Need ride and rental advice for Steven's Point, WI area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need ride and rental advice for Steven's Point, WI area

Hey all!

My girlfriend and I are flying up to Wisconsin on Saturday for a much needed 2 week getaway.

We were going to drive and take bikes and gear, but decided we didn't feel like fighting traffic for that long.

I need some recommendations from locals on ride spots and shops where we can get rental bikes. Here are the basics you may need to give me advice:

- We'll be in the Steven's Pointe area. I'd like to keep our travels and rides within maybe 50 miles from there.
    - We want to rent decent mountain bikes AND decent road bikes for 2 weeks. Hardtail mtb's are fine, but something decent that we can ride.
    - She knows where to ride on the road (I converted her ) but we need some recommendations on MTB trails. No big DH or crazy stuff, just some fun singletrack/fireroad, etc. that we can have fun on.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Hit 9 Mile Forest...

just southwest of Wausau. That should be in your 50 mile radius of Stevens Point. I don't know about rentals but you might try the Hostell Shoppe in downtown Point for your bike needs.

Account Retired
    In addition to Nine Mile County Forest (highly recommended), there is the underdown trails north of Merril and standing rocks right in Stevens point.

mtbr member
    Give me a call, I'll show you around. 715-347-5554, ask for Logan. You can also email me at [email protected] We've got some really nice trails in this part of the state. Standing Rocks and 9 Mile as the others mentioned, but also some little hidden bits right here within Stevens Point, and Levi's Mound is only a little bit outside your 50 mile radius but well worth the drive. There are sections of Levi's that'll have you thinking you're in Utah. If you're willing to drive for about 2 hours though, you can go up Razorback Ridge and have a remote, beautiful 50 mile loop with plenty of technical sections at your disposal. For rentals, Hostel Shop is right downtown, but you might give Pump and Pedal a call as well. Really cool guys, they are the upstart shop in town and might be able to give you a better deal than Hostel if they have what you need. Good sandwiches there too (it's a bike shop/gas station/sandwich shop/pizzeria/skate shop/convenience store). Oh, and if you like beer, be sure to drink some Central Waters while you're here, it's brewed in Junction City which is only about 10 miles from Point.

Hostel Shop - 715-341-2453

Pump and Pedal - 715-345-7867
    Last edited by Mighty Drop Off; 07-01-2005 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks!

I actually got some rentals lined up from a place called Nature Treks. Know of them?

Rocky Mountain full sussers for $50/week. Sounded like a great deal to me. Let me know if I can do better elsewhere.

We'll give you a call later this weekend when we get there! Thanks so much for the hospitality!

Brian

mtbr member
    I had forgotten about Nature Treks.I knew they rented bikes, but I always thought they only had low-end stuff. That does sound like a heck of a good deal at $50 a week, I doubt you'll do better anywhere else, since Nature Treks is solely in the business of outdoor equipment rentals. Give me a call anytime you're here. As long as I'm not tossing back a few brews, I'll be game for a ride!
    Last edited by Mighty Drop Off; 07-02-2005 at 01:12 AM. Reason: umm...speling

dwj
    mtbr member
    i'll be rolling into sturgeon bay for a week on july 29th. how far are these trails from sturgeon bay? can you recommend any trails near sturgeon bay? any skateparks or dirt jumping spots in the area?

mtbr member
    Sturgeon Bay is about 2.5 hours east/NE of where we're talking about. I don't know any of the trails over that way, check the trail review section.

dwj
    mtbr member
    thanks, i did check the trail review section and couldn't find anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Couple of options

Quote Originally Posted by dwj
    i'll be rolling into sturgeon bay for a week on july 29th. how far are these trails from sturgeon bay? can you recommend any trails near sturgeon bay? any skateparks or dirt jumping spots in the area?
    Not a lot of options in the Door County/Sturgeon Bay area that I'm aware of (maybe all the locals keep it a secret???). Potowani (sp?) State Park on Sturgeon Bay has MTB trails. I think they are about 3-5 miles and relatively mild.

Kewaunee has a nice county forest/land MTB trail at a ski/sledding area. About 7 miles or so of intermediate terrain with some short steep climbs. Kewaunee is about 30-45 minutes south of Sturgeon Bay.

Bairds Creek on the east side of Green Bay has a mix of everything. It's hard to put a figure on the mileage, but I'd guess 12-15 miles. It's a huge network of trails with a bit of everything - climbs, technical roots/rocks, open fields, etc. They also have a mini dirt jump area. It's kind of built at the bottom of a small hill. Couple of different lines - but no series of jump in a row.

Enjoy Door County!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i live in SB. without a doubt the best riding around here is the kewaunee winter park trails in kewaunee, 40 min south of SB. fabulous buff and twisty singletrack there, easily in the top 5 trails in the state for challenging yet fun xc riding with a racer-ish sorta bent. do not bring a beginer there, or anybody of a less than a "pretty good" sport class racer/level rider who does not mind breathing hard, as the trails are hilly and relentless.

next up would be pennisula park in sister bay/fish creek. easy riding up there, but not much of it. still, it is a very very nice park and quite beautiful - mix in a little of the inner loop roads and the above average bike path and beach and it is a nice day.

potawatomi park in SB itself has riding, but it is very tame and somewhat annoyingly bumpy double track skating xc ski trail. kinda sucks, really. there is a little quality s-track in there of the illegal variety, and not many rangers so if you are feeling lucky . . . .

uhhhhh, thassit, apart from a few small and sketchy private stashes here and there. i would bring the fixed gear road bike, bro - the backroads rule for that. or, just have fun and hit kewaunee a couple times. hope this helped.

mtnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    In addition to Nine Mile County Forest (highly recommended), there is the underdown trails north of Merril and standing rocks right in Stevens point.

north of Merrill? that's pretty much where I spent everyweekend when I was a kid at my grandparents place just off Pope Road near Geiss' butcher shop. We own a bunch of land to the west of Merrill near the cranberry marsh. Have you ridden much in that area or are the underdown trails further north on 51 toward Tomahawk?

Members who have read this thread: 0