New Park in NW WI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Park in NW WI

This land is located a few miles from where I grew up and I rode there before I knew what a mtb was. The land as I remember it has several miles of old logging roads and would be perfect for mtb biking. This region of the state has virtually no mtb trails on public land and the Ice Age trail (this is a great trail that doesn't see enough users to keep it clear of vegetation in the summer) is closed to biking unless marked otherwise. This would be an excellent opportunity for any local mtbr and it would be on the route from the Twin Cities to the Cable area.
    I will be moving back to that area in early May and plan on being involved with the public input during the master planning of this park and hopefully the proposal of any bike trails. Let me know if you would like to be involved.

New Straight Lake park purchase approved

Gregg Westigard 30.MAR.05

MADISON ? The new 2,700-acre state park and wildlife area near Luck took a major step forward Wednesday, March 23, when the Natural Resources Board approved the purchase of the property. Acquisition will be completed when Gov. Jim Doyle signs the papers for the $10,600,000 project.

Two units will be established in the 2,779 acres of woods and open land. The southwest half will become the Straight Lake Wilderness State Park while the northeast half will be the Straight River Wildlife Area. Each section will have different uses.

The state park area will be maintained in its natural state. It contains the 107-acre Straight Lake, an undeveloped body of water of very high quality. It is part of a glacial channel system described as the most unique example in the Midwest. The lake is home to a bald eagle nest and trumpeter swans and is surrounded by 850 acres of hardwood approaching old growth characteristics.

The state wildlife area includes open land surrounding three artificial lakes. The land was once cleared for a proposed golf course. This area will be open to seasonal hunting and other recreational uses.

The Ice Age Trail will cross the property, adding over three miles of new hiking to a trail that runs from Lake Michigan to the St. Croix River. Existing trails through the property are excellent for cross-country skiing and hiking. Full use of the property will be determined when a master plan is developed. That process will include public input.

The funds for the purchase come from two sources, the state Stewardship Program (74%) and the Federal Land and Water Conservation Program (26%). The stewardship program was established in 1989 to preserve significant land and water resources and provide land and facilities for outdoor experiences. The program is funded by stewardship bonds and no funds come from general tax revenue.

The property for the park and wildlife area is located in the towns of Luck and Bone Lake. The parcel was assembled in the late 70s as a proposed recreational community. That project, once known as Craigwood, never reached the market stage. However, land was cleared for a golf course and several buildings, including a clubhouse, model home, and riding stable were built. The clubhouse and home are now owned by a church group and are not part of the purchase.

Brunkow Hardwoods Corporation bought the land from the original developers and has preserved the property in its natural state. In recent years, plots have been leased for hunting use but no land has been cleared and no building has taken place. The company has been negotiating a sale to the state for several years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great news!!! Hope to see some killer single track through all that old growth!
    Thanks for posting, keep us up to date! You might want to throw a link up on www.morcmtb.org!
    L8R
    Buck

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Don't let this happen to you...

Just a few years ago, Tommy Thompson State Park in NE Wisconsin was about where you are now. It came time for the master planning public input. I sent out several emails to my personal list, and posted the information on several websites to get mtbrs to the meeting. Come the meeting, it was myself and one other mtbr, with 40 or 50 equestrians and another 40-50 ATVrs/snowmobilers and ALL of whome made it very clear they wanted nothing to do wih having mtbrs in the park. To this day I still get gruff from people that "why didn't I do something about this"? Fact is "I" did. I did everthing I could, short of sending out chauffered limosines to get mtbrs to the meeting. So I'm telling you this gripe of mine, hoping that things will go better for you than they did around here. Stay on top of things, keep spreading the word, and get people involved. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Viste
    Just a few years ago, Tommy Thompson State Park in NE Wisconsin was about where you are now. It came time for the master planning public input. I sent out several emails to my personal list, and posted the information on several websites to get mtbrs to the meeting. Come the meeting, it was myself and one other mtbr, with 40 or 50 equestrians and another 40-50 ATVrs/snowmobilers and ALL of whome made it very clear they wanted nothing to do wih having mtbrs in the park. To this day I still get gruff from people that "why didn't I do something about this"? Fact is "I" did. I did everthing I could, short of sending out chauffered limosines to get mtbrs to the meeting. So I'm telling you this gripe of mine, hoping that things will go better for you than they did around here. Stay on top of things, keep spreading the word, and get people involved. Good luck!
    I can see something like that happening, especially with the equestrians. I can't imagine there are more than a dozen mtbrs within a 20 mile radius of the park, hopefully I am wrong. If you have any pointers on who to contact or what can be done to generate more interest it would be appreciated. Did you contact IMBA?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is what I did, I started a e-mail list for FR/DHers in MN...b/c people have been telling me the numbers aren't there. So I decided I'd see about that. I started spreading the word about a DH race in the middle of winter at a local ski hill, the race usually only has 6-7 people, this year there were 38 riders...get the word out early and lots, bombard people with it and they will usually show!

Good luck!
    Keeps us posted!
    Thanks
    L8R
    Buck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    oops, double post

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck
    Here is what I did, I started a e-mail list for FR/DHers in MN...b/c people have been telling me the numbers aren't there. So I decided I'd see about that. I started spreading the word about a DH race in the middle of winter at a local ski hill, the race usually only has 6-7 people, this year there were 38 riders...get the word out early and lots, bombard people with it and they will usually show!

Good luck!
    Keeps us posted!
    Thanks
    L8R
    Buck
    I suggest using the WORBA mail list, and being in contact with WORBA in general on the issue. I've sent letters and e-mail for support of property plans and hearings when I've been aware of them via that list. I suggest being in contact with WORBA because our local chapter and the state-wide people have done much to make things happen at Blue Mound where I work most often.

Also keep your sprits up. I've been involved in groups supporting music, school, skiing, fishing, congregation, neighborhood and biking over many years and it always seems like it is a pretty small group who actually come through with time and/or money.