MTB Options ...- Mtbr.com

Thread: MTB Options ...

mtbr member

MTB Options ...

I'm originally from WI, but have been out of state for 10+ years. I travel to WI regularly as I still have family in-state (Menomonee Falls & Hartford areas), and if I ever did move back I would have three cities for work options: Appleton, Madison, and Milwaukee. I wasn't as serious of a mtb rider when I did live there but I very much enjoy mtb nowadays ... I even participate in a few endurance race events each year (Wausau 24 being one). I also do a good bit of road riding, but mtb is what I'm more passionate about (and might try cy-cross next year).

Anyway, I'm hoping some current WI riders could give opinions on which of the three listed cities/areas provide the best (and most) mtb trails? Even though it's the least rural of the three, I'm guessing Milwaukee might be the best because of the South Kettle trails within 30-40 miles, with Appleton being the worst as I don't see many posts from the area, or many area trails listed at online sites?

Thanks for any feedback!

mtbr member
    While I didn't expect a "lot" of replies this time of year in a WI/MN thread ... I was hoping for at least a little bit from current WI riders? I see there isn't much traffic at this thread compared to many other areas, but figured it was worth a shot.

I did a few searches on the Appleton area and didn't come up with much, although it does sound like there is some good mtb riding to the north a bit (Roche trail), which I think would be appx an hour away. I know Milwaukee has great trails in the South Kettle area, but unsure of much else. I previously lived in the Sun Prairie/Madison area for appx 9 years but did most riding on pavement back then, so really not familiar with off-road options.

I know WI has some great races annually, but really wondering which of the three cities offer the best day-to-day riding options ... mtb first, but also road and cx?

Lord Thunderbottom
    This might help you a bit
    Presenting the WORS 2012 Season | Wisconsin Off Road Series

there's quite a few trails in the green bay and fond du lac area near appleton, I'm not sure what is all near milwaukee but I can say that the reforestation camp in green bay as well as both the greenbush a new fane kettles closer to me are good trails

mtbr member
    I don't know much about the riding in the Appleton or Milwaukee area, although living in Madison (coming from WA state) I do make it to S. Kettles, just not as often as I like. Probably under a 40 minute drive from the near west side is Blue Mounds, which has a lot of sharp rocks but also the fast MTB Overload trail, and then in the other direction is CamRock. Both places lack the miles of trails that Kettles has, but you can easily spend a couple of hours at either. I have not been riding at Devil's Head in years, not sure if it is even open. About a 20 minute ride from my house is a fun little trail system at Quarry Ridge. Small, but very nice.

West of Madison offers great road riding, just wish there was as much dirt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Milwaukee has Rays for the winter and Kettles for summer riding, plus a couple others. Not sure about Appleton but Madison doesn't have much in the way of singletrack but is a very bike friendly city.

mtbr member
    I'll admit that the city of Madison doesn't have much singletrack within the city limits, but Dane County overall isn't doing too bad.

Blue Mound State Park: ~13 miles of the rockiest singletrack around.
    Cam-Rock: ~10 miles of trail total. Can be strung into about a 7 mile loop.
    Quarry Ridge: Not many miles but it's close to the city and has some fun sections.
    Middleton Bike Park: Pump track and progressive jump line. Also more XC trail planned in the future.
    Quarry Park: Not to be confused with Quarry Ridge. Has some trialsy and dirt jump stuff.

For more specific info and more Madison local input, go here...

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow!!! More out there than I realized. Thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone ... very much appreciated! I'll check out the links you included and hopefully find more helpful info. Right now Appleton and Milwaukee are the most likely spots to have an opening for me, but nothing definite at this time. I'm kind of looking at a 2-4 year window for a possible future move?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Appleton has nothing local but within an hour drive is Baird Creek, Reforestation Camp, Hartman Creek, and Standing Rocks. Greenbush is 1-1.25 hours away. Roche is about 1.5 hours or something.

