mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Mtn bike/camping Mn or Wisc or ??

Hello
    My family is leaving me all alone for memorial weekend coming up. I thought what an awesome chance to get the van, dogs, and bikes and some beers and take a mtn biking camping trip. The dogs will be staying at the campsite and not on trails so no dog/trail issue. I will be leaving from Maple Grove, Mn. and am looking for about 2-3 hour drive. I am interested in somewhere that I can camp right off the trail. You are probably saying Cuyuna and http://truenorthbasecamp.com/ and yes that is a perfect place. I have looked into this and Yes I would love to stay there but it wont work for me, I will be taking dogs (2) and the cost for them is almost equal to the entire camping cost, sorry to pricey for even them. Next is the DNR site but that looks iffy and it gets bad reviews, not my type of camping, so on to another option. I was clued into Levis Mound trail in Neillsville, WI but they are having an endurance race there this weekend so Im not looking for such traffic on the trail

What do you suggest? Any ideas? Give me what you got.

Thanks
    Pat
    Last edited by Mulcheese; 04-19-2018 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The DNR campground at Cuyuna is great, I've stayed there a few times and always had a good time.

I'll suggest Duluth. There's a ton of great trails and campsites aren't too far away.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    The DNR campground at Cuyuna is great, I've stayed there a few times and always had a good time.

I'll suggest Duluth. There's a ton of great trails and campsites aren't too far away.
    Still trying to wrap my head around the DNR campground. Im a bit of a camping snob. I tend to like the more primitive secluded sites. The DNR looks like a field to pack RV's in. Thinking

Duluth, Ill say no only cause I lived there for 10 years, before trails albeit but I prefer to camp in places more unknown to me. Besides Duluth will more than likely have snow until June, seriously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The DNR campground has some sites that are a bit more private and have good tree cover, but you have to get there early to get one as itís first come and no reservations, I believe it fills every weekend. The other option you could look into is the city park in Crosby which allows camping.

mtbr member
    Cuyuna may be the only place north of here with open trails by Memorial Day weekend.

If you're still looking for an alternative, check out the CAMBA trails in Hayward/Cable, WI. Good riding with many, many camping options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    Cuyuna may be the only place north of here with open trails by Memorial Day weekend.

If you're still looking for an alternative, check out the CAMBA trails in Hayward/Cable, WI. Good riding with many, many camping options.
    Yes Not much will be open by then.

Yes already looking into CAMBA trails. I got more info on Levis Mound trail in Neillsville, WI and I am looking to plan the trip there. The race will only take up part of the trail on Saturday and most will be gone on Sunday so Im good. Camping should not be full either.
    Last edited by Mulcheese; 04-21-2018 at 04:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulcheese View Post
    Hello
    My family is leaving me all alone for memorial weekend coming up. I thought what an awesome chance to get the van, dogs, and bikes and some beers and take a mtn biking camping trip. The dogs will be staying at the campsite and not on trails so no dog/trail issue. I will be leaving from Maple Grove, Mn. and am looking for about 2-3 hour drive. I am interested in somewhere that I can camp right off the trail. You are probably saying Cuyuna and http://truenorthbasecamp.com/ and yes that is a perfect place. I have looked into this and Yes I would love to stay there but it wont work for me, I will be taking dogs (2) and the cost for them is almost equal to the entire camping cost, sorry to pricey for even them. Next is the DNR site but that looks iffy and it gets bad reviews, not my type of camping, so on to another option. I was clued into Levis Mound trail in Neillsville, WI but they are having an endurance race there this weekend so Im not looking for such traffic on the trail

What do you suggest? Any ideas? Give me what you got.

Thanks
    Pat
    The WEMS race was moved to later in the year due to the snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    The WEMS race was moved to later in the year due to the snow.
    Yes from next weekend (4/28) to the weekend I am going (5/26). It appears that I will be fine. No to planning, unless another wrench gets thrown in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes to other things said.

The late wet spring would make setting your hopes on Blue Mound a bit risky but that's a campground and MTB site. A whole lot of great hand work has been done in the past year+ that many are not aware of. There was a machine assisted project to fix unsustainable trail. If you have real mountain biking in mind - going to mountains - the right rides at Blue Mound mean more vertical than most Midwest rides and more facing stuff that time and glaciers were not able to sanitize.

If you want to consider nice rides that are not necessarily on everyone's greatest hits lists (Levis, Cayuna, Duluth) think about north central WI. The Wausau area has had a lot of trail improvement with a new bike park open. Slightly north are Underdown and Washburn Lake. Underdown is not for everyone but it's quite out there or away from stuff for the Midwest, sizable, beyond paved roads and probably not in the marketing plans for cel phone providers. Washburn Lake has to be one of the more not on and should be on people's radar rides. It's a great mix of old and new school, a not everything made by machine and what's made by machine is good.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