Nicolet Roche Trails - Bone Dry !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nicolet Roche Trails - Bone Dry !

Nicolet Roche Trails - open from South to da 'Nort and then sum if you don't mind portaging your steed across a river - have a nice northern loop.

Triliums are out in the trillions, tic's are close behind in numbers - it's Wednesday and I'm still finding the buggers - Oh yeah and one BIG a$$ black bear south of 64 - seen bear up there before, but by far this one was the biggest to date - sweet.

Trail is rideable thru tornado area - you're across the waste land before you know it, but run into more barren land (logging) just before hitting 64 - 5 minutes in and you're out.

Ahh - good to back on decent trail

Gianni out....
    sent via crackberry

mtbr member
    I rode Roche for the first time last summer and got quite turned around and lost because of the tornado damage.

Is everything repaired and is it a loop again?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Nicolet-Roche

There is a lot more than just the loop! Head to campsite following the great signage and then up towards and across highway 64 on the scout trail all the way up to Eichoff RD. and if more mileage is needed the double track to Perch Lake is well worth the uphill efforts. This is a very worthy trail system. Lots of wildlife too!

mtbr member
    I'm heading up there the second weekend of June. Setting up homebase at my mom's place and riding The Underdown on Saturday and Roche on Sunday...should be a great weekend.

I can't wait to tackle the boulders!

It will be my first time riding Underdown...any input on what to expect there?

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by radtad
    It will be my first time riding Underdown...any input on what to expect there?
    gnomes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

punk rocks

Feel like company let me know. Just rode Underdown before the rains. Missed out on trail maintenance and rides May 1st at Nicolet-Roche and will be heading over there real soon. Underdown is kind of local for me and definitely, probably could hook up. Know the trail system real well. Back stuff and new stuff. And Chris and crew look to be extending it some more. Fantastic hardcore ride when ya do it all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    Feel like company let me know. Just rode Underdown before the rains. Missed out on trail maintenance and rides May 1st at Nicolet-Roche and will be heading over there real soon. Underdown is kind of local for me and definitely, probably could hook up. Know the trail system real well. Back stuff and new stuff. And Chris and crew look to be extending it some more. Fantastic hardcore ride when ya do it all!

The gf is coming with and planning to ride, so it will be quite a slow pace as she's a noob. If she decides not to ride one of the days I'll shoot you a message before the weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm heading up here on Saturday - the trails should be pretty hard after all the rain right....?

I'm trying to decide which tires to run...

I need skills
    Jul 2004

conditions

By "hard" do you mean firm or difficult? The trail should be firm and a bit tacky, the rocks and features may be a bit slippery. Look first if unsure.

Wider, knobby tires work great at Roche. They are less apt to skid when gently using the brakes. These same tires are less likely to tear on rocks and less likely to be punctured by blackberry stems. Save your race tires for the races.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I meant firm - I know they are difficult. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hey Gianni

You gonna be up on the Nicolet-Roche the weekend of May 22nd? Would like to get together maybe with Lloyd again and learn that Bear Paw system better. Up to it?
    Last edited by Steve O'Punc; 06-02-2010 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    You gonna be up on the Nicolet-Roche the weekend of May 22nd? Would like to get together maybe with Glen again and learn that Bear Paw system better. Up to it?

What's the skinny on that Bear Paw trail? I haven't heard anything about it. I'm going to be at Roche in a few weeks and I'm wondering if I should plant to ride these as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Bear Paw has a lot of double track. There is some single though. There is a trail that runs along the river for a while but it gets pretty overgrown. Dewberry is a side trail of 1/2 or a mile off the main trail and it is the real deal. Quick steep up and downs, boulders and rock gardens abound. You can get from the Roche to the Bear Paw on your bike. It is also nice to stop in the Bear Paw restaurant for a cold one after the ride.

I would say it is a good add on to the Roche, just like the trails at Boulder Lake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bear Paw

It is getting better and more single track to come. Scott from the Bear Paw Pub put up a bunch of signage so it is much easier to move around in there and not get lost. Right now the way Lloyd has shown me the ride there is about 10 miles with much of it being single track and including what are named the Boy Scout Trails. Do them then jump across to the Nicolet- Roche Trail and one gets in major miles!

Harry
    May 2010
    Hey this is Harry from GB. THanks again the for the awesome ride on the nicolet-roche on memorial day weekend. Me and the rest of the guys had a blast and are gonna try and get back up there this weekend of the 12th. let me know what you guys are gonna do and maybe we can keep up this time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I won't be able to make it this weekend and the weather looks to be pretty rainy too. Have lots of fine if you make it there!

mtbr member
    You gonna be up on the Nicolet-Roche the weekend of May 22nd? Would like to get together maybe with Lloyd again and learn that Bear Paw system better. Up to it?

yo - Steve been off the grid for awhile - did a long self containted road tour past week.
    Haven't been on the roche trails since last work day and that was just clearing logging debris from trail near 64
    Hoping to start getting up there more in the coming weeks - hopefully I'll get back on the grid to post a ride which would take in roche trail, cross over to bear paw and finish on roche - more then 25 less than 50
    Gianni out....
    sent via crackberry

mtbr member
    Well, I'm heading to Antigo with high hopes of riding Roche. As of right now, the forecast is calling for some possible storms on Friday, and PM showers on Saturday.

So, my questions is, how quickly does Roche dry out? Is there a source for trail updates?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Nicolet-Roche does pretty good in drying off and soaking in. In heavy rains it will usually take to the next afternoon with some sun, but when a little mucky it is rideable and the trail does not seem or feel negatively impacted.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be at a friend's lake cabin a little west of Crivitz at the end of July, and I'm going to see if I can sneak away from the wife and kids for a while to go visit Roche.

Anyone know how long of a drive? Google maps gives me 1.5 hrs, but it really doesn't look that far...
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

45 minutes or less from

45 minutes or less from kosirs rafting on the Peshtigo, which is west of Crivitz.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

steve is right on dry time

half day or less if a one time rain event. Currently very wet,probably a bit longer,

Members who have read this thread: 0