Centrally located but the driving does add up. I wouldn't recommend moving here if you want to live less than 40 minutes from a good trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    This might help you a bit
    Presenting the WORS 2012 Season | Wisconsin Off Road Series

there's quite a few trails in the green bay and fond du lac area near appleton, I'm not sure what is all near milwaukee but I can say that the reforestation camp in green bay as well as both the greenbush a new fane kettles closer to me are good trails

Thanks for the link. It looks like a few of those spots would be a fairly short drive (hour or less) ... Reforestation Camp, Iola Winter Sports Area, and Nordic Mountain. Well worth it if trails allow for longer rides of 2+ hours? Are these trails open all riding season, or only during races?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inteq9 View Post
    Appleton has nothing local but within an hour drive is Baird Creek, Reforestation Camp, Hartman Creek, and Standing Rocks. Greenbush is 1-1.25 hours away. Roche is about 1.5 hours or something.

Centrally located but the driving does add up. I wouldn't recommend moving here if you want to live less than 40 minutes from a good trail.
    How about for road riding, does Appleton have many good road routes and/or paved trail systems? I know Madison has good road riding on the west side and Milwaukee has a decent amount in the South Kettle area. Where I live now we have a lot of paved trails which actually make for good riding and run thru some nice country areas, but few roads have much of a shoulder or bike path.

Any cyclocross action in the area? I'm living in Iowa right now and we have lots of gravel roads so many riders buy cyclocross bikes to open up more road route options ... there's also quite a few cyclocross races in the area.

mtbr member
    One other thing I thought I'd mention. if I did move to Appleton I'd be working at the Outagamie Airport (Greenville I think), so more than likely I wouldn't actually live in Appleton. I'd be ok with a 20-30 mile commute to the airport if that put me into a nicer area with better biking and/or lake property options?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    ...Iola Winter Sports Area...
    AFAIK, Iola is only open to bikes for the annual WORS race and that's it.

mtbr member
    Any cyclocross action in the area? I'm living in Iowa right now and we have lots of gravel roads so many riders buy cyclocross bikes to open up more road route options ... there's also quite a few cyclocross races in the area.
    Lots of cross in the Madison/Milwaukee area. Lots of races within an hour of each city. In Madison, we have weekly cross practices in city parks throughout the cross season. I'm sure that MKE has something similar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How about for road riding, does Appleton have many good road routes and/or paved trail systems? I know Madison has good road riding on the west side and Milwaukee has a decent amount in the South Kettle area. Where I live now we have a lot of paved trails which actually make for good riding and run thru some nice country areas, but few roads have much of a shoulder or bike path.

There are a pretty large number of road riders in Appleton. There are a lot of different routes, but not a lot of big hills. It gets windy as hell though sometimes due to lack of trees and hills. There are several group ride options available if you're into that sort of thing. Its also quick and easy to get out of town. There are also weekly cyclocross practices open to anyone.

There are a bunch of paved trails with more in discussion.
    Last edited by inteq9; 02-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.

aka bOb
    Get into CWA airport near Wausau, a great location in the center of a bunch of great trail systems with more to come! Sorry just had to throw a plug in for central WI.

Sweep the leg!
    Nater, you forgot Area 25.5 out by Barlow and Mineral Point roads. Get permission first.

The 'cross scene is quite healthy in southern Wisco. wicycling.org for 'cross and road racing information.

My favorite trails (in no particular order) are Standing Rocks (just south of Stevens Point), Levis, Eau Claire, Reforestation Camp (just north of Green Bay), CamRock (east of Madison).

I grew up racing in Menasha back in the late 1970's. I don't know about today, but we spent a lot of time headed toward High Cliff State Park or south toward Oshkosh. I live in Madison now. Most of my riding is in western & northern Dane County for hillier rides, southern Dane for mixed flat/hilly rides, and eastern Dane for flat rides.

