New biker- Mtbr.com

Thread: New biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New biker

Hello all I just got back into biking after about 8 years or so. When I was younger it was just biking around town/bike trails but I just bought a Trek 4300 so I'm looking to get into some harder stuff. Right now I'm just getting into shape before I tackle anything hard but I have my sights on Kettle Moraine as I live in Brodhead and it wouldn't be that far. Are there any good trails that are better for a beginner?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My advice is to just get on any trail with rollable jumps only and take it slow. As long as you don't go on any trails with drops or anything you should be ok.

Hey would you be able to pinpoint on a map or something where the kettle morain trails are? I'm very certain they're the ones near me, but I keep thinking there might be another set of trails somewhere, too.
    Last edited by mmik; 06-08-2010 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In my opinion, the Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State forest offers some of the best mountain biking trails in the Midwest. There are a number of different loops of varying lengths that will accommodate riders of almost any skill level.

For now I would recommend you stick to the John Muir trail system and in particular the red and maybe white loops to start with. As your endurance and technical skills grow then you can branch out to the orange, green and blue loops as well as the Emma Carlin trail system and connector trail.

For more detailed information on the trails you can visit southernkettles.org. If you have any questions feel free to ask. You can usually find a member of the national mountain bike patrol at the trailhead or on the trail if you need assistance. We're the ones wearing the red jerseys with the white crosses on them. Have fun!
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks! I was actually looking at some online trail guides for both John Muir and Emma Carlin and those were definitely trails on my list of visiting first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    My advice is to just get on any trail with rollable jumps only and take it slow. As long as you don't go on any trails with drops or anything you should be ok.

Hey would you be able to pinpoint on a map or something where the kettle morain trails are? I'm very certain they're the ones near me, but I keep thinking there might be another set of trails somewhere, too.

John Muir Trail Head; (note the little A icon is not the location.scroll left on the map a bit to see the GREEN ARROW. this is where teh trailhead is.)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=14
    conversely, you can just enter these coordinates into Google Maps - 42.820215,-88.602573

Emma Carlin Trail Head;
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=16&iwloc=A
    42.870564, -88.543878

Members who have read this thread: 0