Nice winter biking conditions in SE Wisconsin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Nice winter biking conditions in SE Wisconsin

Just got back from riding my local trails (Petrifying Springs Park in Kenosha) and conditions were pretty nice. It's been a strange past couple of weeks. 10 days ago I was skiing some of these same trails, 1 week ago it was 60 degrees and we had tornados touching down within a mile of these trails, and today, temps in the 20s and nice frozen ground conditions.
    There were still a few soft spots and some open water crossings, but overall the vast majority of the trail was frozen dirt. Some sections were a little slow due to the crystallizing of the surface from freezing, but if a few more riders hit it, it should smooth out. We did get a dusting of snow as I was riding this afternoon, but not enough to slow things down.
    For those of you familiar with the trails, note that a couple of the homemade bridges placed on the trails on the Parkside Land this fall, have already been washed away (they actually washed away during the thaw and rains back in December).

Anyway, great conditions, and if the snow continues to stay light, should be good for the rest of the week at least. Not sure what it's like in the Kettles, but I suspect they may have some snow cover on the trails there.

Edit: The pic below is NOT one of the washed away bridges, it's just a pic from the trail I thought I would post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trailville; 01-14-2008 at 08:08 PM.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for posting this. I'm always looking for places to ride in the winter.

No longer 26
    Cool,
    I am hoping the 'tosa trails are in a similar condition. I'd like to try to ride there Saturday morning.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    If anyone rides out there this weekend, please post up trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nice conditions this morning in Chicago. This weekend might be a little gnarly, -5 and windy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Still good

Quote Originally Posted by zenboy99
    If anyone rides out there this weekend, please post up trail conditions.
    I got out to Pets again this afternoon (Friday) and it's still great conditions for January. We had a thaw yesterday, but temps got down to 10 F last night so everything froze up hard again. It's still mostly frozen dirt with a dusting of snow on top. Occasionally you may hit a root that's a little slippery from some snow/ice, but overrall very good traction conditions. It's actually very good conditions for hittin the steeps since there's very good traction and there's no way you're contributing to erosion with the ground frozen sollid.
    No doubt the trail conditions will be very good through the weekend if you can handle the cooooooold temps.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Who's riding in the mud?

A small group of us rode out there this morning. Trails are nice and hard but does anyone know who is riding out there when it's muddy? The trails were superfast and packed in well this fall and now there are ruts up to 4 inches deep everywhere. That's kind of a shame since there is a small group of people out there trying to maintain the system and keep the trails clean. There will be a lot of work to do in the spring to get them back to optimal condition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat
    A small group of us rode out there this morning. Trails are nice and hard but does anyone know who is riding out there when it's muddy? The trails were superfast and packed in well this fall and now there are ruts up to 4 inches deep everywhere. That's kind of a shame since there is a small group of people out there trying to maintain the system and keep the trails clean. There will be a lot of work to do in the spring to get them back to optimal condition.
    Those ruts were there when I rode Monday and looked pretty fresh. I'm assuming someone rode there last weekend (probably Sunday) when anyone with more than half a brain cell would have known it was going to be really muddy. It looked like just one or two riders.
    I remember early spring a couple of years back, I was hiking with my dog out there because I knew the conditions would be too soft to ride, and I came across this guy trying to ride, but he must have had 20 pounds of mud on his bike and his tires could barely move. I think I made a comment like "not the best conditions for riding" or something, and his comment was something like "it was such a nice day, I just wanted to get out and ride". This guy was definately a noob, so I hoped he learned his lesson (I'm not particularly into scolding other trail users).
    But I do think you are exaggerating just a wee bit when you said "ruts up to 4 inches deep everywhere". There were quite a few especially on the East side of the river on the Parkside land, and I was probably just about as annoyed as you were when I saw them , but fortunately most of the trail was still in pretty good shape (and I rode just about everything out there this week).
    If you're one of the people doing the trail maintenance out there, I just want to say thanks. You folks are doing some nice work. I hope those weren't your bridges that washed away though. Those two spots get some pretty good current going when the rains come, so it's tough to get a low-lying bridge to stay put.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'm just exaggerating...I'll bring my ruler on todays ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No need. I guess we have different opinions on what "everywhere" means.
    Have a good ride. If the snow holds off, I'm hoping to get out there again sometime during the week when the temps get a little more reasonable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I actually know the guys that ride Pets in all conditions. They ride every Tuesday night at 7. I don't think they mean harm in riding the trails when conditions are sloppy. Happy go lucky crowd that spends more time talking than riding. They help with trail maintenance quite a bit. I ride with them once in a while, but I only ride out there after the spring thaw when things dry out a bit. They would be more than happy to welcome new riders. I warn you though, the pace is slow, but fun times. I ride Pets 3-5 days a week during the summer, normally by myself. So I know the trails better than anyone cept maybe for trailville dude who I think created a detailed map and description of the Park trails. When spring comes we should come up with a day to meet and ride and post it on mtbr. I am always looking for someone to ride with at Pets. I hit up kettle once and a while too.
    Ride your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Don't know if it was your friends or not, I'm having a hard time believing that someone that has helped out with trail maintenance would have ridden the trails under those conditions, but who knows. I think you basically have a couple of groups of riders that do that, noobs that don't know any better (will probably stop eventually) and riders that know better but simply don't care and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop them.

I'm pretty familiar with the trails but I don't ride them anywhere near as often as it looks like you do (but I also hike and ski out there). I've always preferred riding alone for the most part and generally don't plan more than a few hours into the future so I tend to stay away from anything organized. I occasionally will run into another rider going the same direction and ride with them a bit, but that's about as social as I get.

That really was some nice mid-winter riding over the past week. I got out there again on Monday afternoon as the snow was falling, and it was still pretty good.

For non-locals, Kenosha got a lot less snow Monday night than areas north and west so the trails are probably still rideable with just a couple of inches of dry powdery snow. Kettle Moraine trails got a lot more snow (like almost a foot). I was XC skiing yesterday at Lapham.

Members who have read this thread: 0