There's group rides on Tuedays (5pm) from the east arboretum entrance by St Mary's Hospital and a new 5:30 ride from the Capitol Brewery. That ride has a significant number of people new to riding so ride at your own peril. The Arb ride has more experienced riders and racers. It's a faster pace and drama is nearly nonexistent. There is also a Tuesday evening training race on the near west side at Research Park. But it is seasonal. Just up the block at Garner Park is cyclocross practice on Wednesdays during 'cross season.

Wednesday has the rotating ride. their schedule is at wnbr.org This ride has a few hundred riders of all abilities and the time you start is flexible. Most riders try to get rolling by 5:30. "The Fast Group" leaves 15 minutes after the "start" of the ride. It's controlled chaos as maybe half of the pack knows how to ride in a pack fast. Crashes are common and usually it's when the group passes the riders that left earlier. I use this ride as a "love ride" to recover and ride with friends and my wife.

Thursdays have two rides again, one out at the Capitol Brewery (same cast of characters) and the Bombay Bike Club. bombaybicycle.org The Bombay ride is smaller (50 at most) and they're older, less aggressive riders. Crashes are rare with Thursday Bombay group.

On the weekends there are organized group rides with the Bombay group. These are longer and better attended. During the pre-race season there are more racers and the quality is high.

There are also options in Milwaukee since I know plenty of people there who race too. They need to tell you about their scene.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've lived and MTB'd around Wisconsin quite a bit. Of the cities you listed - for best MTB'ing to worst IMO would be Madison, Milwaukee, Appleton.

I lived in Oshkosh for a year in the mid '00s and there is absolutely no MTB scene in the fox valley. Closest spot was North Kettles (Greenbush) which I'd really classify into the Milwaukee area. Next closest is Reforestration Camp and Bairds Creek in Green Bay.

Living in Milwaukee - South Kettles, North Kettles, and random small spots in the county parks are the main options. Beyond that you are driving to Madison or northern Wisconsin.

Madison has all the spots previously mentioned. Blue Mounds is a great spot. South Kettles is nearby (less than 1hr. drive), and all the great spots in central and northern WI are just a simple drive up 94 - Standing Rocks, Levis Mounds, 9 Mile.

My vote would be Madison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Get into CWA airport near Wausau, a great location in the center of a bunch of great trail systems with more to come! Sorry just had to throw a plug in for central WI.
    I would love CWA as a location, it's a beautiful area! Unfortunately no flights there with the airline I work for (FedEx), and too long of a daily commute to any location I could work. That said, I'd be willing to head out that way for some weekend rides if plenty of good trails, and I'll definitely be there this July for the Wausau 24 race ... great course and great race (at Nine Mile Forest I believe).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    I've lived and MTB'd around Wisconsin quite a bit. Of the cities you listed - for best MTB'ing to worst IMO would be Madison, Milwaukee, Appleton.

I lived in Oshkosh for a year in the mid '00s and there is absolutely no MTB scene in the fox valley. Closest spot was North Kettles (Greenbush) which I'd really classify into the Milwaukee area. Next closest is Reforestration Camp and Bairds Creek in Green Bay.

Living in Milwaukee - South Kettles, North Kettles, and random small spots in the county parks are the main options. Beyond that you are driving to Madison or northern Wisconsin.

Madison has all the spots previously mentioned. Blue Mounds is a great spot. South Kettles is nearby (less than 1hr. drive), and all the great spots in central and northern WI are just a simple drive up 94 - Standing Rocks, Levis Mounds, 9 Mile.

My vote would be Madison.
    I kind of figured many would put Appleton at the bottom of the list. That said a few others have mentioned a few trail systems that sound promising, and relatively close to Appleton (Roche, Reforestation, Baird Creek, Standing Rocks, ???).

Appleton presents the best fit from a work standpoint, and by far offers the most "bang-for-buck relating to housing and/or property ... especially lake property. Also closer to a lot of good northern WI spots. Milwaukee is the 2nd best fit from a work and family standpoint with Madison last ... not that I don't like Madison (lived in Sun Prairie for 9 years), just the least likely option for me.

