Multi Day Mt. biking routes in wisconsin area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Multi Day Mt. biking routes in wisconsin area?

This summer i want to plan this multi day mountain bike trip somwhere in midwest. Does anyone know of any routes that you can take then set up camp in the backcountry or at designated campsites? Ive been thinking about the idea of biking 40+ miles a day then setting up a camp for the night then biking from there the next day, if that doesnt work then i was also thinking about setting up a base camp someplace and doing day trips from there. Does the Camba area offer any backcountry camping? I was thinking either that area or trying something through the hundreds of miles of logging/snowmoble routes in northern wisconsin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here's some info...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmansbro
    This summer i want to plan this multi day mountain bike trip somwhere in midwest. Does anyone know of any routes that you can take then set up camp in the backcountry or at designated campsites? Ive been thinking about the idea of biking 40+ miles a day then setting up a camp for the night then biking from there the next day, if that doesnt work then i was also thinking about setting up a base camp someplace and doing day trips from there. Does the Camba area offer any backcountry camping? I was thinking either that area or trying something through the hundreds of miles of logging/snowmoble routes in northern wisconsin.
    This should help ya. It's from the CAMBA website CAMBA . Here's the page for camping info: CAMBA camping info

Looks like they allow camping where-ever in the Chequamegon Forest, which is cool. They just ask you set yourself up off the trail and water sources, and obviously haul out what you haul in.

The CAMBA system would be a sweet network to do what you're thinking of. The crazy amount of square mileage it has means you could probably do the mileage you're looking at without riding the same trail twice. Plus, the area is very nicely mapped and signed on the trails. I'd say go for it. Obviously I'd plan it out as much as possible - for water sources, emergency exit routes, etc. If you don't have the official CAMBA maps, I'd spend the $5 and get them. You can order them on their website. They are very nice.

Riding in northern Wisconsin on the snowmobile 'highways' would be another option, but I can't speak on how the mapping/signage is on those trails. I imagine ATVs use them during the summer - same as CAMBA, but CAMBA also has some MTB only singletracks - some very nice ones at that. Also, CAMBA maintains the trails very well in the summer, I don't think the same applies for the northern Wisconsin ones.

Let us know what you ended up doing. Have fun!