must rides, il to mn- Mtbr.com
    is buachail foighneach me

must rides, il to mn

i'll be going through the midwest in mid-late may this year, on my way to alaska(moving). i would like to hit up some trails along the way. my route will take me south of chicago, i would like to go through madison, and definitely want to at least stop in minneapolis on my way to the black hills festival in south dakota.

so, without sidetripping too far off of a relatively straight line, can anyone reccomend some good rides along the way?

i love technical, tight and twisty, and long rides. i enjoy 12 mile rides, but prefer them to be longer than 30 miles. i don't mind a little backtracking, but loops are usually more fun.

thank you.

=========
    Right on your way

Blue Mound State Park - West of Madison
    Levis Trow Mounds - North of Black River Falls

Bit of a side track

Decorah, Iowa
    HPT - LaCrosse, WI
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    The Farmdale Reservoir trails in Peoria IL are pretty nice. We'll again be there for the Midwest MB fest May 2nd 3rd and 4th.

http://www.pambamtb.org/festival/index.php
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check here for local trails in the Minneapolis area. Two trails that are the most interesting here are Lebanon hills and Murphy-Hanrehan... They are about fifteen to twenty minutes away from down town Minneapolis.
    Drew
    __________________________________________________ __
    Rides in Minneapolis, MN.

Brant-C.
    where are you coming from?
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

is buachail foighneach me
    thanks folks. coming from new jersey bcaronongan.

those are some really well thought out trail guides on the MORC site drew, thanks!

mtbr member
    i 2nd blue mounds, best techy singletrack in the state

one sick puppy
    I'll second Levis Trouw Mounds. Some schweet singletrack.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

Bear

Good info so far....

When you know your dates for Madison post up a message in the forums at www.madcitydirt.org. Must rides on your route are, as previously mentioned, Blue Mounds and Levis Trow. Be glad to show you around depending when you come through.

Bear

No longer 26
    Yeah, Blue Mounds and Levis Trow are tough to beat. Not too far off the freeway either 30-45 mins plus or minus. If you are going to go to Levis for sure, let me know when. My folks live close by and I can get there on a weekend.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Depending on your travel route, you can also catch Palos Forest Preserve located southwest of Chicago, and then John Muir / Emma Carlin in Kettle Moraine State Forest located between Chicago and Madison
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Brant-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    thanks folks. coming from new jersey bcaronongan.

those are some really well thought out trail guides on the MORC site drew, thanks!
    peoria, il is your best chance (lots of good trails) unless you want to go further to southern illinois. shawnee forest and cedar lake are very, very technical singletrack. but you will need someone to show you the trails.

have a great trip!
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Second Peoria IL area. Farmdale, Indy, Dirksen, and Jubilee (not as big, but still fun) combine to around 40 miles of trails within 15-minute drives of each other. Indy and Dirksen are practically connected for 20 miles, and I am beat after that. If you still want more riding, check out Comlara close to Bloomington IL, a still-short drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You'll probably be taking 94 so stop in Eau Claire. We'll treat ya right. We can go for a ride at Lowes Creek. It is really close to the interstate. Very easy to find. My friend lives right by there and we can meet up at his place, then ride the mile to the park. http://www.co.eau-claire.wi.us/Parks...ounty_Park.htm

mtnjunky
    Jan 2008
    If you are going close to Iowa, stop at FDR Park in Dubuque. Very technical, rocks, drops, lots of climbs and lots of trail work being done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    so, without sidetripping too far off of a relatively straight line, can anyone reccomend some good rides along the way?

If your coming thru on I-80, Peoria is way out of the way. The Outback trails in Portage Indiana are very close to 80, exit right after you pay the exorbitant Indiana toll!

http://www.outbacktrail.org/

Enjoy, Alaska is amazing!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    A few more are off of the I 80/90 Turnpike in Indiana - not quite as close as the Outback, but within about an hour or so.

Rum Village in South Bend (less than 20 min)
    Potato Creek south of SB (again about 20 min)
    Winona Lake between South Bend and Fort Wayne off of US 30 (about 1 hour)

And in Michigan about 90 min or so is Ft Custer or Yankee.

Rum Village is a city park with 6 miles in 40 acres. Tight and twisty. Not a lot of elevation change, but heck that's Indiana for ya. Mostly advanced beginner/intermediate riding.

Potato Creek is so far beginner trail. But it's 6 miles and swoopy and fun. NIMBA is still working to try and take the next step for the intermediate trail. It could easily be in my favorite places to ride, it just needs tha _next_ loop.

Winona Lake is a blast, a variety of skill levels and decent use of the terrain. One of my favorite places to ride.

Fort Custer is a blast! Miles of trail, swoopy and fun. It might be a bit further, and have a bit more of a cost for entry, but well worth it! It's on the favorites list too. (Along with Brown County south of Indy, but that's a bit far from I-80.)

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Members who have read this thread: 0