Anyway I wanted to say thanks for all of you taking the time to give me feedback, very much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Nater, you forgot Area 25.5 out by Barlow and Mineral Point roads. Get permission first.

The 'cross scene is quite healthy in southern Wisco. wicycling.org for 'cross and road racing information.

My favorite trails (in no particular order) are Standing Rocks (just south of Stevens Point), Levis, Eau Claire, Reforestation Camp (just north of Green Bay), CamRock (east of Madison).

I grew up racing in Menasha back in the late 1970's. I don't know about today, but we spent a lot of time headed toward High Cliff State Park or south toward Oshkosh. I live in Madison now. Most of my riding is in western & northern Dane County for hillier rides, southern Dane for mixed flat/hilly rides, and eastern Dane for flat rides.

There's group rides on Tuedays (5pm) from the east arboretum entrance by St Mary's Hospital and a new 5:30 ride from the Capitol Brewery. That ride has a significant number of people new to riding so ride at your own peril. The Arb ride has more experienced riders and racers. It's a faster pace and drama is nearly nonexistent. There is also a Tuesday evening training race on the near west side at Research Park. But it is seasonal. Just up the block at Garner Park is cyclocross practice on Wednesdays during 'cross season.

Wednesday has the rotating ride. their schedule is at wnbr.org This ride has a few hundred riders of all abilities and the time you start is flexible. Most riders try to get rolling by 5:30. "The Fast Group" leaves 15 minutes after the "start" of the ride. It's controlled chaos as maybe half of the pack knows how to ride in a pack fast. Crashes are common and usually it's when the group passes the riders that left earlier. I use this ride as a "love ride" to recover and ride with friends and my wife.

Thursdays have two rides again, one out at the Capitol Brewery (same cast of characters) and the Bombay Bike Club. bombaybicycle.org The Bombay ride is smaller (50 at most) and they're older, less aggressive riders. Crashes are rare with Thursday Bombay group.

On the weekends there are organized group rides with the Bombay group. These are longer and better attended. During the pre-race season there are more racers and the quality is high.

There are also options in Milwaukee since I know plenty of people there who race too. They need to tell you about their scene.
    CORP Tuesday Evening Dirt should be added to Tuesdays. Posse meets at bike park and/or Blackhawk on Tuesdays. In addition to riding activities include an occasional swim in the spring, beer on the patio, and free WiFi. Ages range from not yet 3 to 60+. $20 Blackhawk bike membership required when the posse heads or meets there.

ChainSmokers has time trials at Blackhawk Ski Club on Wednesdays.

Sweep the leg!
    If Appleton is where the work is at I'd go for that. Here's a rough Idea of the locations of the trails we've mentioned for Appleton and Madison...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MTB Options ...-appleton.jpg  

MTB Options ...-madison-2.jpg  

Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    CaffeineP,
    Thanks for taking the time to create the maps ... I was just logging on to research some of the trails mentioned in posts when I saw this.

So looks like Reforestation is the closest trail for quicker "after work" weekday rides or when time is tight, while the others are a better fit for weekends when several hours can be spent on the trail. Due to the distance of trail systems I'd probably do more road riding during the week since that can be done right from home, and also any cyclocross stuff that can be ridden (gravel roads, logging trails, old railroad?), then reserve the weekends to hit the better mtb trails within an hour+. Not ideal, but very doable.

Of course if I move north and/or west of Appleton by 15-20 miles that could make even more of the mtb trails accessible with limited time ... I'll have to check out the towns on that side of the city/airport (New London, Waupaca, etc). Nice thing about the ATW airport is it's very easily commutable from the surrounding areas. It would be real nice to find lake property in one of the towns north/west ... if it could be found affordable?

