moving to Milwaukee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

moving to Milwaukee

Hello all! I'll be moving to Milwaukee from Ann Arbor, MI the week of July 25th to start a new job. I don't know a single person in Wisconsin so I'm hoping I can use this to meet up with some locals to ride some trails and get to know the area. Anybody have suggestions on where I should live and ride? I'll be working in South Milwaukee and want to keep the commute under 30 minutes. Thanks for the help!

Sean

mtbr member
    There are plenty of great trails within and hour or so of Milwaukee, plus some good stuff right in the city. If I were you, I'd find a place on the East Side. You'll get the benefits of living in a great neighborhood full of bars and restaurants and shopping, and you'll be about 2 blocks from the Milwaukee River Trail. It's a nice technical trail that is a lot of fun right in the heart of the city.
    Punk...Bikes...&...Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I live in Waukesha, about 20-30 Minutes west of Milwaukee depending on the time of day. It is a pretty nice place, in 2008 it was ranked in the Top 30 Cities to live in the nation. As far as trails go your best bet would be the John Muir and Emma Carlin Trails near Palmyra, WI. They are some of the most ridden trails in SE WI, maybe even WI. John Muir is also more popular than Emma Carlin but they are connected to each other. From Waukesha John Muir is about 40 Minutes. Other good areas to live are Brookfield (20 Minutes Away) and Wauwatosa (10-15 Minutes away or Greendale (10-20 Minutes away).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Waukesha is a great place to live. A lot of riders live there also. As said above the best part of Waukesha is the convenience to the Muir/Emma trails.

If you are looking for night life the east side is a great place to be. Plus you are close to the river trails, and if you are a bicycle commuter the Oak Leaf trail goes all over. You can take it down the lake front to South Milwaukee. Not a bad way to start your day.

Wauwatosa (aka. Tosa) is awesome. Nice quiet place to live. Also right by the tosa trails.

I am sure you will be busy on the weekend of July 25th moving, but if you can sneak away for a few hours July 24th there is a WORS race at Crystal Ridge. For more information: www.wors.org

Another great resource for mtn biking in the area is the Milwaukee Metro Mtn bikers. They meet monthly, and are a big reason we have so many great trails in Milwaukee. Either contact MartyW on here, or check out: http://metromountainbikers.com/
    Ray's Indoor Bike Park MKE.
    ------------------------------------------
    It's how I roll..

mtbr member
    +1 for Wauwatosa...it's in the center of the metro area, good local trails, still within 45 minutes of Muir. Check out http://metromountainbikers.com/ for more info on local stuff.

Oh, and make sure you get your season pass to Ray's.

mtbr member
    I'm in Waukesha, 25 minutes to Carlin, 30 to Muir, 25 to Crystal Ridge

It's within your 30min commute to work requirement too.

Welcome to the area! I hope to see ya at a group ride sometime @ Emma/Muir

Cheers,
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Probably one of the bigger better organized clubs in town,

http://metromountainbikers.com/

There are regular meetings and organized rides, plus they are based out of one of the coolest bars in town

Heres some other info on local trails outside of town.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...2&postcount=16

http://bennosbar.tripod.com/home.html#thetop

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm going to be working with Caterpillar (formerly Bucyrus) in South Milwaukee and traveling a ton so it looks like the East side is gonna give me the most bang for the buck. Anyone have friends that need a renter? Definitely appreciate all the help, hope to meet you all sometime!

Pegasus Baby!
    Mar 2009
    Hot laps up and down the river in Grant Park during lunch!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DosRenshos View Post
    Hot laps up and down the river in Grant Park during lunch!
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I moved to Bay View not long ago and don't think I've found all the singletrack in Grant Park. I've heard there is a decent loop.

If coming from the north, where should I get on? I usually ride the Oak Leaf trail down through the park.
    Punk...Bikes...&...Beer

Pegasus Baby!
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by radtad View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I moved to Bay View not long ago and don't think I've found all the singletrack in Grant Park. I've heard there is a decent loop.

If coming from the north, where should I get on? I usually ride the Oak Leaf trail down through the park.
    There really isn't much there but there are some fun sections. There's the stuff lower than the dam following the river and there's some trail going up the hill behind the pavilion on the lake.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Older thread.. but welcome to Brewtown!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX