and you'll come up with a good loop to take. I've got a loop that takes me to all the singletrack bit by bit without taking too much ski trail, or doubling back much either. It's definitely a fun place to ride.

mtbr member
    Could you provide your route that you mention that takes you on all the 1-track? Just curious to see how you do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Trail #11 is on a North East slope. Each year in the middle to end of May, the Morel mushrooms appear in this small perfectly shaded area of ninemile, and you will see dozens of Wausau's local Hmong population out there picking mushrooms. Hence the name "Ho Chi Minh Trail"

The more people that know the truth, the more we can call it #11.

Members who have read this thread: 0