As long as there are some decent road rides to be had during the week (with hopefully a few hills to challenge the legs), I think I could make this area work. I'm also looking at some warmer-weather areas for potential move, but WI will always be "home" and I still have quite a few family back there, so it makes a good fit on several fronts ... I'd just have to pick up more winter hobbies!

Thanks again!

Sweep the leg!
    Let us know when you get here.

mtbr member
    Let us know when you get here.
    Will do ... thanks again for the info!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Reforestation, Hartman Creek, and Baird Creek are all about the same drive time from Appleton. around 40-45 minutes for me anyway I live on the North side.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just found out about Bairds Creek and the Reforestation Camp last year and love riding at both places. They're different types of trails. The Reforestation Camp has a good rhythm to it and it isn't very challenging, just a good workout on some decent single track. Bairds is more technical and has more challenging trails. Bairds is free whilst Reforestation Camp is $3/day or $15 for the season. I live on the East side of Green Bay and can get to Baird Creek trails in about 15mins from my house which is excellent.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdrew View Post
    The Reforestation Camp has a good rhythm to it and it isn't very challenging, just a good workout on some decent single track.
    Isn't challenging? You're not hitting all the sections of trail yet. Give it time

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Let me rephrase that, I suppose that they're both challenging in their own ways. Unless I'm missing something at Reforestation besides the 10mi loop of single track, there aren't a lot of really challenging climbs, bridges, etc like Bairds has. Don't get me wrong, I love riding Reforestation as well.

Sweep the leg!
    Let me rephrase that, I suppose that they're both challenging in their own ways. Unless I'm missing something at Reforestation besides the 10mi loop of single track, there aren't a lot of really challenging climbs, bridges, etc like Bairds has. Don't get me wrong, I love riding Reforestation as well.
    There's many more trails that are open to riding than the 10 mile loop. WEMS and WORS use varying portions all the time and the loops are never the same from year to year. Get at vet to show you, like TmonT for instance. Maybe he'll bring G$ with him and they'll show you where the fun is.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Caffeine, I'd love to see/ride what I'm missing. When they open, it would be nice to get together with you guys for a ride some Saturday/Sunday.

Sweep the leg!
    As soon as the cast comes off the leg I'll be ready to roll. I sent a PM to the guru T mon T.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There's many more trails that are open to riding than the 10 mile loop. WEMS and WORS use varying portions all the time and the loops are never the same from year to year. Get at vet to show you, like TmonT for instance. Maybe he'll bring G$ with him and they'll show you where the fun is.
    A lot of those double track hills aren't open to biking during the normal season. Please stay off the trails that are only open to hiking and skiing as we don't need the ski club hating us any more than they already do. If the trail isn't marked with a bike loop sign, do not ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    inteq9, I didn't see your comment until after my last. I'm not interested in going where I shouldn't. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry Caffeine, I'll be sticking to the designated routes @ Reforestation.

Sweep the leg!
    inteq9, I didn't see your comment until after my last. I'm not interested in going where I shouldn't. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry Caffeine, I'll be sticking to the designated routes @ Reforestation.
    I guess we've been riding the trails without regard for signage. While I could give a chit what the hikers and horseback riders think, I don't want to be seen as a hooligan. I guess it's the traditional trails 50 weekends out of the year. If anyone wants to ride the other trails you have to participate in the WORS or WEMS events on those two weekends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The WORS course is usually available for pre-ride from a couple weeks before all the way to the race. But yes, there is still a lot of double track bike trails to ride other than the single track, mix it up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I am from Appleton and you will find lots of riding opportunities available. Road riding, just ride out of your driveway. The roads are not that busy and before you know it you will be in Black Creek or head out to High Cliff State Park for good scenery and some hills. As far as mtn biking Baird Creek is not too far of a drive and there is a ski hill that has singletrack trails just outside of Appleton, I think it is called Calumet, I cant remember, it is near High Cliff. I am a little biased but Appleton is a cool town.

Members who have read this thread: 0