Moving to SE Wisconsin - Advice needed!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Moving to SE Wisconsin - Advice needed!!!

Hey guys/gals!

It looks like i'm going to be moving to SE Wisconsin soon and am looking for places to live. I have family in Lake Geneva so I'm familiar with the area (not the mtbing though...) and love that area but I'll be working in Elkhorn. I need to be able to ride trails from my door (don't mind a long ride on road to get to the trails however...). Is Kettle Moraine better than the riding in Lake Geneva to the point that it would be better to live there? I also don't mind living in Lake Geneva if the trails are slightly worse but the road rides are better as i can always drive to trails on the weekend.

On a separate note...I race cat 1 in Phoenix and was thinking about racing single speed next season but that was prior to the move. is SS'ing fun in WI? Competitive race class or is geared where its at?

Thanks all!

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    To ride trails from your door you will need to live near LaGrange (John Muir trails) or near Canopy tours in Lake Geneva. Canopy tours is a zip line business that also has a just built single track trail. More being built.

Alpine Valley is also constructing single track, so you could live near there too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    To ride trails from your door you will need to live near LaGrange (John Muir trails) or near Canopy tours in Lake Geneva. Canopy tours is a zip line business that also has a just built single track trail. More being built.

Alpine Valley is also constructing single track, so you could live near there too.
    From a fitness standpoint would the John Muir trail be a better one to live near? Can you connect with the Emma Carlin trails?

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    John Muir and Emma Carlin are connected via singletrack and have by far the most miles of trail, (over 30 I am sure). the others would just need multiple laps for equal fitness.

PM me if you need a mortgage!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There is a WORS race at Grand Geneva Resort near Lake Geneva. I think the trails there are pretty good. I think they can be ridden at any time but I may be wrong on that. Get in touch with TreadHead cycling, they are a local group that builds and maintains the trails. Here is a link to the race: #10 | Treadfest | Wisconsin Off Road SeriesWisconsin Off Road Series

As far as racing, singlespeeding is probably fun, but IMHO racing as a Cat 1 amongst the Pros in WORS Elite is pretty awesome.

One thing we know for sure...You'll have plenty of hilly roads by living in that region of the state.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tonith29v6 View Post
    As far as racing, singlespeeding is probably fun, but IMHO racing as a Cat 1 amongst the Pros in WORS Elite is pretty awesome.
    Thanks for the response! Would you say that the fast guys lean towards HT's or FS for the WORS courses?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd say its very close to 50/50 with the fastest (top 10) guys giving a slight nod to FS.